Should I go to my local trade school for their NDT program or their welding program...

Should I go to my local trade school for their NDT program or their welding program? Looking for some pros and cons of each. Thanks!

NDT without a doubt; I work closely around both and I'm yet to understand how welders deal with being constantly exposed to fumes.

>I'm yet to understand how welders deal with being constantly exposed to fumes.
because it smells gud

The welding program will most likely allow you the most varied opportunities. There is welding work in a whole shit ton of types of work environments. I also believe the welding route has better opportunity to strike out on your own and work for yourself.

Yeah, smells great by the time you're 35 and dying.

The welding industry isn't what it once was. I have a structural welding cert and I'm building cars instead. Depending where you live the pay is a fucking joke.

How likely is it to get a job doing ndt as opposed to welding? I'm in western Washington state if it makes a difference. Is the pay drastically different between the two?

Thanks fellas

Sup puget sound fag where you is?

You'll be more likely to find a job as a welder there's more work available.

Some welders make stacks on construction gigs, if you land a job as a NDT with a service company in oil/gas/mining/etc you'll make skrill.

Ask yourself what you'd like doing more; personally I'd choose NDT.

I welded for 35 years and I was only out
oof work when i wanted to be...you can work anywhere you want...my best year i made 89,000
with lots of overtime

I'm in Tacoma wanting to get the fuck out

Tactown here too, fucking Thomas I swear to god.....
Anyways I'd go with ndt in the 2 seconds it took google to tell me it was testing vs fume huffing.

Engineer who worked at a pressure vessel fabricator for 10 years. Your pic is rolled and welded plate so is relevant.

NDT is a niche job. You'll have 2 types of jobs to go for.

One will be a full time job at a fabricator, of which they will only need 1 or 2 technicians per 50 welders.

The other would be at a NDT lab, who sends technicians to site or factories to do jobs. Lots of travel involved, workload dependent a lot on manufacturing being in a good place. Which it isn't.

Unless manufacturing is booming in your country, both options suck as they are linked. Manufacturers are shutting down left and right. Everything is being imported from China.

I know as my workplace went bust and I now import steel products from China to sell back to the same industry I worked in. I'm shaking my head even typing this,,,

Yeah I worked as a painter at Newport news shipbuilding for a year or two and the NDT guys definitely seemed to have it easier than the welders. Will having no weld experience be a detriment when looking for an NDT gig?

Welding experience would help in landing a NDT gig but it's not essential.

Imo NDT guys have it MUCH easier than welders, maybe I'm just biased though.

What trade would you go for based on your experience?

I been wanting to go to a trade school too, been thinking about welding or truck driving. the only shit thing is the good truck driving school is 50 minutes 1 direction. and living around it ain't gonna happen..

and welding I feel like I'm going in blind as to what to get certified in.. as I have no particular goal in mind.

I suppose the biggest thing is how much is your late life worth to you. I refuse to touch a machine for less than $30/hour or very competitive production pay. Shit has been linked to cancer,Parkinson's, more cancer etc. You also have years of brutal arthritis and busted knees to look forward to.

Yeah I'm feeling pretty lost and it seems like a good time to learn a trade. I have no clue what to go to school for though.

I'm in Australia, which is well on the wrong side of a mining boom. Its all in the shit atm. I only know Engineering and fabrication is not the place to aim for over here.

If I had my time again, computer game industry would be my pick. Got friends in it having a ball.

But a guy looking to be a welder might not be thinking of that sort of thing.

you feel like every chad an their cousin tells ya that what ever you're looking into is "dying" and "not what it use to be" ?? I feel like everything I look into I hear the same shit spelled different ways.

You learn to Bob and weave, duck and dodge. there's always a good spot to have your face.

I just got laid off from a remote front end developer job. Tbh I was starting to go a little crazy working from home and I fucking hate the culture. I really want to get away from dev work.

Also bright
Also hot

Nice trips. Yeah I don't know how the fuck anyone makes a living and more, everything I think about doing won't exist in 5 years according to the people I ask.

as a welder I'll tell ya we typically will have fume extractors but if not holding the breath helps too haha

>This

And se also have these as our personal protection....they dont clear out farts fyi...