I really want to learn to drive a truck but ive only drove an automatic car and there is a truck school that is 17 days...

I really want to learn to drive a truck but ive only drove an automatic car and there is a truck school that is 17 days for a class a cdl a few towns over. if i have no clutch experiance would i be fucked? would they get pissed off or make fun of me? would i have a tough time? is this common for someone who only has drove an automatic to be able to learn or would it be tough? i have experiance with air brakes and changing them but thats it really

thank you

Other urls found in this thread:

mirror.co.uk/tech/google-driverless-car-involved-worst-8917388
evobsession.com/tesla-autopilot-crash-details-put-driver-tesla-autopilot-worse-light/
theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/07/convoy-self-driving-trucks-completes-first-european-cross-border-trip
logisticsmgmt.com/article/truckers_prepare_for_era_of_driverless_trucks_coming_sooner_rather_than_lat
fastcompany.com/3069053/a-startups-plan-to-halve-cargo-shipping-costs-with-777-size-drones
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why the fuck did you never learn to drive a stick?

cause i dont own one or know anyone with one

They will not be pissed off. You are a paying customer. They will teach you what you need to know

you will only have a cdl to drive automatic trucks if you cant learn stick which means you get the bitch routes and the worn out trucks

Not to worry. A growing minority of big rigs have automatic transmissions now. I mean, yeah, they're the trucks in the fleet they give to noobs and illegals to drive but they do exist.

Chek'd
You never drove a motorcycle?

The only time you use the clutch in a big truck is taking off, stopping, or heavy traffic. Odds are the school is going to stick you in a worn out Freightliner with a 10 speed tranny.

I know just the place for you.

Just go through a companies school and lear there.

THIS

If you have no clutch experience, I think you wouldn't even manage to start the truck lmao, nor driving it

No clutch is better than standard clutch exp when it comes to learning how to 18 wheeler

Why do you want to learn a skill that automation will eliminate within 10 years or less?

Try 100

You think it will be 100 years before 99% of interstate truck traffic (where the trucking money is) will be automated?

Have you *heard* of insurance? Do you know what will happen to insurance rates for human drivers when reliable automated systems are in place? Even if they stayed exactly the same, robot drivers will be so, so, so much cheaper and so much more reliable, it'll effectively happen overnight.

In conclusion, youDenseMotherfucker.jpg

And do you know what the insurance companies who profit off that service will do to deter it. Every accident in automated driving will be another set back. Thwy will have to prove it works perfectly before it gets adopted if it gets adopted.

Insurance companies aren't going to be the ones opposing it because every one of those automated vehicles will still need to be insured. The ones who will really push against it will be the truck driver unions representing the drivers who will be put in the poorhouse once machines make them obsolete.

>trucks that dont have wrecks will still need insurance. On the same level as humans who do stupid shit on a daily basis.
Truckers unions will also resist as well. Plus they're have been recent accidents with these things keeping the switch from happening.

>Plus they're have been recent accidents
There have been two recent incidents, one of them was when a driverless vehicle operated by Google was hit by a commercial van being driven by a human who ran a red light. The other is the Tesla crash in which the driver testing the autopilot feature was killed. There has been no evidence to show the driverless feature was to blame. The evidence points to that the Tesla driver was not paying attention, as his laptop was found open and running after the crash.

mirror.co.uk/tech/google-driverless-car-involved-worst-8917388

evobsession.com/tesla-autopilot-crash-details-put-driver-tesla-autopilot-worse-light/

The systems aren't perfect but the only recent car crashes involving driverless vehicles were caused by human error.

This is irrelevant, all the masses care about is "driverless car crashed"

I drove about 600 miles yesterday, and for a section of it, the interstate was shut down completely, all 4 lanes. Why? Because a trucker "failed to slow for slowed traffic passing a burning vehicle" and slammed into a small car, then collided with a trailer hauling rebar. The rebar skewered the cab, killing the driver. The 3 occupants of the car were killed on impact, which then caught fire and burned the truck as the flames spread.

Even the most rudimentary auto-driving systems available today would have prevented that accident.

You are the trucker's insurance company. Wouldn't you rather have had a robot driving that truck? It certainly would have been cheaper.

Apply this logic to an entire industry, and watch what happens.

Which is exactly why private companies should continue developing these systems and rolling them out anyway, as the masses generally do not know what's best for them.

No because with out accidents my insurance becomes useless/obsolete

I've been run off the road by a semi truck driver who crossed over three lanes of traffic to make an exit with no turn signal. I cannot wait until the day all truck drivers are replaced by machines who won't do stupid shit like this.

A lot of large trucks are automatic these days. Also, are planning on being a trucker?! DON'T! Driver-less trucks are coming into the market faster then people think!

Source: My dad is in a distribution industry and can't wait to fire these over paid, unionized workers,

This is true it is a huge difference between the two. The concept itself is different you rarely if not at all is throttled while easing off the clutch on a tractor.

This won't happen in your life nor will it happen on your kids life if you have them. The American people joe the government will allow unmanned equipment to transport people or come in contact with people that can result in injury. It's why that FAA still refuses to open up airspace to UAVs and they have been around sense the mid 80s

just fucking do it op! dont be a faggot living your life.

whats the worse that could happen? some people you dot know and will never see will make a couple of comments about you? fuck that.. also when signing in explainyour situation with the company and ask them if its ok, it prob will be. now fuck off, live life.

For this to be a legitimate thing one of two things would have to be adopted all major highways would need to be upgraded for the roads to have sensors that relay messages back and got to the vehicle. Or a system like UAVs have that would require a satcom/LOS array to transfer data between trucks and road systems. Unmanned transport is a lon ways away.

This.float that shit like a boss.

Tell your dad to keep wishing

I got my class A through a school and very little prior knowledge of a manual you'll pick up on it. Practice makes perfect.

Op im the guy with 13 years experience from your last thread. Go get your damn cdl and quit butching out man. Its a cdl school for a reason, t he y will teach you everything you need to know hands on. And if you cant pass the written and driving test then at least you know! Now stop fuckin off and go do something with your life, quit asking btards for advice when 90 percent of em cant even drive a tractor trailer! Hell 98 percent of em cant even tell you the stopping distance realtive to speed being traveled for either an empty or loaded truck. Hell ask em about following distance too while youre at it...fyi 1 second per every ten feet of vehicle length.

Fuck you and your faggot dad.
Over paid my fucking ass. Ill cut your throat. Fuckinf pompous little fucking faggot. Also automation is still decades away

lots of trucks have push button transmisions now

Teamsters are by far the laziest union though...

Yea i agree, autonomous trucks will more than likely injure and kill significantly more people that drivers will. All it takes is one hacker who says watch this and bam, trucks are hijacked and running amuck. Look at what that dude did with an ap and some comouter biards, hijacked a boeing passenger jet and flew it like an rc airplane.

>all major highways would need to be upgraded for the roads to have sensors that relay messages back and got to the vehicle. Or a system like UAVs have that would require a satcom/LOS array to transfer data between trucks and road systems.

Last year a convoy of automated trucks drove across Europe. Normal roads, no satcom/LOS array. The trucks communicate with each other through a wireless link between the vehicles itself, with no input from sensors in the road.

theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/07/convoy-self-driving-trucks-completes-first-european-cross-border-trip

The technology is developing rapidly and, while it still needs some work, the age of the driverless vehicle will soon be upon us.

not op but how long was your school and was it hard?

Additionally, many major trucking companies are already on board and are eager to be able to ship goods without needing to pay a driver.

logisticsmgmt.com/article/truckers_prepare_for_era_of_driverless_trucks_coming_sooner_rather_than_lat

>The Trucking Alliance Board of Directors, which represents eight large trucking companies that operate 68,000 trucks, 175,000 semitrailers and containers, and employ more than 52,000 people, unanimously passed a resolution that “supports the development of advanced vehicle technologies that enable commercial drivers to utilize highly automated driving systems, enhancing their safety and security.”

So easy to get a class A cdl op, took me like 3 weeks. Instead of worrying about gears and driving a bigass truck.

Get a job doing hot shot trucking driving a dually and pulling a trailer. You will make more money with your newbie experience and you can save up for your own truck.

P.S. its almost impossible to get a job driving with a CDL until after you have the license for 1 year and get no tickets or accidents, then your insurance rates drop and you are hireable.

was it hard to learn if ive never drove stick?

Some info I've never seen...nice. But like I stated before. If the FAA won't release airspace to UAVs it's not going to allow unmanned trucks to operate on much more populated environment. When in the US the minimum elevation between aircraft are 3000ft. Things are being developed just like they did when the race for UAVs did. But it's a safety and public discomfort thing. I'll be honest I have spent the last 10 years working in the UAS industry and I still don't trust the fucking things and I sure as hell won't go anywhere near a unmanned vehicle weighting 50,000lbs. I'd say if anything the first place you'll see something like this is Australia. It's been over 30 years that UAVs have been in operation. And there isn't anything in the near future concerning those things operating in non military airspace.

do you have any mechanical knowledge of how clutches and transmissions (non-syncro crashbox type) work? most truck drivers know this stuff and learning to operate one without understanding what is actually going on is much harder.

Apples and oranges. An automated plane that crashes has the potential to be much more devastating then an automated truck that crashes. Also the FAA deals with with aviation and obviously has no input on vehicle traffic. Considering that most car crashes are the result of human error, eliminating the potential for human error will make them much safer than traditional trucking. I imagine people will be afraid of it at first but it will catch on quick.

And the FAA has given approval for a company to test prototypes of drones that would carry cargo across the ocean, moving cargo faster than ships and cheaper than traditional cargo planes. If it shows merit it'll only make it more likely that the FAA will approve some form of automated cargo drone across U.S. airspace, probably sooner rather than later.

fastcompany.com/3069053/a-startups-plan-to-halve-cargo-shipping-costs-with-777-size-drones