The pleb in me just wishes there was a bit more happening in the movie

The pleb in me just wishes there was a bit more happening in the movie.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y0KFVgTxCiQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>we get told there are traps but they are never shown thus losing all sense of danger

Pretty shit storytelling

It's not really supposed to be a movie you actively watch. You're just meant to put it on in the background while shitposting on Sup Forums or playing vidya (playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. lol)

honestly the most boring, ugly, and annoying movie ive ever seen

everything from the coloring to the annoyingly metallic sounds

what a piece of flaming shit

fuck you russia

It needs the big budget sequel.
A mad max 2 of sorts.

That was my biggest concern with the movie. If I had actually felt the danger of the traps once the atmosphere would have been more suspenseful. This way I first thought the guy was just bullshitting.

>Soviet era low budget "indie" film

Pretty sure they were just too poor to show the traps.

Maybe that's part of the problem. I would have accepted some sort of mental breakdown or acting as though they were in pain, too. Simple stuff.

>meat grinder room
>stalker chugs on vodka, puffs on a cigarette and says "that's bait"
>professor takes off his flaming skull mask and screams "THERE ARE NO GODS, FUCK YOU SHEEPLE"
>200% speed closeup of his face squirming as he's torn to pieces
>"heh, checkmate atheists" says the stalker as he flicks the cig away
>scene ends on a close of the professor's disembodied head, the survivors movingg on in the background

Go watch Vyöhyke then.

They aren't really traps though, they're strange phenomena created by water ever force created the zone. It was aliens in the book it's loosely based on. They also do get stuck in them once or twice. The other thing is you're not really supposed to be sure if any of it is real, if they had big suspenseful death traps it would ruin that.
You can say it's boring and annoying but no way is it ugly

It is slow. Painfully slow but I loved the movie.

I thought there was a palpable sense of danger and some legitimacy to the Zone. The place is cordoned off by the military and people have died there. The immediate threat of the individuals to the group is pretty obvious (he freaks out when he realizes the writer has a gun).

His other movies have a similar tone so I wouldn't suggest them. I still haven't seen Solaris so who knows.

You do know a lot of people probably died from filming this movie. They're going through raw industrial waste at some parts. Have you ever stepped into a flooded place where you can't see if the footing will hold up?

I'm pretty sure you're right but I the suspense and feeling of danger wasn't lost on myself. The pacing can make it get lost though.

I had to set aside a very deliberate three hours to watch this film. I'm very happy I did and I loved it. It is a great reminder that you can tell a story with almost no extra big budget bullshit.

There is a good bit of evidence that the traps are real or at least that the Zone is actively influencing them. The Zone tells the writer to go back at one point when he breaks off from the group. He literally hears a voice and the other two deny it. The professor was with the Stalker the whole time and he would have called him out for lying if the Stalker had told the writer to come back. That part REALLY drew me in because it meant the Zone was real but not necessarily real in the sense that the Stalker or Porcupine understood it.

Here's some insight on where they were filming. Shit would never happen today.

>We were shooting near Tallinn in the area around the small river Jägala with a half-functioning hydroelectric station. Up the river was a chemical plant and it poured out poisonous liquids downstream. There is even this shot in Stalker: snow falling in the summer and white foam floating down the river. In fact it was some horrible poison. Many women in our crew got allergic reactions on their faces. Tarkovsky died from cancer of the right bronchial tube. And Tolya Solonitsyn too. That it was all connected to the location shooting for Stalker became clear to me when Larisa Tarkovskaya died from the same illness in Paris

ive never seen so many plebs concentrated in one thread.

Incredibly insightful.

Well, thanks for joining us! Here, take your personal pleb hat and sit with us.

The film was not ugly except in parts it was meant to be. The color shift is deliberate and obvious. The Stalker says he only feels alive and free in the Zone. Thus the change from black and white simplicity to color and nature give a visual for that change on top of the dialogue.

I wish this thread wasn't such shit and the anons posting criticism actually offered up some more insight into what they didn't like.

I think there are plenty of scenes that are gratuitously long and boring but making this thread just to shitpost is stupid.

>hurr I don't get stalker
>it's so boring!
>WHERE ARE THE EXPLOSIONS!!!
>why is it black and white now?
>who's dog is that?
>why could the kid do magic shit the whole time?
>is there going to be another shooting scene?

youtube.com/watch?v=y0KFVgTxCiQ

This is my last bump. Good luck out there!

I watched The Mirror the other day and I just don't get it, despite really like Stalker and Solaris.
Do I need to be Russian?

Did you enjoy that railroad trip lasting almost 3 or 5 minutes long ? So deep.

Maybe. I always wonder that with translation. Tarkovsky isn't a god (see Ingmar Bergman). I haven't seen The Mirror

There could have been some serious editing done to make this movie a lot better. That whole scene and them laying around the river should have been half their length at the most.

>russia
it's a soviet movie though
not russian
all pre-1991 flicks are soviet

Kino as buck.

@73276406 Shadows of Chernobyl brought me here

Just click the post number. STALKER the game is awesome.

Infinitely superior to both the book and flick.

If I recall correctly, they had big troubles with the pellicule because of cheap commie machinery, and lost a lot of it, so they had to re-shoot it but with a much lower budget... so they memed it into muh poetry and muh contemplation... Thus tricking the reddit audience of the time, and still nowadays.

Better watch the unofficial remake that is AVALON by Oshii, with Polish qt, guns and virtual-reality.

A NUUUUUUUUUUU
CHIKI-BRIKI I V DAMKE

You're correct that the principal film was damaged/destroyed. You haven't seen another Tarkosky film if you think the poetry and other artsy stuff is unique to this film or because of budget issues. It isn't.

>AVALON
yikes
thats just lazy filmaking
and bloom

Avalon is Matrix for patricians, deal with it, pleb.

Call of Prypirat is better though desu.

Who should be cast in the Hollywood remake?

I'm thinking Edward Norton as the writer.

Spooky as fuck

jim norton as the stalker