Why do people pretend to like Avant Garde music?

Why do people pretend to like Avant Garde music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0TcLzIm7rWY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How about you swallow my cum

If you "listen" to meme modern composers like stockhausen, reich, cage, etc.. but dismiss classical, baroque, renaissance and romanticism composers, you're the cancer that is plaguing this board and your taste is abysmal

It's actually the opposite.

>Why am I unable to get into avant garde music like everyone else?

for those that like experimental and avant-garde jazz and rock music, baroque // romantic // renaissance classical doesn't really hit hard enough

i remember being at a mahler concert and wanting it to be far more experimental - despite him being extremely grandiose and massive sounding

No, you're just a shallow human being who pretends to know about music when in fact you just really listen to music for image
Not true at all, most people who worked in the experimental music and avant-garde music field admitted drawing influences from these eras
Maybe you just don't like Mahler's approach but there are a lot of other romantic composers you might very well like, it is an acquired taste after all

wow you saw mahler live? you must be really old

You don't understand. It's Ok.

do you even gesualdo bro

throw me some classical artists that i'll like if i like yowie / kletka red / tipographica / rale / carla bley / john zorn

lol
it was bbc proms - ticket cost like 6 quid (4$) because we queued all day for it

just sounds like you're approaching common practice stuff wrong. it's like expecting postmodern aesthetics out of shakespeare when that isn't the case, and when classical works are ineffable on account of their own virtues

literally no one does this

Why would anyone pretend to like Stockhausen? It's easy listening stuff.

>xd le 2deep4u
As expected from your ignorance

Oh sweet user, how wrong you are

Stockhausen isn't even among the most challenging avant-garde artists. at least imo, stuff like serialism and spectralism are way more difficult to enjoy than anything I've heard from Stockhausen. Stockhausen at least often has stuff like tonality and melody and the like. So citing Stockhausen as an example of avant-garde music that people must only pretend to be liking is really dumb and ignorant.

Musicnis music. Not fashion. Morom.

It was an example. Besides, most of his works fall under the serialism subgenre, so yeah... I could have named Murail, Takemitsu, Partch or several musique concrete and electroacoustic artists, but that wouldn't serve any purpose since the people I criticize don't even dig more than the entry-level stuff
Well, apparently a lot of people on this board and other music-related websites don't seem to understand this simple yet obvious fact

Murail isn't Electroacoutsic or Musique Concrète.
Name dropping obscure modern classical doesn't make you look smart.

I don't know what fucking people you are talking about. I have literally never seen someone in my life say they love challenging modern avant-garde music but don't have respect for the OG composers. I think you are inventing things to be upset about.

>calls poster a "morom"
>not a "morom"

I listen to modern classical and early music, not so keen on the common practice era. Classical just seems like simplified baroque and romantic is classical but crescendo-core with no innovation in musical structures or compositional techniques to support it, while early music is complex and has an improvisational aspect to it that was unfortunately destroyed by Clementi and Beethoven. I listen to modern classical also to get ideas for my own compositions, plus composers have access to a larger variety of instruments and electronic music so they are more able to realise their ideas, I really like Fausto Romitelli's "An Index of Metals" for example, because it uses electric guitars and glitch music in a creative way not seen before in classical or popular music.

Do you have difficulties with reading comprehension? I never implied that. user mentioned spectralism (which is why I named Murail), and then i mentioned electroacoustic and musique concrete as a further example to why it would be useless to mention deeper artists than what is entry-level. Work on that issue, user.

I admit I read that wrong. Shit, sorry.

why do you get bent out of shape because you are too stupid to enjoy avant garde music?

>tfw to smart too not enjoy random noise

>random noise

spoken like someone who has never studied theory or educated themselves in any way whatsoever on avant-garde music.

put your trip back on unty

Anyone who dismisses something as "random noise" isn't really even paying attention at all.

not only are you a pleb but you're proud of it. truly disgusting

Because I actually like it

I think we all agree on that.

You don't really have to be particularly smart to enjoy it. But it helps a lot to have some background information and to understand the context.

Also I think Stockhausen isn't the best example. Formalist composers tend to care about how something is organized more than they care about how it sounds. That approach can be interesting, but it's kind of missing the point; music is fundamentally supposed to be listened to. Perception should be more important than organizational principles. The GRM composers approached composition in a more empirical way, and I think they got much better results.

youtube.com/watch?v=0TcLzIm7rWY

pleased to meet you

Is this a new reverse pretentiousness?

pleased to meet you too

It's advance music for advance autism.

Nicely memed.