How bad is it for a dog to live with no eyes? not just blind but no eyes at all

how bad is it for a dog to live with no eyes? not just blind but no eyes at all.

shes only 4 years old, still acts like a puppy so energetic, not like my older dogs that went mostly blind but could still see shapes and spent most of the day relaxing.

is it considered bad to put her down because of it? i feel so sad thinking of this lively energetic pup not able to see.

anyone have fully blind dog??

Just because it has no eyes, doesn't mean it should be dead.

Give your blind doggo a good life.

My friend has one. He used to walk around the house fine, he would bump stuff every now and then. Don't put your dog down OP. Dogs adapt very quickly and will carry on with their lives

No

any experience with this? im worried because im not home very often and the kind of work i do requires me to do things that are bad for dogs, such as moving furniture.

Just follow the example picture I've provided and everything should be okay.

thats depressing man

I had a blind dog about two years ago. It went blind when it was 9. It would bump into things very often at the start of it's blindness. It died when it was 11. Started having seizures so e put it down. Don't put your dog down and just appreciate it and enjoy it while it is still alive.

im more worried about my dogs enjoyment. i keep reading about how the young ones tend to get depressed and some never shake it. we live in a big city with so much noise and such a small apartment

very good question, 10 points for Gryffindor

I have a dog that was a rescue with one eye. Got him at three years. After five years he managed to hurt himself and detach his retina. We tried to keep the eye but sadly due to it becoming infected over and over it had to be removed. I can assure you he is still as happy as ever, even at 9 years. Never once thought about putting him down and he still really enjoys his walks.

Keep her around. Her sense of smell and hearing will keep her good enough.

I don't live in the city, and alot of noise (especially ones he's never heard before) bug my dog. Kinda puts a different twist on the situation. I would say give him/her as much love as possible and see whether the dog maintains a happy disposition.

thats my big fear is we live in a developing neighborhood in hollywood and theres construction year round, its the kind of neighborhood where you cant sleep in because of construction, at night there's parties, constantly helicopters looking for criminals, random fights in the street. they're almost done iwth the latest building but they've already startedo n the next one.

its just me and her and i work most of the day. she doesn't have other dogs or kids or anyone to play with while im at work or busy.

im just so scared. my parents advised i put her down but i just dont know. she doesn't know how to play by herself. she ignores chew toys. she ignored the 175 dollar go bone i got her. i just dont know

The dog will be fine. you will just need to always lead her around on a leash. blind dogs make better dogs, no chasing squirrels or cars. If she can eat, sleep and tell you when she need to go outside there is not reason to put her down you twat. stop trying to get feels here. if you don't want to deal with a blind dog..... i'll take her.

you're not addressing any of my concerns, you're just saying it will be fine with her doing nothing all day.

would you take her? do you have pets she could play with ?

I have three dogs, while one is a little asshate and doesn't help. My other dog seems to stick around the blind one and help him out. Maybe getting another dog would be an option? Depending how long your gone a day is really going to make or break it since you need to obviously train it/make sure there getting along

generally about 8 hours a day for work, more if were filming. ive considered another dog option but we have such a tiny apartment in the city and most of my income comes from being able to rent out the spare room, if i have two dogs that becomes more difficult.

ive considered trying to send her up north to my family because they have another dog but they are suggesting i put her down if the second eye is a lost cause.

>grandmother had the sweetest dog
>named "Nirvana"
>big beautiful pup
>as she got older, she lost her sight
>she couldnt hear very well
>she began to have trouble going to the bathroom
They had to put her down.
She was such a nice pup.
Rip Pupper

your concern is that she is energetic, but will be blind. i said she will be fine. it sounds like you shouldn't really have a dog tho.....so are you more the problem? Sounds like you haven't figured out how to get his/her energy out. do you go for runs with the dog? dog park? THE DOG WILL ADAPT TO BEING BLIND, YOU ARE THE ONE YOU WILL HAVE MORE TROUBLE ADAPTING IT SEEMS.

And i'll say again, there is not reason to put a dog down if it can eat and control its bladder.....its inhumane to do so in fact.

with my previous dogs we kept them alive for awhile after they went blind because they were old so they mostly just chilled anyway and when a dog goes 'blind' they can actually still see stuff, like shapes and shadows and bright lights. but in this case shes losing both eyes. but shes also only 5.

no dog park in running distance, i walk her daily but after 8+ hours of work we average about half an hour.

>you are the one who will have more trouble adapting it seems

yes, i work 8+ hours a day and the only way i could see my self adapting to this is to quit my job.

so then it sounds like you should find a new home for the dog..... not put it down. Why are you jumping to euthanasia? There are people who will take your dog, but you are still a piece of shit for even having this conversation man. Go look in the mirror and have a good think.

pretty much what im wrestling with. i suppose I'm just an inherently bad person, just a piece of shit, and nothings going to change that unfortunately.

never too late man. sorry if im harsh, but i would never give up on animal. i have a blind (can see light and shadows) and deaf cat who is the best.

>never too late

according to you im a piece of shit for even having this conversation, the conversation literally being 'is it considered bad to put her down because of it'.

so pick a side and stick with it. i came here asking about morality and was told im a piece of shit for not already knowing the answer.