Method Acting is Sexist!

So apparently, Method Acting and its practitioners are sexist because women cannot do it.

>theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/08/hollywood-has-ruined-method-acting/494777/

Thoughts?

I don't bother about thinking anymore, it makes me way too mad.

Bump

>has become more about ego and marketing than good performances.

I haven't read the article, or plan on it, but this here is true. Method acting is overrated.

>greentexting links

kys

>it's sexist because people focus too much on the dedicated male actors

Yeah, because they put their all into it. Bale went beyond for American Hustle. JLaw just showed up on set.

I hope anyone who clicks that link will bleed out from their fingers.

>putting on weight
>going beyond

Holy fucking kek

Are you a woman by any chance?

Dude I hate women lmao

You didn't understand the article

But there are female method actors...

I admit it wasn't the main focus of this article, but it did trail off bizarrely into diatribes about masculinity for some odd reason.

method acting's overkill, stanislavski was a hack le angry face if you agree

did you read the article?

hmmm

Method acting won. The proof is in the results. Joaquin Phoenix is infinitely more convincing in The Master than any actor prior to the method could ever hope to be.

Man it takes forever before the writer starts rambling about gender shit. I had to drop it after that.

Basically she took two instances of actors calling non-method acting "sissy" and used that as a barometer for the entire industry, with a dash of crazy feminist tossed in.

Why are women so shit at art? Even the one medium they seem to be halfway decent in (literature), their work seems to be disproportionately solipsistic and banal. A woman writing something like Hamlet or Lolita is unthinkable.

Method acting isn't even real acting. It's just playing yourself, which anybody can do.

It would be too long to explain and would inevitably sound /r9k/ if I write more than three lines about it.

The tl;dr is that Weininger was right about women. Read Sex and Character for the long version.

>"Leto’s Joker is the latest evidence that the prestige of method acting has dimmed—thanks to the technique’s overuse by those seeking award-season glory or a reputation boost"

Yet Leto is too small and too mediocre to be credited with ruining method acting

It's not really a bad article. There's some random feminist stuff thrown in, but I mostly agree with it.

can someone just post the text? I don't want to click that shit

>Method acting is overrated.
Agreed

The feminist shit isn't even half of what's wrong with the article. The method being misused as a marketing gimmick doesn't discredit it; trying to inhabit the character you're playing is a perfectly valid means of acheiving the goal of giving a good performance. If your have a problem with the prestige bestowed on the method, then that's the media's fault, not the actor's.

Also schopenhauer

From a genetic standpoint, I'm inclined to think it has a lot to do with the much, much higher level of influence the female reproductive system has upon hormone levels than the male reproductive system. As the uterus seems to throw off random hormone floods like they're shitty beads at mardi gras.

Also its basically been proven in torture studies that regular predictable torture will severely diminish the mental capacity of any person. See: the menstrual cycle.

>Acting and its practitioners are sexist because women cannot do it

Let's just get the inevitable follow-up out of the way. The fact of the matter is that women as a whole are not very good at anything but instead of admitting equality is a joke we just have to stop doing everything.

Did you ever hear the story of how when they were making Marathon Man, Dustin Hoffman had a scene where he was supposed to be tired, so he stayed up all night to be tired for the shoot. When he told Lawrence Olivier about it, Lawrence said, "Why not try acting? It's much easier."

You're underestimating the effect testosterone has on the male brain. Half of the shit we do we do out of the manly urge our hormones impart on us. I've done more serious research in order to prove someone wrong in a dick-measuring internet argument than i've done for school.

>method """""""acting"""""""
buncha hacks

she's irrelevant now

Everyone's heard that story. And no offense to Olivier, who's a legend in his own right, but the performances given by modern method actors like DDL far outclass anything he ever did.

>not only is it a woman complaining that method acting is sexist because it resembles manual labour
>its a black woman

way to reinforce stereotypes doll

>I've done more serious research in order to prove someone wrong in a dick-measuring internet argument than i've done for school.
So male hormones drive you to research and debate? Seems to prove his point.

That gives you passion though.

Estrogen gives the exact opposite of passion.

Passion is the tool of the autist, the driver of society.

Having a penis is sexist because women don't have one. Not to worry, under a Hillary Presidency, all cis white males will be given sexual reassignment therapy.

Daniel Day Lewis is not an especially impressive actor.

My point was that the differences between men and women aren't only due to female hormones, but male ones too. He suggested that female hormones alone are the primary reason for the difference.

i've recently liked the atlantic on facebook because i thought it's just moderately liberal and not like salon, gawker or some other SJW rags
turns out it's exactly the same with the odd non-political article that's decent

I read this the other week, it's actually a pretty good article but w/e I guess the MRA Sup Forumstards are incapable of reading.

I am not. I'm saying if hormone levels are as rain, men are deserts and women are oceans. As women get testosterone floods/spikes as well.

Even sites that lean right on economic and foreign policy issues like The Daily Beast are far left when it comes to social issues. The media is costal; they all think like hippy San Franciscans or cosmopolitan New Yorkers.

which is proof of internalized misogyny

lol method "acting" is a crutch for sociopaths that cant understand human feelings and therefore cant actually act. pretending to be something you arent and portraying something you arent are two different things

>He suggested that female hormones alone are the primary reason for the difference.

Please tell me how so I can avoid that in the future.

I don't buy that. Tell that to a 14 year old boy who spends half his day impatiently going from one thing to the other (we call that male disease ADD), and the other half furiously masturbating. Male hormones are a powerful thing. Read up on transmen and how crazy they get once they start taking male hormones.

Women don't need to method act because they're all just playing either a bitch or a whore and they can do that naturally.

... putting yourself into the mindset of a different person actually requires a ton of empathy.

You're confusing method acting for classical acting. The latter being primarily focusing on displaying emotions, because you can't actually feel them.

>I'm inclined to think it has a lot to do with the much, much higher level of influence the female reproductive system has upon hormone levels than the male reproductive system.

uhhh if you have to play pretend to put yourself in someone elses shoes you are emotionally retarded

Women are always acting

method acting is literally the process of putting yourself in someone else's shoes

We're not talking developmental hormones here. Women stay at teenaged hormone levels their entire lives. Men have a spike then a fall-off.

I'm still missing where that says "UTERUS MEANS ESTROGEN ONLY NO TEST"

Maybe its because you don't understand how similar the systems are?

Is that true? I was under the impression that the levels changed after menopause.

classically trained actors are the best

Women are liars.
They methode act all their lives

I don't think of the post-menopausal as women.

I never said that you said that. You flat-out implied that women were more hormonal than men are, not that the balance differed between genders.

>Lincoln's hairstyle and beard would be considered nu-male core today

Are you sure you know how to read?

Am I sure I know how to write?

"Method Acting" is a retarded name

Like most numales. Lincoln grew the beard because he knew he had an ugly face. He was still a 6'4" tree-chopping, Machiavellian alpha, though.

>Women have certainly undergone radical physical or cosmetic changes for roles. But when people praise actresses like Nicole Kidman (who donned a prosthetic nose in The Hours) Charlize Theron (who gained weight and shaved her eyebrows in Monster), the focus is less on their talent and dedication and more on how brave they are for deciding not to be beautiful.

Is this cunt fucking serious? How is that in any way comparable to cutting 100lb like Bale did or sleeping in a fucking carcas like Leo did? Do women have any fucking awareness?

I was intimating that women have more hormonal triggers than men, which cause floods of different hormone cocktails (spoiler: there are more than two) at the slightest provocation.

APPARANLTY I DIDN'T INCLUDE A PRIMER ON THE COMPLETE UNDERSTANDING OF THE HUMAN REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM IN MY POST THAT COMPARED THE VAJAYJAY TO A MARDI GRAS PARADE, FOR THAT I APOLOGIZE