Wonder Showzen

What is the consensus on Sup Forums about Wonder Showzen? Could a show like this ever be made today?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HjZfdN6wGJk
vimeo.com/102676141
vice.com/read/a-chat-with-the-guy-behind-final-flesh
youtube.com/watch?v=D-NvyI-FlvE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

>Could a show like this ever be made today?
There already is. It's called "Don't Hug Me I'm Scared".

it would have been good if they removed all the gross-out humor.

also obviously it could be made today no one like your imaginary enemies in your tumblrinaction subreddit actualy exists in the real world.
no one who matters actaully cares about anything.

Tyfctr

Please remove yourself from discussion on the internet permanently.

I really want just a show based around bothering people in public with a blue puppet.

Idk I'm bored

I really liked it.
I don't know how it got made THEN? Forget about now. Especially the "Letters and Numbers episode

Lmao I just started an episode on my pc and I had no idea michio kaku recorded a commentary

It was the definition of "Hit or Miss".

Some episodes or individual segments were hysterical.

Others were completely fucking insufferable.

>no one like your imaginary enemies in your tumblrinaction subreddit actualy exists in the real world

Yeah bro, movie-makers and TV show-makers totally aren't cow-towing to tumblrite SJW's on a daily basis.
It's all in our heads.

I was re-watching the pilot for the first time since 2005 and I gotta say, the show is still somewhat shocking. I can't believe they got away with that shit. Just the fact that parents would let their kids come in and read those lines is so awesome. All the race related stuff would definitely not fly today.

youtube.com/watch?v=HjZfdN6wGJk

>that sketch where the street reporter kid dresses up as a little hitler
>the only person who finds it amusing is a WW2 veteran
>episode aired during holocaust remembrance day

Its one of my favorites

What by PFFR sucks?

The Heart She Holler doesn't blow me away

Yeah, it could air on adult swim. They give PFFR a free pass to make whatever they want content-wise.

S02E07 is a masterpiece

You're an idiot.

Clarence is GOAT. The little ginger kid they'd dress up as Hitler was great as well.

Xavier is probably the most annoying thing they've made.
delocated might be my favorite.

why, what's wrong, sir?

Vernon Chatman is redpilled as fuck

watch xavier renegade angel if you havnt

>TALKING SHIT ABOUT XAVIER

You are wrong

Xavier has the most dense writing of any TV show ever made

Almost every second is a setup for future jokes and also simultaneously a payoff joke

It would take so much analysis to fully extract what's going on in any episode

He's been a writer on south park for a long time, too

I actually sat through 'Patience'

What's some modern alternative comedy on the level of wonder showzen

A movie came out in the last couple of days that ends in an uncensored orgy of animated food for several minutes.

Has anyone else seen Final Flesh?

Welp found it

vimeo.com/102676141

>He's a sausage smoker, I can smell it on him!

this

i normally dont like the "its too smart for you" rebuttal, but to that guy, i have the feeling its true. Every second of xavier is some kind of setup, wordplay, pun, etc

World Peace is the closest you'll get on TV

I was just thinking in general, I've been meaning to find some new stuff lately

Pills are just a psychotropic band-aid on a biochemical crutch. I took a pill once, and I woke up with a booty hole the size of a wine bottle, fat end first. But did I wine? No, I turned to the bottle.

it could never have been made now. It wouldn't be anywhere near as funny, wouldn't have gotten past network execs, and David Cross burnt out nearly a decade ago.

But fuck was it funny back then.

kind of a shame how david cross never evolved past "haha isn't christianity and being anti-gay stupid?!?!?"

xavier is a lot of wankery, but the mexican gang episode is one of the best episodes of all television.

>YES made it
>Is he disabled?

Xavier is oneo f the funniest things I've ever watched.

People on Sup Forums bitch about quips, but that show has transcendent quips.

It's kinda different when the quips are crafted

I'm not who you replied to, but the reason I'm not big on Xavier is because I appreciate works on how ambitious they are, i.e. I judge a painter by the most beautiful painting he's made, or a sculpture's best statue, a composer's magnum opus. It's what appeals to me.

The people that like Xavier value almost the opposite, they judge things based on consistent quality.

I'll agree with you in that I haven't ever enjoyed a stand-up of his, but just on his performance on "Horse Apples" alone he is forgiven.

million dollar extreme world peace is basically a shorter and more alt right version of wonder showzen, and its pretty funny

Thank You For ConTRibuting?

"Thank you for correcting the record"

Shakashuri blowdown has to be my favorite. Some of the wordplay is downright fucking shakesperian

>>Xavier: You're about as deep as a bowl of soup, and your tongue is about as sharp as a soup spoon.
>> Self: Hey, say what you want about me, but lay off the soup.
>> Xavier: If you love soup so much, why don't you marry soup?
>> Self: 'Cause I'm already married -- to justice.
>> Xavier: Yeah, only a blind girl would marry you.

fuckin roasted

sam are you even trying anymore? I loved An Inconvenient Anime but how can you top

>War Never Solved Anything with Hall and Oates
>"What are you running from? "
>Horse Apples
>Middle America
>Cromdar
>Hot Dog Highway

Fuck I must have missed that. If he stopped talking in that weird cadence the whole show, he'd be a lot more understandable and I'm sure more people would remember it fondly.

I get what you mean but the weird cadence is kind of a part of his character to me.

Watch the very first episode, his performance is waaaay more subtle and not for the better imo. Makes his delivery have less character.

It wouldnt be on MTV. Adult Swim would pick it up. Everyone would hate on it for all the "le edges"

I don't think enough people talk about the bootleg episode.

The last part of the show runs two different shows side by side simultaneously.

The one where the second half of the show was the first in reverse.

Forget about the subject matter, the style, they did things on TV that you wouldn't be able to justify on broadcast today. When they were really bitter at the end and constantly shit panther fly over states giving them bad reviews, particularly with the test audience bit.

That's the type of shit I loved the most.

Actually you bring up a good point but the show was ahead of its time, it's not like it couldn't be made today. But it would be like asking what if seinfeld was made today.

YOU SNOWZ

YOU LOWZ

Shows like this are being made today.

What the fuck are you talking about?

You're annoying on a molecular level

you nap-a
you get slap-a

see with your mouth and not with your eyes

THIS IS YOUR SONG

>The last part of the show runs two different shows side by side simultaneously.

Which episode is this?

>You look so superficial, you probably judge things by their physical appearance.
>Oh, yeah? Your mom's so shallow, she probably thinks this quip is about her.

Xavier is incredibly ambitious. The narrative is so sprawling and close to falling apart and spinning off into nonsense at any second. But there's always a unifying thread, no matter how abstract, and you can follow what's going on. It's a daunting writing task. It's impeccably written. The visuals and audio suit the delivery of that narrative perfectly, even if it looks underproduced. Everything in Xavier works towards the themes it's preoccupied with, mainly how life destroys meaning by information noise overload.

That's essential to a delivery that keeps your sense of understanding off-kilter. It's crafted that way deliberately, it's essential for the comedic timing.

Xavier is the quintessential pleb filter

if someone dismisses it as garbage and cant see what it truly is, then I know the type of person I'm dealing with

IM READY

IF YOU'RE READY TO DIE

>You'd like me you be you, wouldn't me?

I think that is near perfect wordplay, it makes my head feel abit funny if I think about it too much

Fuck I mean

>you'd like me to be you, wouldn't me?

World Peace is garbage so far.

I can't remember the number.

There are bootleg imitations of wonder showzen out on the street that look like shit but do their own rip offs of every segment.

Chancy and the gang find out and there is war. It's settled by having the originals take up 60% of the screen and the knock off 's have the rest while both groups run their episodes side by side simultaneously. You seriously have to are it at least twice to see it all.

You slumber, a cucumber

The episode is Cooperation

Taste the Pain

Wonder Showzen is notable not because puppets fuck and make race jokes, it's notable because it didn't give a single shit about turning off its potential audience.

Sausage Party targets the DUDEWEED crowd Rogen and friends had built up but Showzen felt like it actively kept trying to get people to stop watching it with things like Patience and Horse Apples.

Here's a great interview with Vernon Chatman about Final Flesh

vice.com/read/a-chat-with-the-guy-behind-final-flesh

youtube.com/watch?v=D-NvyI-FlvE

Clutch the dark purple hairs of the galloping orangutang of normalicy and RIDE NIGGA RIDE