Picture this

You're in war-stricken Yugoslavia. The year is 1993. You're unable to travel outside the country, you have no job and any day you could be drafted and sent to the front.

Drugs are cheap and plentiful. So are track suits.

Please enjoy this video of a Serbian rave party from the civil war era, set to a song sampling hits of the period.

youtube.com/watch?v=a6c7lvjN0os

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7PH5nk_2SGE
youtube.com/watch?v=gs8nVoAdLI8
youtube.com/watch?v=txin4_mZnwU
youtube.com/watch?v=LbIHueXQucc
residentadvisor.net/features/2963
calvertjournal.com/features/show/3929
youtube.com/watch?v=QbaJvusDtD4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I saw like 7 different people who look like woody harrelson in natural born killers and I'm not even halfway through the video

nice hardcore slavic adidas dancing though

yugoslavia in 1993 was serbia+montenegro, and it wasn't war-stricken
also
>civil war
3/10, try again

are they on drugs

>Drugs are cheap and plentiful. So are track suits.

hahahahahhaahahaha

soldiers from serbia and montenegro were fighting in bosnia and croatia, while serbia and montenegro itself were under international sanctions and literally starving

>mfw your wikipedia skills don't match my having grown up in this place

very much so, yes

>dat look of desperation 2:05

Societies in collapse such as 90s Yugoslavia and 90s Russia have always been endlessly fascinating to me.
Especially the relationship these societies had with Western popular culture at that time. I have an incredibly difficult time imagining anybody in mid-90s Serbia or Croatia giving a shit about, like, I dunno, Oasis' Definitely Maybe or U2's Zooropa, and yet I know that plenty of people undoubtedly did give a shit about those records and those bands despite the horror that was going on around them every single day.

I somehow stumbled upon this early 90s Serbian indie rock band a while ago, total Sonic Youth/Dinosaur Jr. worship and again, I have a hard time imagining how someone could even think about making music like this in that time, in that place, in those conditions. I just can't wrap my head around it.

youtube.com/watch?v=7PH5nk_2SGE
youtube.com/watch?v=gs8nVoAdLI8

>your wikipedia skills
stefane ubi se, niste bili "war-stricken"

It;s interesting you would bring up this band. I myself listened to them when I was younger. Most of Serbian music was either complete trash or very dark, only a few bands managed to pull out a genuinely positive sound out of the era.

For example, there's this synth-pop band that in no way fit into its surroundings:

youtube.com/watch?v=txin4_mZnwU

Some Western music was better received than other of course. For example, The Prodigy doing a concert in Belgrade in 1995 (despite strong discouragement from the international community) was immense, and earned them a huge fan base in these parts. They even chose to perform Breathe for the first time ever at that gig.

davore, ja sam presao u bg iz krajine kad sam imao 5 godina, ne znam za sve ali ja sam war stricken do jaja

>For example, The Prodigy doing a concert in Belgrade in 1995

I read about that! That's another thing that fascinates me, the Western musicians that actually had the balls to play in those countries during those years and the way that the audiences must have reacted to them...

>The Prodigy in mid-90s Belgrade
>Moby in mid-90s Belgrade
>U2 in mid-90s Sarajevo
>Iggy Pop playing in Croatia several times during the war
>The Ramones playing in Croatia during the war
>all the biggest Earache bands(Napalm Death, Godflesh, Carcass, Entombed etc.) playing in Croatia during the war

It's really hard to imagine being in the audience at any of those gigs and somehow managing to get into the music while being fully aware that your country is waging an unbelievably savage war with its immmediate neighbours.

And all that while some big (read: popular with the masses) Serbian, Bosnian and Croatian musicians still refused to play in the other countries for a decade or two after the war. And others are banned for their war-mongering lyrics from during the war.

This shit is really lame and autistic desu

kek

>Yugoslavia in year 1993
Just stop, Yugoslavia completely died once Croatia got off that stupid ride.
By mid 90's things were somewhat stable but also most of the war was going on at the border. Zagreb especially was always safe.

>Just stop, Yugoslavia completely died once Croatia got off that stupid ride.

Well, ok, the territory of ex Yugoslavia then. Semantics aren't the point here.

This song is fucking terrible.

Why is /ex-yu/ so much more interested in local music than any other Sup Forums general?

That song is really fucking bad.

>tfw we have such a nice local community that we got on Resident Advisor and everyone seems to love us
youtube.com/watch?v=LbIHueXQucc

Get on our levels, Eastern Europe
residentadvisor.net/features/2963

fb.com/mrzimtvojbend/

>I have an incredibly difficult time imagining anybody in mid-90s Serbia or Croatia giving a shit about, like, I dunno, Oasis' Definitely Maybe or U2's Zooropa, and yet I know that plenty of people undoubtedly did give a shit about those records and those bands despite the horror that was going on around them every single day.

i think people thrown into such grim circumstances would find more meaning and relief in contemporary popular culture than the people who just went about their business in a normal environment. i think it'd have a normalizing effect on the whole thing, at least to some degree.

that U2 concert in bosnia that you mentioned, i know a bosnian serb who attended that show and he said that it had a strong cultural effect on sarajevo, that in a way it signaled the end of the war in bosnia more than any peace treaty or ceasefire.

camel-neck rat man will always be my favorite.

>90s Russia
here's an interesting (english) read on it

calvertjournal.com/features/show/3929

That's not Yugoslavia. That's footage from Thunderdome 96 or 97. It's a dutch Gabber festival. That video doesn't even have the original song in it.

youtube.com/watch?v=QbaJvusDtD4

This