Let's talk about "indie"

No one seriously calls Radiohead "indie" so why do people pretend artists like Sufjan Stevens, whose last two albums were in the top 10 of the Billboard 200, and Beach House (same case) are? Just stop it.

because Radiohead has always been signed to major labels and Sufjan has always been signed to independent ones.
It's the most obvious answer possible, why would you even make this thread?

more or less, at least:
indie=pop music marketed as underground

radiohead is just too popular to be considered indie, probably

Are you talking about indie as a musical style or as a descriptor of how music is released?

Kind of funny how Bjork is technically indie, she's been on the same small label since 1986.

sufjan could literally make it to #1 on billboard and he'd technically still be indie since he's on an independent label he founded

meanwhile beach house is signed by sub pop, which is owned by one of the largest media corporations in the world, so they wouldn't be indie even if their albums sold no copies

that doesn't make one "indie" anymore. Chance the Rapper is not "indie"

damn he looks old.

see

Sufjan isn't a twink anymore? When did that happen?

not musical style because then Radiohead would be considered indie. I'm talking about the popularity of the artist.

popularity has nothing to do with being indie

Jesus Christ, people are still arguing about this?

Hey guys, what's "real emo"?

either this is well crafted bait (kudos) or you're retarded. indie either refers to a sound or to independence from a major label, both of which would apply to sufjan stevens and beach house. popularity has nothing to do with it

He's 41 now. Time's a bitch

He was still twinky a year ago or so. Guess it just hit him all of a sudden.

how so? you're trying to tell me Macklemore is indie (not independent)? fuck off

yes, macklemore is literally the biggest indie success story of the 2010s, although he technically had a lot of distribution/promotion help from warner

he's not indie imo. nothing will change my opinion.

Who the fuck cares about genre?

I don't really care about your opinion, I just explained the opinions of others, as you requested

That isn't funny at all