rateyourmusic.com/list/garuck/psychedelic_soul/
rateyourmusic.com/list/diction/digging_the_70s__funknsoul/
rateyourmusic.com/list/mtopper/the_evolution_of_funk__1967_1975/
rateyourmusic.com/list/Lord_Boom/great_psychedelic_soul_albums/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Holy FUCK that's boring

refreshing

Yep its great
Wish modern black music was like this instead of the trap shit.

i love this album

Best album by a black person ever
Its like the soundtrack to heaven man

you're the worst kind of white person.

I love Marvin, but his albums just aren't strong enough to compete with Stevie Wonder, Prince, even Michael.

God forbid we ask musical artists to have musical talent.

did you just assume his race? its micro-aggressions like that that is keeping trans-black lesbians like myself from making it in the music blogging industry

>Unironically being non-white

you're making it worse :(

If only the album ended on the medley. The songs after just sound weak in comparison. Standalone they're great however.

Nah, he's right. Your yearning for young black pussy has got you all scrambled and shit, man.

Nope, I like Marvin more than any of the modern trap stuff, I just think white people that "love black music" but only listen to Marvin Gaye and James Brown are a joke.

One of my favorite albums. He's not the greatest songwriter ever, but for someone who could've coasted on their amazing vocal talent, he's got great skills as a writer.

>You know, we've got to find a way to bring some lovin' here today...

The vocal run on that line gives me a happy feeling inside every time. He had an incredible voice.

>I like black music
>Listens to good black music instead of bad black music
>No no you have to swallow all the shit our race spews
Honestly it's typical nigger behavior so I can't say I'm suprises

Yeah but that's only assuming that's the case with him. Even then, spurn on that basis is childish. Furthermore, only liking those two artists is still loving black music.

I might have given you Stevie but Whats Going On is definitely better than Prince and Michaels best album

you don't have to like all of it, I just think white people don't realize how lame they sound when they praise Marvin Gaye in regards to how great black music is or used to be. If you're gonna take that route at least use someone like Stevie Wonder as your example.

im white btw.

it's really not even close. The first disc of Prince's "Sign of the Times" alone has Marvin beat. 1999 and Dirty Mind are also better. Off the Wall is better than What's Going On too.

>music made by blacks is black music
>music can't transcend its roots but must be reminded that it was made by simple men

poor music desu.
it cant catch a break and just be appreciated for what it is.

Off the Wall is great but there's no universe where it's better than What's Going On. Agree to disagree

Peshaw, that sentiment bleeds from every perspective. My Jamaican friend "loves white music." by this he means indie BS like My Morning Jacket, and Tame Impala. My dad (a Spigga) also "loves white music" despite his tastes only going so far as Waters/Gilmour-era Pink Floyd (He did love Wyatt's RB when I showed him it). My dad laughs at my "love of Spanish music" despite it mostly revolving around Ranchera. Stop hatin'

>but only listen to Marvin Gaye and James Brown are a joke.
This is a pretty bad attitude for you to have. Those are two of the very best acts ever so to roll your eyes at someone who likes them, for whatever reason, is pretty childish.
a) Everyone has to start somewhere. Maybe those people will get into Curtis Mayfield and Stevie Wonder next, and Otis or Sam Cooke after that.
b) Would you prefer they didn't listen to James Brown and Marvin?

You're not understanding me. All of that is fine by me, there would be a problem if you started bitching about how shitty Spanish music is these days when you only listen Ranchera. You understand now?

I'll explain the same thing I explained to the poster above you. Liking those artists is fine, it's just embarrassing when you only listen to one or two black artists, then bitch about how shitty modern black music is.

That's fine, but it's the sort of "wrong generation" youtube-comment-tier stuff you find about every genre of music. Getting upset by something so infantile is a waste of energy, you may as well go outside and yell at clouds.

I'm not wasting energy im sitting on my computer smoking weed and listening to music. Thanks for the concern.

ITT: People who don't realize that hip-hop is not the only genre black people still make.

B-b-but fantano and p4k didn't tell me

pbr&b doesn't count

>what is jazz

goddamn TIMELESS classic, instrumentally and lyrically. shit should be the definition of Sup Forumscore

You shouldn't sit on your computer it might overheat

I know that, I was mocking most of Sup Forums for their scope of music not straying from TND/p4k

Motown shoulda died. Fuck that nigga berry gordie.

Is that cum on her face?

>tfw Motown was behind the new Yachty album

been doing it for years. hasn't yet.

Second half of OTW is trash aside from I Can't Help it.

I love Songs In the Key of Life too, but it just goes on too long. After a few listens I just pick the favorites. WGO is

You forgot to mention Innervisions, the better Stevie Wonder album.

Second half of OTW is stellar. Girlfriend is the only song holding it back.

Girlfriend is great, yo
It's a better version of The Girl is Mine

btw I said "Sign o the Times" by Prince, not Songs in the Key of Life. They're the two greatest double albums ever tho so I stand by both of them.

I feel like if "dislikes trap music" is the worst kind of white person, white people must be pretty infallible.

Rate my soul/funk folder

no, the character is called Lina from dota 2 and she looks like that

i agree it's definitely a better version of The Girl is Mine. It's not a bad song, but it's easily my least favourite on the album.

You need Betty Davis in your life

lol that's definitely cum bro.

why wouldn't Prince be on here?

My least favorite is easily She's Out of My Life. Totally out of place on that album I hate that style of ballad anyway. 2 hairy thumbs down.

I have him under rock

>2:05 of the title track

>knew marvin gaye as the dude that sang that one sex song
>mfw listening to this album for the first time
>the fucking title track

truly one of the greatest albums EVER

That's fair I guess.

Not a fan of ballads like that either but I actually quite enjoy it and I think it works well as break from the high energy of the first half.

yah this album is top tier

best track - the ecology

lots of great artists, but you gotta put brenton wood and smokey robinson in there somewhere

I never was too crazy about the Miracles outside of a few singles. I'll check out Brenton Wood

god its so refreshing having a soul thread on this shithole of a board

agreed about the best track. Im studying ecology and when I first heard that song I got really emotional.... cause of the ecology ya know?...

Holy shit Brenton Wood is good. Thanks a lot for the rec

np :)

I recognize and respect the social message that What's Going On has, but Let's Get It On gets way more repeated plays from me. The first 7 tracks are unskippable - essentially every track is perfect and I don't really get that from What's Going On

potentially the best album ever

One album wonder general?

i might agree desu

Agreed. Glad to see this is still alive hours later.

Posting some RYM lists I'm following. On a summer Funk and Soul spree.

rateyourmusic.com/list/garuck/psychedelic_soul/
rateyourmusic.com/list/diction/digging_the_70s__funknsoul/
rateyourmusic.com/list/mtopper/the_evolution_of_funk__1967_1975/
rateyourmusic.com/list/Lord_Boom/great_psychedelic_soul_albums/

> intense ape.gif