Good jazz or meme trash?

Good jazz or meme trash?

average jazz that is a meme

why don't you listen to it and make your own opinion? :)

It's a comfy jazz album. Nothing too technical, nothing too generic. It's average

whats the most technical jazz album?

entry level piano bar jazz

neither.

it's the best average jazz i've ever heard

pic related

Its a pleasurable listen but its not really anything groundbreaking or technically impressive. It's still good but because it's not Great and its fairly entry level people here tend to just outright dismiss it completely, which i don't think is realy fair.

he self taught himself piano at 22 and made this album at 28

A mostly average trio release, demonstrating competency, but little creativity or nuance

"Scenery" is the debut album, and one of the few recordings made by Japanese pianist Ryo Fukui. It's a simple piano trio setup with Fukui accompanied by bassist Satoshi Denpo and drummer Yoshinori Fukui.

It's obvious from the first track, "It Could Happen to You," that Fukui draws a lot of influence from Bill Evans. His style of left hand comping and bouncy swing feel seem directly influenced by Evans, however Fukui often lacks the chromatic, lyrical melodic drive and adroit phrasing that makes Evans' playing such a joy to listen to. Instead, Fukui tends toward short, diatonic phrases, that seldom move outside the natural phrasing of the tune. Denpo and Yoshinori Fukui swing along fairly well, though they also do little to encourage any interesting obfuscation of the form, giving the tune the feeling of a jam session. "I Want to Talk About You" is fairly similar but with a more relaxed, ballad approach.

The real high point of the album is Fukui's original "Early Summer" which finally deviates from the simple jam session approach and relaxed mood of the rest of the tracks. A funky modal vamp defines the melody and the beginning of Fukui's solo, though it gets quite a bit more interesting when the trio shifts into a double-time swing. Here Fukui finally shows some melodic creativity with long, chromatic phrases and some effective crossrhythms. He also takes advantage of the harmonic simplicity of the tune and seems to be channeling McCoy Tyner more than Evans, with some nice quartal playing that gets fairly harmonically adventurous at times.

The 'B' Side finds Fukui taking a bluesier approach, first on "Willow Weep for Me," then on another jam-session-y version of "Autumn Leaves." Fukui blueses up the tunes, but still often lacks any sense of nuance in phrasing or overall shape of his solos. There is one thing that Fukui does very well, which is the repeating hemiola, though he uses this technique so often that it becomes predictable and tiresome. "Scenery" closes the album with another original composition. It's a simple progression that fits Fukui's style well, though the trio seems to struggle somewhat with the slow tempo and the rhythm section puts very little variation or imagination into their accompaniment of Fukui's solo.

Overall the album is very average, with Fukui demonstrating competency in jazz piano, but little in the way of personality or a developed style of his own. In many ways, Fukui sounds like a student, content to imitate Bill Evans or Red Garland, but without adding any new color to give the music character or fully understanding the more subtle aspects of these players' styles . The exception is "Early Summer" where Fukui proves he is at least capable of playing interesting music. It's a shame that the bulk of the album is dedicated to the less interesting and much more derivative approach.

if your music taste is influenced by youtube recommendations in any way, you have shit taste

what a shit opinion... good bait

>i can't look for music myself so i need an algorithm to tell me what to listen to

Holy shit you're a fucking pretentious faggot.

not an argument

also review the definition of pretentious

not very good jazz, really, id give it like a 4 or 5 maybe.

one of my favorites desu. Its basically the threshold for good jazz.

i cant fucking stand when non jazz fans or musicians criticize the fact that most serious jazz fans are informed enough about the music to be able to have detailed opinions like this that can be backed up with evidence. Hes not pretentious he just knows more then you. also without double checking im pretty sure this is jazzthreadguy copy and pasting his review. jazz musicians are almost always academics these days and are used to doing stuff like this. I had to write a 15 page paper about the progression of harmonic techniques used in the quintets of miles davis, citing my own transcriptions of the chord changes in those tunes. rock and pop fans just dont do that kind of shit, i dont know why. but basically, hes not being pretentious, hes just done his homework and is probably smarter then you.

>jazz fans can't simply enjoy music and have to autistically analyze every single note
>this is a good thing

okay

Ad-hominem again, user?

More like
>jazz fans can speak intelligently and profoundly about why they like or dislike music instead of just calling people who have a different opinion names
And yes, I would say that is a good thing

>have idiotic opinion
>someone points out why your opinion is idiotic in an organized and intelligent way
>call them autistic
every time

its not autistically analyzing it. its having the training to be able to listen to a song and know whats happening. jazz is an aural tradition so we are required to have much better ear training then pretty much any other genre, so we can just sort of do this stuff or have to on a regular basis. how do you think we know so any jazz standards? we hear them and our ears are good enough that we can usually know the tune relatively well after about an hour or so with our instrument. it doesnt keep us from enjoying the music at all, we can just do the basic analysis on the fly in a way most people who play other genres cant.