/2017/

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/~Androol
zwidy.bandcamp.com/releases
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

recommended albums (of lesser known releases)

Brendan Byrnes - Neutral Paradise (microtonal synthpop)
Clap! Clap! - A Thousand Skies (african influenced uk bass)
Hadouk - Le Cinquième Fruit (jazz)
Кpacнoзнaмeннaя Дивизия Имeни Moeй Бaбyшки – Пocмepтныe пpиключeния (indie pop)
Temples - Volcano (psychedelic pop)
Dutch Uncles - Big Balloon (new wave)

Squarepusher 's live band might be my favorite album this year

Who else is excited for the new Brockhampton mixtape to drop?

Really liked the new TOPS record too, wanna spend some more time with that today.

Hi friend, I've been meaning to listen up on 2017 jazz. Anything other than Hadouk that I should check out?

Really been appreciating this thing for the last week. it starts off by laying out a basic beat and a la james murphy builds upon itself in cool ways.

>best tracks
Bambadea
The Village

check out the new Nicole Mitchell album for 2017 jazz

>humanz over the gag file

that physically hurts

Cheers man, just put it on the list.

There's a guy who posts a heap of jazz (who I got the Hadouk rec from), but apart from that I haven't heard anything else.

Humanz got a 6 from me because even though it was disappointing, it had some decent standalone tracks on it. The Gag File just wasn't for me, nothing against the album itself but it's not a style I enjoy much.

Oh nice didn't realise Clap Clap had a new album out.

All time low - last young renegade
Code orange - forever
Minus the bear - voids
Paramore - After laughter
Persona 5 OST

Looking forward to the new trapped under ice and Silverstein, pvris, the acacia strain, envy on the coast, and Portugal. The man

still have to listen to new richard dawson, pharmakon, gas

>Rates Humanz the same as DAMN.

This was my first time hearing them, so I'll definitely need to go back and check out their older material

I'll check these out

I'm a big fan of Gorillaz previous albums, and I haven't heard too much Kendrick but TPAB was really good, so I went into both these albums with high expectations, but ended up being disappointed with the overall result. As a whole, both these albums were unsatisfying for me, but still contained a few great tracks.

amazing year so far

Dilloway = Yachty
brohomie.

If you've only listened to DAMN. once or twice then give it another listen. I don't understand how anybody who likes good hip hop can say that songs like Pride, Duckworth, Lust, Feel, or Fear aren't great

I just listened to the new Oxbow and it's really good. It might be new AOTYsf but pic related is an excellent. This will be close.

Definitely!

I keep seeing people talk about how bad 2017 has been, but I keep finding great releases. I guess when it comes to more popular artists, the quality has not been as good, but I've discovered so many good albums from artists I'm unfamiliar with.

A rating system like I've got is pretty unspecific, but it's generally just a representation of how much I enjoyed the album. Yachty got a 4 because it was a pretty awful album, way too many tracks on it, and only a few decent ones. When talking about his album, I would say it's not good.

Dilloways though, is more because it's not a genre I'm too much into. I wouldn't call it a bad album, just an album that's not for me.

I give every album at least 3 full listens before rating. It did have some good tracks, for sure, but a lot of the tracks I didn't get much from them. The album as a whole didn't feel as grandiose as TPAB, it was a bit rougher around the edges. TPAB worked so much better and felt so much more complete to me, whereas DAMN didn't have to same vibe.

I was gonna give that Oxbow album a listen but after previewing it and hearing that voice I don't think I could look past it.

I think DAMN. was intentionally made to be a little unpolished. Yeah, that's a cop out excuse in most cases, but the album cover/title and overall vibe really hints that it was meant to be personal and never really contrived.

I'm not a big fan of political music, so maybe that's why I prefer it to TPAB. I understand your criticism though.

Have you tried listened to Damn in reverse order?

Yeah he was definitely aiming for that type of rougher aesthetic with DAMN, just as a personal preference I didn't enjoy it as much.

I can understand the political themes of TPAB not being for everyone, even for me the main factor I look for in music is interesting sounds, whether it be compositionally, textually or sonically, and lyrics usually play a smaller role in my enjoyment. I guess with TPAB I liked how confrontational it was, how he didn't hold back, the introspection, it very much felt like a proud release. It flowed so well, and I did like the production a lot too, with the funk influences in some tracks.

I'm not a huge Kendrick fan though. Outside of TPAB I've only heard GKMC a few times and not really that familiar with it.

I think you should try it still. The performances he gives vary quite a bit but there are plenty of times he sings more clearly.

rateyourmusic.com/~Androol

got a link to the new tops by chance? cant find it anywhere

Yeah I might give it a shot

got a list of the album names?

This is everything I've listened to and enjoyed from this year so far. I'm a basic bitch in case you couldn't tell.

zwidy.bandcamp.com/releases
math core

Nah man sorry, I streamed it.

Glad to see Steve Lacy on here, he is criminally underrated

suck a nigga dick for 2017

oh hey look its the album of the year

honestly might be my favorite rock album of the 10s. up there with zs - xe, horse lords - interventions, and women - public strain.

its pic related seriously any good? i mean i love the seldom seen kid, and the takeoof and landing...
but i have put on pic related and it doesnt catch me

phew is fucking awesome, my AOTY so far. Im going to check out your chart.

pshh

Horrible taste on every front. Don't miss the next p4k review or you might fall behind on this year's releases.

It's really quite the grower. When it first came out and I reviewed it for the radio station I work at I just thought it was nice and inoffensive but came back to it because I wanted something chill to help me fall asleep and it started catching my attention more and more. It's really grown on me but I can understand it not clicking right away. Maybe let it sit for a while ans come back to it.