/prod/ Music Production General

Dust your monitors edition
------ NO SOUNDCLOUDS ALLOWED ------
>LEARNING RESOURCES
>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

Other urls found in this thread:

soundonsound.com/techniques/pure-data-introduction
clyp.it/b3i0o3tf
clyp.it/5lx3cano
clyp.it/ogmj35k5
clyp.it/12anwojq
clyp.it/xjo4is42
clyp.it/vxjiew3o
clyp.it/gwrqp1np
acreil.bandcamp.com/
clyp.it/tcjjbhst
clyp.it/yxho35tu
clyp.it/3ffigde4
youtube.com/watch?v=AqdxBI-3zCU
clyp.it/lxjxddgj
twitter.com/AnonBabble

second for early roland had the best aesthetics

how do I into Pure Data?

soundonsound.com/techniques/pure-data-introduction

it's not that hard man, even though MaxMSP has more potential, imho

the software?
learn code and then read the manual

from pure code?
learn about frequiencies

Why does making music make me hate music even more?

>I have to put effort to make music
>now I don't like it

sounds about right

nice one my brah.

Can I get some comments on this master?

Gonna pull the vocals down a fair bit so they are just noticeable I think, apart from that any advice?

clyp.it/b3i0o3tf

anyone got some retro drum machine samples?

Cause you suck.

crit my mix?
>idm experimental etc

frick you!! reeeee

>retro
disgusting

they're all over the place man...

/r/drumkits /r/wearethemusicmakers just search "samplepack" or google whatever

I can barely hear the vocals as is lol, idg why you would want to hide something that's going to separate you from all the instrumentals out there, I think you should bring them up. Don't be the soft moon

sometimes you just burn out... switch genres listen to new music play a different instrument take a break. don't do it if it kills you man

SCI Drumtraks best vintage rom drum machine
I can't upload my samples of it, because they are in a nonstandard format though.

is MaxMSP really $300 better than Pure Data?
money isn't really an issue and I've definitely spent money on dumber things but I really don't want to dish out $300 for just a prettier interface

the lead's taking a back seat to the rest of the song. It doesn't have the presence it needs to be a lead. Your drums also sound sorta detached from the mix.

maxMSP is the first program.

story goes that the guy who made it got zuckerburg'd and they took his program and sold it without him.

pure data is made by the same guy who originally made maxMSP

>detached from the mix
idr why I decided reverb was unnecessary for the drums but I will fix it thanks :^)

clyp.it/5lx3cano

not sure where I'm going with this but it sounds nice

Replying to We are mostly instrumental so we don't particularly want them up front. You don't think these are too loud though?

Would it really be such a detracting quality if they were lower?

Thanks for the advice

Just made my first ambient track and I can't tell if it does the job well.
I'm trying to make it sound as if you're in a lousy apartment near the streets of Hong Kong a few years from now, where the rain is pouring and hitting your window, and you can hear the people and street vendors nearby.

clyp.it/ogmj35k5

>they took his program and sold it without him.
that makes me sad, Miller seems like such a nice guy. he's a university professor though, so I don't think he's poor

I think it makes more sense to mix them so they're not upfront rather than trying to hide them with low volume if you want to maintain an instrumental aesthetic.

I really, really like this. Great job.
the only thing I'd change is I'd make the phase of the detune longer. It's too fast as it is.

Can I get an opinion on the last minute, minute and a half of this?

clyp.it/12anwojq

>clyp.it/5lx3cano
Sounds fine, not sure if you wan't the crackling kind of noise in the background?

I do but not at that volume. For some reason the levels are all fucked on everything

Came here for advice on making my mix not so shitty and muddy earlier since im new to mixing. After tinkering with it some more i hope I've made progress (in learning what the hell im doing).

Before /prod/: clyp.it/xjo4is42
After /prod/: clyp.it/vxjiew3o

Has the mix improved? What other steps can i take to improve the mix even more? Thanks for any actual criticism.

Quick clean guitar + drum track lads. Can it potentially get me laid if performed live?

clyp.it/gwrqp1np

Here's a question! Why do you guys use clyp.it instead of SoundCloud?

prevents self promotion, /prod/ is for feedback rather than "ayy lisen to my dope $yck ass beets"

>I'm new xD

Because every wannabe will drop their SoundCloud to promote and bounce you daft faggot

Well that is good to know. Didn't know that was an issue. I'm learning how to music!

Welcome aboard my guy, here's to you.
let's learn you a thing.

Definitely an improvement. One note: I think the main solo guitar is too dull sounding. Could use some more high end bite to make it sound more exciting and less muffled.

the only time it is ok if somebody asks if you have one

what do you need?

we would be spammed by soundcloud faggots fishing for plays and likes otherwise.

Is this from that one dump of like 10000000 drum machines that guy made or are you some psycho hoarder lol

Otr that was way too much shit and far too similar sounds to be useful. I kept like 2 folders

I'm fairly sure people reply to themselves to do this because half the time I see people ask their clip was okay at best

do you mean change the actual playing of the solo or just change the sound/tone? or both? i just make stuff up the melody on the spot usually and see what sticks.

This is fucking great dude. Awesome job.

>story goes that the guy who made it got zuckerburg'd and they took his program and sold it without him.

I don't think that's really true. David Zicarelli did commercialize it but it's not like Miller got screwed over or anything. I think he just wasn't interested in developing commercial software. He was working at IRCAM when he first developed it. So it was funded by the French government.

Anyway this is the best thing I've heard made in Pure Data

acreil.bandcamp.com/

I can't say what Max offers but PD seems to sound pretty good by itself, provided you know what you're doing

just had it on some hardrive, never gave it much thought.

>Is this from that one dump of like 10000000 drum machines that guy made

might be, but I've probably had it since 2010 when I did hoard a ton of shit I didnt need.

give em the alesis sr-16 and hr-16

The shitty thing is that a lot of downloaded drum machine samples are shit quality. Niggas don't know how to record at a decent sample rate, normalize and trim.

this is likely true more than often

gross

>Busyworks Beats

Fucking trash and a conman at that.

love it, great texture work.
Did something similar with dark melodic ambient combined with triphop, DnB and garage, made an whole EP.

You should do the same.

There's great satisfaction in making an EP, making cover art, burning it to a CD and have it in your hand.

PD is actually pretty well documented. But you need some ideas and math background to do anything decent.

>makes decay and sample short as possible

Sr16 and Roland d50 are the only ones I kept, though I'm fairly sure the Roland was from somewhere else.

Any other lesser talked about drum machines samples that are worth having?

It's 44.1 and sounds like they are trimmed correctly.

How essential are monitors? I'm using a pair of 280 pros for now

>How essential are monitors?
pretty unless you dont want your hearing to be shit in 10 years.

The room is more important than the speakers when mixing, but monitors are a must have for production.

very

headphones are a good temporary solution but don't let le budget producer memers convince you that that's all you need.

headphones don't let you accurately assess the stereofield and dial in reverb, just keep that in mind and double check on some speakers

I'm pretty new to music production and I'm still trying to figure it all out. I'd appreciate some advice on this song I've been working on for the past few days. It's still a work in progress and I'm not sure if it's any good or not.

clyp.it/tcjjbhst

way too quiet, I can't hear anything

it's interesting sonically, but musically it's pretty boring.

Are KRK Rokit 5 G3s worth a shit or do I need something better?

Also I'm making ambient music and I have a reel to reel (rt 707). I love tape warble but I'm not sure the best way to record to tape. How much of a sonic difference would there be recording an eqing my track in my daw an bouncing that down to a single track on my tape machine vs actually multi track recording onto the separate channels of the tape?

Convince me not to pay money to learn how to make music

I paid for a piano teacher and that improved my piano more than self study, so why not?

Yeah, I'm a pretty shit musician but I have a history in sound design for film. Mainly I just have no idea where to take it musically, it definitely meanders on a bit too much.

never heard them, but most people will tell you no

don't stress about it if you can only afford rokits, you're better off waiting.

yamaha hs series and jbl ls whatevers are fine (so i hear about jbl, i've not hear them)

if you don't learn well alone then go for it..?
I think instruction lends itself more to correcting physical technique than actually learning to write, you're only able to be given the knowledge of music theory, not how to use it.

Is there anything that I fundamentally cannot do in one DAW compared to another? Please don't daw war bore me, I just need to know that any decent DAW I choose will be sufficient for all purposes going forward

>Convince me not to pay money to learn how to make music
not really worth it for the knowledge, it's only worth is network, (but you can get that by hanging out at music venues, clubs and every other place where music, media and art is performed.)
and the free studio time (depends on the school, some have shit bare minimum studios, some have world class studios)

If you're a more digital oriented musiscian/producer it's probably not worth it, if you're leaning more towards acoustic/traditional that requires good studios, it can be worth it considering how expensive studio time can be.

I meant the sound. Not enough high end

people make good music in any daw just pick one you like

anyway you can dump everything?

If there are macros outside of ableton i'll admit it's not the superior daw

Mix not 100%, some of the singing sucks I know
Bass is also missing because the amp would be way too loud at night

clyp.it/yxho35tu

Will sux dix 4 3min of ur ears
clyp.it/3ffigde4

coffee makes the trick for me

I love Amazing Strangers

what's macros, precious

mac·ro
ˈmakrō/
noun
noun: macro; plural noun: macros; noun: macro instruction; plural noun: macro instructions; plural noun: macros instruction

Computing
a single instruction that expands automatically into a set of instructions to perform a particular task.
-

yeah its like Sup Forums: The Square

it even has other-wordly gay niggers

have some more morgan

in the context of ableton vs other daws

nadia is best girl

I think the left and right acoustic guitars are a little too dynamic. They keep directing my attention back and forth and distracting me from the vocal.

We'll that's what I want to know actually

Essentially you can just map whatever parameter from vsts and effects to change together with one knob- extremely useful. Max 4 live expands modulation possibilities even further and lends itself to experimental music on a whole other level.

I can't imagine not having macros- I know you can get anything done in most daws with time but if other daws are lacking what I just described I can't see why anyone would choose another daw if they make experimental electronic music.

>nadia

[spoiler]best place to find a clean cracked copy of ableton? no bitcoin miners?[/spoiler]

> no bitcoin miners
at the end of the day you gotta support somebody, its your decision between the devs or the russians

youtube.com/watch?v=AqdxBI-3zCU

What's the best room treatment I can do for the least amount of money?

I have to update some stuff in this but here you go

I have like 3 of those actual drum machines. should i sample them into my DAW for more flexibility?

I have a boss dr-55 and getting samples for it would be great. very basic but awesome analog sounds. like an 808

I recently acquired a few multitrack cassette decks and a mixdown deck along with a reel to reel. its all ive used. id suggest you track on tape. mixdown to stereo either on tape then dump or direct to the DAW depending on how analog you want the path to be. just make sure you clean your tape heads and pinch rollers or youl be scared away from tape by all the degradation they produce when poorly maintained.

Please /prod/, help me with this

What's a cheap USB sound adapter that's good enough to support Ableton fully?

My current internal one is kinda shitty

Thanks

scarlett 2i2, presonus audiobox

Bitwig vs Abelton
Go

>bitwig
who

clyp.it/lxjxddgj

Posting this again, I'd appreciate more opinions on it. Thanks.