The Witch

I thought this movie was very good and scary. What did you think?

I think DELICIOUSLY

This movie has to be watched in a dark room. Really good atmosphere, though.

The Vee-Vitch was pretty good, however I think the movie would have maintained its tone better in its conclusion had the film ended on the shot of Thomasin and Black Phillip entering the woods together rather than the somewhat overbearing shot of Thomasin levitating into the air.

I watched for the first time pretty stoned and it was one of the most atmospheric and engrossing movies I've seen in a long time.

Then I watched again sober and it was still just as compelling.

Fantastic film, horror of the year easily.

I agree, but mainstream audiences would have despised it on a level not seen since Blair Witch's ending. Not like that matters, but you gotta think from the studio's perspective.

it's ok. not a horror film at all though.

the girl is fucking hot though, and DAT ASS

>Scary

Maybe if you're five years old.

Uh I'm sorry to burst your high brow bubble but that's a fucking terrible ending

Good point. I never thought about it that way before.

Would have been loads better as a tv series. It had tons of atmosphere good acting even tho the script was weak.

Yeah clearly considering you thought an ending where literally nothing happens would be better

Why would you type out "Uh?"

well OP you see. these are the opinions sausages give.

I really liked this movie, the ending made me fucking happy and I don't even know why.
I'm afraid of satan and goats now because it made me work psychologically

uh...

why wouldn't you? are you a cuck?

It was pure shit. Fuck you Sup Forums for recommending this garbage.

Worst movie I've seen this year.

Can always spot the plebs so easily in these threads

Good but not scary

She bashes her mother's brains in, speaks to Black Phillip, and the shot would be a clear statement on whether or not she accepted Black Phillip's offer without overdoing it. I don't really see how that's "nothing happening." It would only cut like two minutes out of the film and I just think it's a more imposing shot to close the movie on. I'm not saying the way the movie ended was horrible,I just think it could have been more subtle. Calm down, my dude.

It was alright, but it wasn't very scary at all really.

Pacing was pretty fucked by the jarring scene of the witch in the opening five minutes, then hardly anything else happens until nearly the end of the movie.

The ending itself was silly.

Okay, not great. Majorly overhyped by Sup Forums as horror kino, but it's barely horror

I don't know why but I kept wondering the whole time why a rustic colonial era hut on the frontier had such an abundance of wooden boards, siding and perfectly cut pieces of wood to make their home and shed out of.

William was supposed to be a shitty farmer, hunter and didn't seem to be very capable at providing for his family but man he could really cut a 2x4 using only an axe.

I wouldn't call it scary but it was very movie

what would you recommend watching? I've only recently started getting into the genre, i enjoyed this film, it follows and i thought the babadook was decent. I don't really know where to go from here. scream? texas chainsaw massacre?

Why would you type out anything at all? /thread

Good but not scary.

Babadook a shit m8. If you wanna get into horror start with some of the classics (The Exorcist, The Omen, Rosemary's Baby, Amityville Horror, Dawn of the Dead) because these are the movies were the 'horror cliches' come from.

are you on the spectrum?

People were pissed at the Blair Witch's ending? I thought it made the movie worth it

not scary
babadook puts this movie to shame

i didn't like rosemary's baby. I couldn't tell if it was like some sort of fucked up parody or not and it wasn't even scary really. dawn of the dead was meh but i'll check out the others. why the hate for babadook? i liked the symbolism and shit.

>it wasn't scary
Has there ever been a horror movie that was actually scary?

so, what part scared you?

Saw it in theatres with a really good audience that was fucking silent throughout. Need to watch this movie in silence, in the dark and with a solid sound system. Atmosphere means so much for this movie.

After leaving the theatre I felt stressed and anxious in my gut for a good chunk of the night. Fantastic building of tension and depression. Best horror movie in at least a decade, calling it a horror because of how fucking uneasy it made me feel throughout.

Like some other addons said Thomasin floating into the air was a bit clunky, I think ending it on the shot of her walking up the hill as the other witches come into frame chanting would have been a bit better.

even that's a little much imo, just have her walking ass naked into the woods. that's really all you need.

>symbolism
Not sure what you mean. Like the whole monster being a metaphor for grief or whatever? That's not really "symbolism." Anyway I thought the Babadook was super heavy handed and also people have such a boner when something seems like a monster movie but is actually about muh deep psychology or whatever. I hate that shit. It's not clever, it's stupid. Plus I found all two characters in the movie intolerably annoying.

The hate for Babadook on here confuses me as much as the overwhelming love for the Babadook everywhere else. It definitely an above average horror movie, much better than the shit blumhouse churns out.

Symbolism was pretty glaring yeah but that doesn't really make it bad, the main reason I liked The Babadook was it had solid sound production and did proper suspense building in most of the early scary scenes. The kid is terribly fucking annoying for sure but it made me end up feeling for the mom a bit more. Whenever they revealed the Babadook with the stock raptor noise it was fucking garbage though, was a pretty big let down after all of the promising moments.

babadook and it follows were utter shit.

i mean, symbolism is a perfectly fine way to put it. the monster symbolized grief or raising a child as a single mother, depends how you look at it. but no need to argue about semantics. i don't think it tried super hard to push the symbolism down the audiences throat either. But I'm new to the genre and maybe am ignorant to cliches and stuff.

The part when the witch seduces the boy was pretty spoopy as a metaphor for the loss of inocence

why do people leave comments like this. what joy does it bring you, what satisfaction? at least some people here are trying to discuss thing and you've got this fucking melon going 'HURR DURR X IS SHIT.'
why? why were they shit dude? care to elaborate or no?

really liked the setting and the unnerving atmosphere slowly building up to the ending

however I was left with some dissatisfaction, possibly because William died so easily and to me he was the most interesting character

I felt a little down, to be honest. I think I would have honestly preferred a little more of a supernatural presence, not too much but just a little more, as the ending I feel kicked things up a bit too fast.

Otherwise, fantastic acting, gorgeous scenery, girl was really hot and looked astonishingly like a girl I used to work with.

It made me realize I need to see more movies set in 17th/18th century colonial America

watch black robe

not a horror by any means but some of the things that happen are brutal

Kevin?

Watched it alone at night and got immersed in the atmosphere. It was delicious.

it's the only way to tell you can't bring friends

you just watch The Shining and it'll ruin true horror for you since there hasn't been anything better yet

the boy speaking in tongues was the only part I felt uneasy watching, great performance and camera work

Watch all the classics, find out what you like, go from there, there is an astronomical amount of horror movies worth watching its just a matter of watching a lot. If you have netflix go through there and watch anything that catches your eye. They have a few gems on there, Creep and the Taking of Deborah Logan are both found footage that are done incredibly well.

VVitch is more about the lingering dread than the immediate fear response. It does what it does very well, and I thought about it a lot after watching it.

It wasn't particularly scary in the general sense of the word, but the atmosphere from the dialogue to the score was excellent. Plus Thomasin was a fucking qt

>That scene by the river with her little brother and sister

I wanted to see her tits so goddamn bad

As did we all user.

>Satan has had control of her the entire film she just never realised it
>Sees her brother look at her tits
>Starts coming on to him in an attempt to sully him in the eyes of god
>Strips off and grinds against him
>Satans hold breaks
>She realises what she's doing but she continues out of pure lust

If only

What did I think?

Her career hasn't really took off yet so we may see them soon enough, though it would have been preferable to see them in this movie.

>looking for caps of her cleavage shots
>can't find any
>find this instead

a few more random shots of the the witch would of been cool.

I would have been cool with a jump scare or two with the witch watching the family desu.

Honestly I agree. A slightly more supernatural presence wouldn't have made the ending seem so out there. I'd have liked a few weirder stuff thrown in, but reticence is also heavily important, so not too much.

The few scenes with the witch that it had were super creepy. The naked throbbing old body covered with blood, the scene in the barn, and even the way she exits her cabin in her young form with the camera zooming in is unsettling.

I don't get why people love this movie

Everyone in my family thought Thomasin was the witch right from the fucking beginning

And its not much of a "horror" movie... more a "who da witch?" mystery

>Fantastic film, horror of the year easily.

At any point were you actually scared?

We were just playing "who da witch" the entire time to keep the movie interesting

I'm not sure it's the best movie to watch with people, it's more of a personal experience

>"who da witch?"
>"who da witch"

We get it, you're a family of Mensa members

there is a part with i think the son opening a window would of loved to even just get a blury far away shot for a split second.

I thought it was good, the ending was super fucking cheesy and ruined it though

Censor thyself and come hither.

I didn't find it scary.

Thomasin did nothing wrong.

>Thomasin did nothing wrong.
t.homasin

I watched it during the day, I was sitting right next to a window where I could see sun shining on trees and hear birds singing outside. I also had pizza to eat from the local joint.

Might be the reason why I didn't think much of atmosphere.

>tfw no thomasin witch coven orgy scene