Do you guys know any objective tests for depression?

Do you guys know any objective tests for depression?
I feel like shit a lot, but I want to know if that's genuine mental illness or just being plain old neurotic.

Other urls found in this thread:

hr.ucdavis.edu/asap/pdf_files/Beck_Depression_Inventory.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's just a part of life user. It's normal.

Fuck, that just makes me want to kill myself even more.
Does it get any better?

Yes, answer this question honestly:

Do you suffer from depression?

If you answered yes you have depression, if you answered no you don't have depression, if you don't know go ask a fucking doctor you dumbfuck.

I don't have money for that.

Don't think there's any truly objective tests when it comes to depression.
Even trained professionals can be staring it in the face and still miss it, and vice versa.

If you go two weeks feeling like shit and having suicidal thoughts and feeling worthless and not feeling like doing anything, then you're probably depressed

>Do you guys know any objective tests for depression?

hr.ucdavis.edu/asap/pdf_files/Beck_Depression_Inventory.pdf

There are no "objective" tests for depression. It's not like they can do a urine screen, idiot.

Fuck, I've felt like that for 5 years.

Yeah, but I need to know if it's something I should be watching out for.

Same but for 2 years

Do you visit any boards on Sup Forums more than twice a week? There is your depression test

By that metric, nearly everyone on here would be depressed.

I assumed they were this isn't a place for happy people user. Happy people are enjoying the real world not browsing this shit fest of a website

>Do you guys know any objective tests for depression?

you can get a brain scan done.

I honestly didn't know I was depressed when I first went on meds. I was so used to being sad, lonely, hopeless - the only time I felt good was when I Was high.

when I came off smack that first time - they put me on an SSRI, and It was really interesting. I stopped going quite as low - was more functional. Now I have a baseline for what "good/bad" vs "fucking hopeless" feel like.

that seems like a good place to start. If you are rocking 3/4s the whole time - maybe talk to a therapist.

I'll tell you my symptoms - when depression is kicking my ass

1) can't get out of bed
2) feel "fucked" like my best days are behind me
3) hate myself
4) I get this pain of loniless or something inside my chest. I didn't notice it, until it was gone ( taking meds ) ... now I can feel it slowly building up when I'm off my meds, or sometimes during the winter - the depression takes hold anyway.. just not for as long.

There is a test, it's called go to the fucking doctor.

Yeah, especially at this time of night.
At least where I am.

I get a couple of those, but most of the time if there's something that I know can't be ignored, I get out of bed.
But most days, I regret that I woke up.

It doesn´t really get better in the conventional sense, you wont become happy and a normal functioning member of society like almost everyone else. However, people with depression realize that you´re gonna die eventually and usually, for people like us, there´s not much to lose in life to begin with, so you could say that you´re more free than everyone else.

For example and I can only talk about personal experience here, you always know that you can always end it at any given minute. If you dont feel like doing anything, just dont do it, there´s no real consequences, like yeah you wont have money to buy things, but things are artificial and have no meaning. You won´t have that much food, but you´ll get by with very little anyway.
If you do decide to go to a job and you like it, great, but if you dont, there´s no reason for you to not call your boss a cocksucking donkeycum devouring shitwhore and shit walk away.
Be free man

>brain scan
What kind of test would I ask for?

Does that inventory have a good scale?

>But most days, I regret that I woke up.
either something is wrong with your life situation, and needs changing - or you are suffering from depression.

for me I know when it is depression because my life is pretty good. but when I'm depressed I fucking hate it - and hate myself.

I Dont know my therapist was telling me about one here in tucson that does it, but then she retired and I lost track of it. I'm sure you can googlefu some answers.

>Does that inventory have a good scale?
what does this mean?

What I mean is does the inventory provide an accurate reflection on levels of depression?
I just took it and I got a 28, which indicates moderate depression, but until recently I always thought of depression as something so bad that you simply can't carry on with your life and if you did have it there's not a shadow of a doubt that you do.

>I just took it and I got a 28, which indicates moderate depression, but until recently I always thought of depression as something so bad that you simply can't carry on with your life and if you did have it there's not a shadow of a doubt that you do.

no, here is the problem. Depression is all self reporting, and you don't have an idea of what it is like to be anyone but yourself. Are you experiencing the normal ups and downs of life? Or are you fucking depressed. There are definitely shades of depression.

I "functioned" from 13-26 by just drinking on the weekend, listening to sad fucking music, getting into stupid relationships, etc. There are many ways to cope. But looking back, it is a real shame I didn't get into therapy much sooner.

I wonder if Im depressed too, ever since I finished college its been increasingly worse. I dont get suicidal thoughts or any self harm stuff.
But I do tick the other "generic" boxes, feel like shit, always tired, hate myself most days, think this is as good as it gets and I should accept it and try get into a local job cause why bother etc

I always hate how people use "depression" as an excuse to be a little bitch. the difference between us is when I feel like shit I man up, not make excuses like a weak willed faggot

Hows that small dick treating ye sunshine?

Maybe I should just suck it up and go to a doctor.
Even if it's not really serious, it's better to nip this in the bud before it gets the chance to become a big problem.

>always tired, hate myself most days, think this is as good as it gets and I should accept it and try get into a local job cause why bother etc

right? is it just "real life" or is something wrong? I struggle with that... and I'm meds. here is one common problem - 95% of people don't have a good foundation for dealing with the real world. Our society feeds us lots of shit - money, cars, hot women, jobs, etc... things that we judge ourselves on, and that we should work towards. Most people don't know how to admit they are wrong, apologize, deal with conflict, change themselves, etc etc. most people just have the tools they were handed down by their parents and family. And that ain't shit.

br8b8m8

i want to say encouraging words to user but you just nailed it.
>once you realize that life sucks and your childhood dreams are horseshit you will be free. Stop worrying about what you family or society wants from you. Go for whatever it is that you want to do with all of your energy. Best case all your dreams come true. Worst case you jump off a fucking building like you are already considering. Try your outlandish dream before you say fuck it all

Forgot to add, I dont sit around doing nothing most of the time. I force myself to do work, see friends, go for a walk, generally "Get out of the house". Which is why I always assumed i dont have "Legit" depression, because apparently depressed people cant do that shit. So I dunno Anons, Im just a confused and sad user.

Sure - I will give you a word of warning...

if you go in and tell them you are suicidal or w/e. they will want to see if you have

>intention
>means

If you have both of those - they have to call the police. so it is cool to say "I feel suicidal"

>are you planning on acting on it? ( they always ask something similar )

>No, I do not plan on acting on it.

Thats pretty much it user, especially the bit about people only have the tools they were handed, 100% spot on for most people in my life.

Jump off a building. If you bounce you aren't depressed, cause you're always trying to get back up.

If you don't bounce then yes, you're depressed and should seek a shrink to take your money to chat with you for an hour.

And remember, 'Therapist' is really 'the rapist'.

Thanks, I'll remember that.

I hate to say this b/c people will shit on me for it, but I got into NA / AA - and the 12 steps contain some really solid tools for handling life. They aren't perfect, and they aren't the only ones - but some of the basic life skills are there. Also being around other people who are legit working to improve themselves has been helpful.

For some people it is church rules that show them how to act - but frankly I think most of those are complete shit.

>And remember, 'Therapist' is really 'the rapist'.

Its past your bedtime, 7th grader

The other thing they have to report in my state is any child abuse. So if you have something like that in your past ( I fucked a 14 yr old when I was 20 ) - you need to ask your therapist what rules they work under.

Those are sort of the only two weird things. I've never worried about what I say to my therapists - with those two situations though I just make them "hypothetical".

I'm out - good luck OP. hope things pick up for you. life can be pretty good.

Fuck yea it is.

Shrinks are never to be trusted with information. They have the power to end your world.

the sooner you pussies accept that you need to change things in your shitty life instead of attribute to some subjective illness the better

dude they dont work for some people but they conversely do work for others. who gives half a fuck what other people that you dont know or respect think? if it works for you then use that shit.
>and pick up a chick there that is experiencing a comparable state of enlightenment.

You diet can attribute to your mood, try eating more greens and cut down on the sugar, also exercise helps massively

Yeah man I feel you, fuck it dude if they work for you more power to you.

Despite how I feel I try my best not to slack in my work, Im a freelance artist (inb4 generic job jokes) and I try to keep busy but damn is it hard some times.

objective ? no you may want to learn what that means but basicallly if you can't find reasons to why you're sad all the time or if you just don't feel anything really ever thats a good indicator, if you're considering suicide especially ....