Entropy thread

Entropy thread

How do you deal with the fact that everything will not exist anymore at some point?

Other urls found in this thread:

journals.aps.org/prd/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevD.13.198
youtube.com/watch?v=p4Gotl9vRGs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_an_expanding_universe
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Easy. I'll have stopped existing long before the heat death of the universe, so who gives a shit?

Dig it while it lasts. That's the point.

Quite well, I'd say.

dude, i don't even care about tomorrow's deadlines, why should i give a fuck about that

We came from nothing, back to nothing we go, as long as Piers Morgan goes before me I'm happy

who cares. I'd be dead by then. Not my problem.

i think there is a separation that needs to be made between the inevitable end of all things, which on a universal scale plays out on a lot longer timeline than the demise of your planet, the demise of your kind, the demise of your species, the demise of your subgroup, the demise of your kin, and the demise of you. There is a natural morality tied to the present. Find it, live it.

Brilliant. He is a massive spanner isn't he?

im cool with it

I tend to spend my free time cooking. I also enjoy making pickles. Creating consumable things helps me enjoy their quality rather than focusing on their impermanence.

>pickling
>not focused on impermanence
what did he mean by this?

Stop lying, every single one of you is going love, invest all your resources in, worry about, pursue stupid deteriorating shit every moment for the rest of your earth time...what a waste

Because I exist now. Everything I love exists now. The past, present, and future are only separated by my experience, and are in fact all true at all times. The idea here is similar to this: When are you not thinking? To which the only correct answer is "When you are not thinking".
So in this: When will the universe come to an end?
>When it comes to an end.
When will I die?
>When I will die.

They are things that exist, much like you. But what life allows you to forget is your ever present being. "Non-conceptualization" is everyone's interpretation for nonexistence.

How long does it take you to eat a pickle twat? I meant, you spend weeks creating something that is gone in a few seconds.

Rustin Cohle detected.

in trillions of years at this point, humans will be extinct or advanced enough to reverse entropy

He meant that a pickle not eaten is preserved.

What exists cannot cease to exist. Energy cannot disappear.

You are all retards.

But that's not the point, is it? I'm not ridin around with Lancelot hunting down provisions for the arduous journey ahead. Pickles are now used to complement flavors, as a relish, not to preserve vegetables.

OP means that. But churches and justin bieber won't be here in trillions of years or even the earth. The universe will be a big soup of photons.

I'd say relish is to compliment flavors whereas a pickle is good on a burger, in a bloody mary, or that's about it. They're similar, but being able to puree helps.
Make spicy garlic pickles. My moms friend used to make us a big jar of her pickles and she would fill them with garlic and red peppers (not bell, but I don't think chile, I don't remember but it had a bite). So fucking delicious.

When we look into our own mind at any moment, we perceive neither color nor form to verify that it exists. Yet we still cannot say it does not exist, for many differing thoughts continually occur. The mind cannot be considered either to exist or not to exist. Life is indeed an elusive reality that transcends both the words and concepts of existence and nonexistence. It is neither existence nor nonexistence, yet exhibits the qualities of both. It is the mystic entity of the Middle Way that is the ultimate reality. Myō is the name given to the mystic nature of life, and hō, to its manifestations

+1

And it will start over. We can never know how many times universe has "rebooted" and popped out back as an universe. We are all material of the stars and supernovas.

How do you know it will start over? You don't and the big crunch theory isn't commonly believed. That's just like believing in heaven, human nature to think something awaits after the end. It's hard to comprehend in a quintillion years nothing will happen anymore.

It's + and 0. You dig a hole: the negative depository of matter, the 0. The pile of dirt is the +. The matter is still there but there is equal amount on negative and positive matter.

Something will always happen. Be the theories true or not, there will always be constant change when matter seeks new forms.

I can't wait for that moment to come.

it would be shite if everything lasted forever. what a bore it would be. and how awesome is it that all of this is unique

Yeah things will happen, photons will be zipping around the universe. But I mean you can believe what you want, it won't affect you anyway. Just what I believe in is based from science.

Actually, the universe will slowly become a soup of black holes. Imagine what a universe would be like if the only remaining objects contained in its space were black holes.

So do I believe in science but never forget that it can't explain everything. Science improves by theories which are proved in time.

I'm insignificant right now so I think I going to do something that'll go down in history. I don't know what as of yet, but I'll make it man. I'll make it big.

Actually, Mr Science. Photons will not actually be "zipping" through the universe. Photons only appear as doing anything because we observe them. Existence for a photon is instantaneous since they travel at the speed limit of our universe. With nobody to observe them, there will simply be photons rapidly forming and impacting whatever they may impact in an infinite and instantaneous speed. Think more of this

Actually, black holes emit radiation and evaporate over time, supermassive black holes will evaporate in around 2x10^99 years which is basically many googols of years. And when they evaporate, they will emit photons, electrons and positrons. So unless what says happens and the universe undergoes a big crunch and rebirth (which current theories say will not happen)

the universe will undergo a heat death with nothing happening other than this soup of photons and electrons encountering each other very rarely forever

Black holes will press the matter together into an enormous, dense mass. Maybe when those black holes cease, the mass will erupt and a new big bang is made.

how will photons 'rapidly form' from nothing? call me mr. science sarcastically if you want but you have no idea of basic physics if you believe that

Yes, but if that is the time frame for one super massive black hole, then, as far as anyone may be concerned, if and when matter becomes scare, black holes will devour other black holes. Which I can only assume would increase their existence. Also, how can a black hole evaporate but still then emit particles? That would have to imply it existence at some indefinite size (Planck length).

Idk, I'm not the guy who said the universe will become only photons. I was arguing against that. I just said I believe it would be all black holes.

that implies that black holes will encounter each other which will be extremely rare considering the massive size of the expanding universe, as the universe expands, anything outside of the black holes local supergroup of galaxies will move past the cosmic event horizon meaning the black hole can never have an impact on anything outside of its event horizon and anything outside the event horizon cannot impact the black hole. black hole decay is simply a fact of nature, it happens over very long time scales. i have no idea what you mean.

why does the universe exist at all? what's the point

source journals.aps.org/prd/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevD.13.198

just watch BBC's "Time" with Brian Cox, he explains nicely what will happen to universe eventually

We know for certain ours will merge with Andromeda. And if that is going to happen, within the fathomablely infinite universe, it's safe to say collisions of more than one black hole, over the course of time, can occur.

What I mean is you said once the black hole decays, it will continue to emit particles. I didn't understand how an object could fully evaporate yet still emit particles. Unless it exists still in some immeasurable amount of space, ie the Planck Length.

and also another point on this to anyone still here and interested, is that in around 150 billion years due to the expansion of the universe any galaxies outside of our own local group will be so time dilated that they will essentially 'pause' in time from our perspective, nothing will appear to change in the galaxy because any 'events' of light travelling to us will be so redshifted that even gamma rays will have wavelengths of the entire observable universe. like a black hole, we will never see them actually cross the event horizon though.

Yes, ours will merge with andromeda. And form a bigger supermassive black hole. It may merge with the other 30 black holes in our local group. But my point is - eventually this HUGE black hole will evaporate over an innumerable amount of years. The point you don't get is the cosmic horizon, this super massive black hole formed from our local group will be inaccessible from outside the cosmic horizon, it will never encounter another black hole or even the light of anything outside of the cosmic horizon.

No, I mean the black hole will decay emitting photons until it disappears sorry if unclear

And moving on from the last point is where you get to the universe being a sea of photons, electrons, positrons emitted from the black holes which have now disappeared. Occasionally some of these will interact. With no large scale structures other than subatomic particles, quantum mechanics could possibly become the 'rules' of the universe rather than current large scale physics that impacts us.

To explain the cosmic horizon point to you in a metaphor, our supersupermasive black hole will exist in a bubble of universe unobservant from outside it's bubble and unimpacted by any events that occur outside of it.

That really only says that a black hole with their indicated gravitational size as M

photons emit from the event horizo, they can't escape past that, the only thing that black hole emits is radiation

Oh boy. The cosmic horizon is simple how far we may observe the universe within the laws of physics. The properties of light only allow us to see so far in time (space). That limit is the cosmic horizon, and by no means assures the 'end' limit of the universe. Only our understanding of it.

We live in a closed system, with a limited number of possible quantum states. Therefore, given enough time, the universe will start to repeat those states. So, after large enough time scales(Graham's number years+), we have a decent chance of a quantum fluctuation "start" the universe once again, when the quantum state we know as the big bang repeat.

you're thinking of nihilism

scream into the night fairly regularly

He is referring to our cosmic horizon, not a black holes event horizon. Or you're right and he mixed the two up.

Gamma rays are also photons.

Yeah dude, that's just the abstract of the paper. You can't access the rest without having access from an institution. Don't you realise that you're just making up physics in your head? The black hole will decay eventually. That's my point and that is it, however long.

Do you know a photon is radiation?

Yes with the laws of physics. Black holes don't have technology to break the laws of physics and observe anything further. I never said it's the 'end limit' of the universe just the limit we can OBSERVE. Anything outside of it has no impact on what is inside it. So black holes outside the event horizon of a black hole will never collide, the light will never even reach them.

Yes I meant the cosmic horizon from the position of the 'supersupermassive black hole' produced from all our local group's black holes coalescing.

And yeah, my entire point initially was that you said the universe would be left as only photons would in reality it's much more likely to be black holes. Especially considering the nature of photons outside of observation.

I don't give a shit. That's how I deal with it.

Everything is in a temporary state and you spend eternity dead, but on,y alive a short while. Try to fucking enjoy it.

'Especially considering the nature of photons outside of observation.'
wtf does that even mean dude? can you back up with some sources or real science other than what you 'think' works? black holes evaporate. so my point is that the END point of the universe will be photons. yes at some point black holes will be all that exists, but that isn't the END

>not exist

well someone only kind of understands entropy, you're mostly right but everything will still exists, just in a different state

imagine if i had a beautiful painting and a bucket of hot water

the bucket can be like a mode of entropy while the painting is the universe (sans the canvas hypothitically this is JUST the paint no other medium)

if i roll up the painting and put it in the water it will slowly dissolve, eventtually all the paint will mix together, and all the vivid landscapes will conform to a nice, even, bland single color

THAT is entropy, its not that the universe will cease to exist, but that it will be so uniform that it may as well not exist because it wont be anything...it will just "be" (if that makes any sense)

I plan to be dead within 10 years so the death of our universe doesn't mean a great deal to me.

That being said i'm a proponent of the infinite universes theory which proposes that ours is only one of an infinite number of universes that are being created and 'dying' continually in an infinite space where our 'laws' of physics simply don't apply.

come on, when ppl talk about photons, they 99,9% mean visible light, not gamma radiation

end point will be neutrinos

It's clear from me from this conversation you understand nothing about physics and will only believe what you want to believe with your made up head physics. 'Normal' people don't talk about entropy and heat death in 'normal' terms. A photon is radiation, not my fault you're retarded.

They've already got models of calculating devices that can take advantage of remaining entropy. They just operate more and more slowly, but never stop.

By definition black holes break down the laws of physics. That's why no function, algorithm, or logic has been able to predict beyond the event horizon because it requires a knowledge beyond our light based existence.
Also, light never 'stops' until it has impacted or been absorbed. You understand the concept of observing light, but you don't understand the concept of light. Light has no cosmic horizon. Only something that can observe light has a cosmic horizon. The event horizon of a black hole could very well be just a portable cosmic horizon due to the nature of light, hence the similar name. But a black hole in the center of our cosmic horizon can and certainly will devour light particles from beyond our cosmic horizon.

I'm not talking about the event horizon of the black hole you smelly uneducated negro. Keep making up the rules of physics in your head you degenerate dumb negro. Write a theory on what you believe and come back to me if you want me to listen to your spout of shit that disagrees with current theory.

'event horizon of a black hole could very well be just a portable cosmic horizon due to the nature of light, hence the similar name'

wut?

ok kid, now go back to your 11th class and keep thinking you're superior

>implying Sup Forums consists of nuclear physicists and astrophysicists

No actually, I've debated with and provided sources of current theory that some dumb nigger and Sup Forums's Sup Forums board throws out because he thinks he is more intelligent

When you die your consciousness ends up in quantum superposition, splitting into two outcomes. Both outcomes happen, but you don´t witness the one where you actually die, only the one where you survive. Your consciousness skips to a different timeline, where you are still alive.

Remember that one time you had a really close call? Or that one time you, for a splitsecond, thought someone is gonna push you on the railroad line? This happenend, and you died there, you just never witnessed it.

Also: youtube.com/watch?v=p4Gotl9vRGs

I don't. It haunts me every second of every day.

>thinking you need to be a physicist to understand that a photon is radiation which can be gamma radiation
>literally taught when 13 in non degenerate countries

by doing lots of drugs, fucking teenage prostitutes, fighting, and generally being a huge piece of shit

How do you deal with the fact your brain wants to waste your time with this and not something productive for the benefit of your short existence?

Yeah, watch the modern Cosmos, watch a series of lectures given by Tyson, research any quantum physics and sciences. There is an observable model of our universe and an observable model. Meaning their are laws according to how we observe the world, and law according to a world unobserved. Photons aren't even in a single location when naturally occurring, and their wavelengths must be collapsed through observation to allow a single particle to exist. Otherwise the photon is purely in a state of existence and doesn't formally exist as a particle. Since can observe, we are effected by time. Since we are effected by time, we can observe timeless objects such as anything that moves or functions at or near the speed of light. Photons don't 'exist' in travel. They only do to an observer. Photons only exist at the moment and point they form, and the moment and point they impact.

This guy is more correct than probably either of us. But my entire point is that it will not end in photons.

So at some point I will be 150 years old with a life expectancy of 5 minutes, and I'm gonna keep avoiding that final stroke or collapse?

How much of me needs to remain to count as observing an outcome? Can I be a drooling idiot with seven strokes yet still a flicker of awareness less than a dog?

>Cosmos as a source
>'observable model of our universe and an observable model'
what the fuck are you on? you make sense you disgusting cunt. give me a scientific source not a popular culture documentary

'photons' is just one of the things it will end in you cunt. electrons, neutrinos and positrons will exist. There is a reason it is called the 'Photon age'

You said black holes don't have the tech to break down the laws of physics. I said they are the point where the laws of physics break.

>you make sense you disgusting cunt.

Weird way to say, but thanks.

YES LAWS OF PHYSICS BREAKS WITHIN THE EVENT HORIZON OF THEM YOU FUCKING RETARD. THAT DOESN'T MEAN THE EVENT HORIZON BREAKS LAWS OF PHYSICS OUTSIDE OF IT.

JUST BECAUSE IT HAS AN EVENT HORIZON DOESN'T MEAN THAT IT CAN OBSERVE EVENTS OUTSIDE OF THE COSMIC HORIZON. JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE A SIMILAR NAME AND YOU'RE CONFUSED ISN'T MY FAULT.

you can always end up skipping to a timeline where a magic miracle pill cures all illness.

which theory was that? hard to understand with all that debating

Yeah, it sounds like you had physics a long time ago in school and liked it and remembered some. Then Years kept passing and you neglected to realize quantum physics had become more prominent to modern science than physics, and physics then became more a tool for an engineer than a scientist.

kek'd

Lol. It's like you only know how take what a source gives you at face value and have no sense of conceptualization and I almost pity you except for the fact that you're being such a block head that you aren't even considering what I'm saying. So I keep pointing out what I'm saying, and you keep saying "yeah, that's right, BUT BUT BUT" and then detracting with your own bullshit theories about what I'm saying because you don't understand it.

You want a pro tip? I'm more in the right here pal. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Yes but you wouldn't jump timelines like Stewie does. You'd just live in one that slowly developed that stuff and finally you'd be able to take advantage of it.

i don't really care about debating anymore

but if genuinely have open minds and aren't trolling me which is very possible, then read this and the references provided in it if you want

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_an_expanding_universe

goodbye

>bashes me for using Cosmos as a source
>uses Wikipedia as his reliable source

I'm going to change the speed of light to the top speed of a Ferrari in that article.

>wikipedia

go away kike shill

Well you also could jump to a timeline where you never had a stroke to begin with.

There. Now stars form in (1-100 thousand years) instead of million years.

Nice source fag.

HOLY SHIT LOL. I READ YOUR ARTICLE AND LOOK! LMFAO!

>As existing stars run out of fuel and cease to shine, the universe will slowly and inexorably grow darker, one star at a time.[4][5] According to theories that predict proton decay, the stellar remnants left behind will disappear, leaving behind only black holes, which themselves eventually disappear as they emit Hawking radiation.[6] Ultimately, if the universe reaches a state in which the temperature approaches a uniform value, no further work will be possible, resulting in a final heat death of the universe.[7]

Fucking dead in the water.

If he hadn't bailed before, he did there. Ouch.

All of existence is hopping timelines. On a metaphysical level, it's actually very likely that we are Spacial beings (ie. creatures that aren't rooted) who travel across timelines in an attempt to live as long as possible. And all of your awareness and thoughts and theories and friends and family and yourself, are just the timeless you can "see". It's likely that all of physicality is but dense layers of timelines and you are a light particle enjoying a ride through density.