ITALIAN AMERICANS & "WHITENESS"

In 2002, NYC DJ Chuck Nice, a black man, said: "Italians are niggaz with short memories" (Guglielmo & Salerno 1). The Italian American claim of "whiteness" has been a contentious issue in the United States, going far back before DJ Nice's comment. It began back in Europe with sayings like, "Europe ends at Naples. Calabria, Sicily, and all the rest belong to Africa."

Southern Italians, historically, were discriminated against in the US and in their native country. In Guglielmo & Salerno's book, Are Italians White?, they explain this phenomenon:

>To justify such beliefs, they relied on the 'evidence' provided by Italy's leading positivist anthropologists, who argued that the darker "Mediterranean' southerners were racially distinct from the lighter 'Aryan' northerners because they possessed 'inferior African blood' and demonstrated 'a moral and social structure reminiscent of primitive and even quasibarbarian times, a civilization quite inferior.

Other urls found in this thread:

lachristagreco.com/lachrista-greco-1/2011/05/19/italian-americans-and-whiteness
youtube.com/watch?v=MsEZBSTc3a0
youtube.com/watch?v=S3yon2GyoiM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Mexicans grasping at straws for an even more inferior race than their own

I don't even wanna be considered white. I'm proud of my calabrese blood not ashamed

As southern Italians immigrated to the US in the 1900s, the categorization of them as "non-white" was explored further. Historian Matthew Jacobson said, "'It was not just that Italians did not look white to certain social arbiters, but they did not act white'" (Guglielmo & Salerno, 11). This was because many Italians who first moved to the US took on similar work that African Americans did, and also transgressed color lines, which upset white supremacists. Other ways in which Italian Americans learned they were "inferior" included: lynchings, native-born Americans protesting against riding in streetcars with them, the exclusivity children experienced with regard to schools and social groups, segregated seating in some churches, and negative images of Italians in US newspapers.

It's an interesting dichotomy, because on the one hand, Italian Americans were denied some rights and privileges, however, they were considered "white" by the state for the most part--they could own land, vote, marry whoever, and gain citizenship.

My ancestors came from Calabria, the southern most part of Italy, before Sicily. I've consistently tried to speak with my grandfather about his culture, and he consistently brushes me off, saying, "That's the old country." As a child, I didn't understand this, but as I grew older I realized more and more why it was difficult for my grandfather to welcome his Calabrese identity. When he was in elementary school here in the States, he was forced to speak English and only English. Culture and bi-lingualism was frowned upon. My grandfather assimilated to American life, much like all other immigrants during the time period. This depresses me, as my grandfather, who is now 91, is no longer fluent in his native tongue.

Thats right who wants to be white in a country that openly discriminates

Italians and slavs are the least cucked out of European so maybe being not "white" is good

On the issue of race, my grandfather, though I love him dearly, is abhorrently racist towards African Americans, and I suspect some of this racism stems from what I wrote about above--Southern Italians having been compared to African Americans back in the day, and how that was seen to be negative. Because Italian Americans tried desperately to fit in when they arrived in the US, and they wanted the same privileges as "pure" white Americans, they wanted to squash any comparisons made between themselves and African Americans. Their racist attitudes were fueled by their need for approval and privilege. Caroline Waldron Merithew posits that becoming "American" and becoming "white" were closely linked.

In Kym Ragusa's piece, "Sangu du Sangu Meu: Growing up Black and Italian in a Time of White Flight", she echoes the above sentiment; naming and discussing "white flight":

Racism against niggers is never abhorrent

Also, the darker Italians have some arab blood, not nigger blood.

At the very least they assimilated being white isn't just about genetics or skin color its about culture and fitting in something your people here are failing to do.

>(((Jacobson)))

Italians have never been legally non-white and were never subjected to laws against interracial marriage

The fact that they were discriminated against does not make them socially non-white any more than the fact that the British hate the Poles and the Pakistanis equally does not make the Poles non-white, it just means there were obvious ethnic and cultural differences between Italians and nativeborn Americans the same as between Irish and Poles and Jews versus nativeborn Americans

Notice that the Germans only faced animosity over their language but otherwise there are no tales about how the Germans were perpetually discriminated against. Largely it was along religious lines that nativeborn Americans opposed various European groups as opposed to the racial lines that blacks and Asians were opposed.

Typical kike peddling bullshit to try and divide American society for his benefit.

Every racial group hates niggers

This cycle of displacement/replacement occurred with my Grandfather. The family migrated from Calabria to New York, and from New York to Racine, Wisconsin. Always running--always searching--leaving the "old country" far behind; running away from any insinuation of being non-white.

Whiteness is not always obvious. Is it in the eye of the beholder? My father and I have more than once been asked: "What are you?" In graduate school, my father's peers thought he was the foreign-exchange student because of his dark complexion. They called him a "Spic" (which, at the time, was a slur towards Italians as well as Latinos). I've also come into contact with people's inevitable discomfort in not being able to identify my race and ethnicity immediately, as I've written about before here. The experience is always mesmerizing to me--I feel like, "is this really happening?"

Who was hated more in America Italians or Polish

Whiteness seems to be something people are constantly looking for--either to establish calm or chaos for themselves. When "white" or "non-white" isn't identified immediately, questions abound. Is this fair? Of course not, but does it happen? Most definitely.

Italian Americans and their relation to whiteness has been contentious at best. Now in the year 2011, Italian Americans are no longer faced with the same racial and ethnic discrimination as they were when they first arrived to the U.S. Their race is not usually contested (or discussed for that matter), and the general public has seemingly forgotten the question of whiteness it posed to Italian Americans over 100 years ago.

Now on to other such causes, like getting MTV's, "Jersey Shore" off the air...

lachristagreco.com/lachrista-greco-1/2011/05/19/italian-americans-and-whiteness

I'm still trying to figure out what this mexican is reaching for...

Thanks for telling me I'm not white

Who wants to be white when white people are apparently all evil

Italians arn't white duh

BUILD

Half of them arn't Italian

The Irish

Italians are spics

Annoys the piss out of me that people in this country walk around spouting shit like Irish were not considered white an Spanish and Italians arent white etc.

Italians.

Poles assimilated remarkably well. Italians formed the Mafia.

To be honest, the problem lies in the "Italians" meaning itself.

I live in central Italy, near Rome. I'm italian as far as my generations go.
And I'm one of those with dark hair and eyes, kinda manlet, and slight dark skin.
Your average Italian i guess.

But you see, Northern Italians are more "continental" in every aspect: way of life first, and "whiteness" following.

pic related, a random pic of random people from my area, in one of the beach parties that are starting with the warm season.

We're very mixed in aspect, but we're far from niggers, and far from anglo-white.

They aren't but they sure look like spics

he's upset he'll never be part of the true human race and wants to bring down the goombas with him

I think most Italians would acknowledge their half-breed status. Especially the southerners.

Everyone still loves Italians though.

I thought this was settled. Northern Italians are white, and Southern Italians are a hit or miss, and then Sicilians might as well be Mexicans.

lol they look so stereotypical

They all look like Brazilians. There's even trannies there ffs.

>Italians
>White

italians are not white
anglos are not white
spanish are not white

>Notice that the Germans only faced animosity over their language but otherwise there are no tales about how the Germans were perpetually discriminated against. Largely it was along religious lines that nativeborn Americans opposed various European groups as opposed to the racial lines that blacks and Asians were opposed.Typical kike peddling bullshit to try and divide American society for his benefit.

This guy gets it.

My family got invited to America from Sicily in the 1900's to work with the Mexicans. We assimilated with white America and I get called white all the time. It just gives me ammo to use against SJW "you're a fucking white male" bullshit. They shut the fuck up fast after I call them out for misjudging my cultural identity.

There are multiple US Supreme Court cases that affirm that Mexicans are white. Technically, every filthy Paco that crosses the border is white when as soon as he comes into US jurisdiction.

Still wanna come here?

The US government considers spics, Arabs, Jews, Berbers, and Persians do all be white.

Our government sucks.

My father's side came here from Italy. I may not be white, but I'm smart enough to know that Mexicans are no good wetbacks and we need to keep them out. These white guys have been doing a good job, why would I want to swap them out for spics and niggers?

Family is from Liguria, fuck off spic

Hispanic/Latino =/= Mestizo

You guys get all the Mestizos though. There's little to no reason why Castizos and well off Native Latinos should immigrate to USA. They are already wealthy.

Can you even read a map? It says the opposite.

no it doesnt shitskin

where are you from? Why is everybody in this picture so ugly?

>My grandfather assimilated to American life, much like all other immigrants during the time period. This depresses me
It really shouldn't. I mean yeah it's great knowing several languages and having a unique culture to contribute but it's been abused by shitskins speaking in clicks and thinking cannibalism is a quaint cultural export (okay that's hyperbole but still). I think all Western nations are moving closer to a zero tolerance policy for its peoples and immigrants, a return to the old ways where you assimilated or you were permanently segregated and abused.

Central Italy. Don't know about the ugliness of the people, but I don't cherry pick beautiful people to impress people on /pol.

That's what to me seems the people's average.

>"Europe ends at Naples. Calabria, Sicily, and all the rest belong to Africa."
Southern Italy was under Moorish rule for 900 years. There's truth to it.

Fuck off, slavic subhuman.

ok we aren't white my spic friend
so ?

Northern Italy = true master race.

Too lazy to make a collage of with Gallileo, Volta, Roman Emperors etc. More Italian geniuses than in any other race. Deal with it.

You're white!

>>>/africa/

Seriously? What about all of the Slavic subhumans and the Turks?

The only non-white dagos are the Sicilians, aside from that Italians are white.

Divide and conquer is a cheap shot attempt by the kikes.

Still don't go to Naples.
Even today can be compared to Detroit, but not because of niggers, but the Neapolitans themselves.

They're son of a bitch inside their soul

>not because of niggers, but the Neapolitans themselves
So because of niggers

Seriously? You're the faggot trying to divide the white race and I'm supposedly the nigger?

At least Anglos and Mediterraneans are not mongolian rape babies or shit tier immigrants, go get drunk on Vodka or something and give this laptop back to the German you stole it from.

The guys look like homosexuals

I do not know a single Italian person that doesn't identify as white

t. 1/4 German, 1/4 North Italan, 1/4 South Italian, 1/4 English mongrel

What's up with all your doughy feminine mama boys. High estrogen or are you all just faggots?

>They're son of a bitch inside their soul

>I don't even wanna be considered white

Nobody does. When Jessica Alba found out she was 97% white on The George Lopez Show, she was absolutely horrified. White ancestry is something that should be reviled and kept hidden.

youtube.com/watch?v=MsEZBSTc3a0

That's the remnants of the Hipster wave as how it crashed here.

now they all have those beards and faded long top hair and sleeved up skinny trousers

They all seem to me gay lumberjacks still

Oh fuck off. You want to live in America and have a good paying job? You're gonna assimilate and learn to speak English. The reason your grandpa doesn't speak of Sicily? He left it because it was a shit hole with a backwards culture. Any culture that actively supports mobs running politics should rightfully be left in the dust.

>Irish
>hated

Hipsters *are* gay lumberjacks, my dago wop friend.

Nope. Northern Italians are not white. If you are even part Northern Italian you aren't white.

>I don't know anything about 1800s politics

The first fucking nativist party was against the Irish dumbfuck.

Ignore the stupid nigger, leaf bro.

The Irish are a very respectable people with a rich cultural background.

Persians are white tho.

>Italians aren't white not even North

Enjoy being brainwashed by those filthy kikes, good goyim.

Oh god the hipster beards, i'm so fucking mad at those. It's like they're making in some fagfactory, beard, square glasses, flanel shirt, overweight

And now i need to shave mine to avoid being confused with this degeneracy

Do you really have a tv show where celebrities take dna tests to talk about >muh heritage?

t. Ulster faggot

No, they're sandniggers.

Pretty much *all* of them have been mixed with brown Semitic Arab blood.

leave subhuman

Northern Italians are not master-race AT ALL. All famous North Italians were just Germans. And Roman Emperors were Southern Italian.

What an awful pic of her absolutely no curves looks like a boy body

BTW Brits are not white. They descend from Ancient Celts which even the Romans said were dark. Like John Oliver. You're not white. Stop trying to divide and conquer.

>To justify such beliefs, they relied on the 'evidence' provided by Italy's leading positivist anthropologists, who argued that the darker "Mediterranean' southerners were racially distinct from the lighter 'Aryan' northerners because they possessed 'inferior African blood' and demonstrated 'a moral and social structure reminiscent of primitive and even quasibarbarian times, a civilization quite inferior.

Obligatory:
youtube.com/watch?v=S3yon2GyoiM

>it's a "italians are not white" episode

No, I'm Anglo.

>2016
>Still hating Irish people

Pathetic brainwashed faggot but what more can I expect from a country controlled by the kikes?

Everyone does

Everyone does!

You leave you fucking leaf faggot.

Slavs are shit tier immigrants like the Pakis.

>but I don't cherry pick beautiful people to impress people on /pol.

That's literally what all the spics do in the "Hispanic bro-tier threads" kek

You're alright, user.

yeah they look Portuguese

You're not really Anglo. Anceint Britain was never actually white. Romans considered the Celts living there to be darker than they were. And Anglo-Saxony only makes up a very small amount of British DNA. You're a mongrel. Germans and Scandinavians are the white people.

that's cool white people are sissified anyway

Fuck off subhuman mongrel.

You're such a dumb nigger/kike if you believe that.

STFU sissy.

Anglo-Irish masterrace.

America is for the Anglo-Celtic-Germanic

All Latins and Slavs get out.

You're a fucking idiot. Vikings described the English as being swarthy and so did the Normans. Even the Roman legion said they were swarthy.

>A DNA test whose results were displayed on the show Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates, Jr. (2014) stated that Jessica’s genetic ancestry is:

72.7% European
22.5% East Asian/Native American (Indigenous Mexican)
2.0% Sub-Saharan African
0.3% Middle Eastern/North African
0.1% South Asian
2.4% No Match

Make me you filthy leaf degenerate.

Go and witness another transexual marriage you ugly faggot.

I watched your clip. She isn't absolutely horrified. Surprised and disappointed yeah, but not horrified.

>lachristagreco.com/lachrista-greco-1/2011/05/19/italian-americans-and-whiteness

One comment says:
>America must never forget the horrible things they did to us. And we Italians should see blacks as our brothers and sisters since we faced similar oppression to them and were treated with the same disrespect they were treated with. As far as I'm concerned, Italians in America have been the victim of the white man just as much as all other minorities.

kek

That picture clearly shows a drunken Irish guy. You're a potato-nigger and not welcomed in America.

Shut up you ugly inbred, you filthy creep.

Fuck yeah!

I believe that America would function better if run by the Anglos, Irish and Germans. Italians can stay but the Slavs, wetbacks and niggers can fuck off back to where they came from.

>run by Anglos
No. Anglos had to be run by Germans because the truth is Anglos aren't actually Anglo. They 90% celt and not fit to run their own civilization.

>we Italians

Do italo-americans know how much Italians despise them?

We are still classed as Germanic, moron.

If anything, we were raped by the Vikings.

italians can have white kids if they intermarry