Is football under cultural attack?

I never particularly cared for football. I've tried to watch it, and the over-saturation of commercials always ruined it for me.

But I find it VERY worrying that pop culture icons like Neil Degrass Tyson and viral narcisism videos on YouTube seem to be bashing the very idea of football as intellectually inferior to.... scarecam gaming vidya and shallow Ted Talks?

I look at sports kind of like a smaller, less important and less obviously important version of the military. It's an enforcer of manliness for our society, and even though I don't worry about being an overly manly man, I think for society to prosper, we need manly men, because feminized men will kill this world with laziness and pettiness.

I don't plan on watching football anytime soon, but if there's anything I can do to embarass fedora lords trashing "sportsball" or otherwise make sure football makes it to the next generation, please let me know.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/neiltyson/status/810606422866137088
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>fedora lords trashing "sportsball"

This triggers me every time. It's one thing to not like sports. It's another thing to think you're superior for not liking sports.

>Sagan said that however many decades ago
>Football is still here
I don't think there's much to worry about. Any demise of football will come from parents freaking out about CTE, not from intellectuals shitting on it, which they have probably done for every sport since the beginning of time.

Also some of us feminized lazy nu-males still like watching it, t. feminized lazy nu-male

I was listening to one guy in the office talk about how apparently Michael Bay is making another Transformers movie
>when will Bay learn?
Learn what, I thought? That his explodey movies make money? That "deep introspective" thrillers like Primer and 2001: A Space Odyssey, don't bring in the big bucks?
I found the dork watching some stupid gaming meme videos about some FPS, where you get mauled by a bear a bunch of times with loud unfunny buzzer noises.

I hate gamers even though I do play videogames all the time there is no more a group of beta assholes who will get mad at you for not being as good as something as they are

I've never played a game of pickup basketball and had a guy really get mad at everyone else because he's losing and be like "I'm going to just leave the court omg you guys", "it's not fair this guy is like way taller than everyone else omg" like you're just playing basketball the act alone is fun enough

You learn sportsmanship and if you want to be a dick you're right there with everyone able to judge you on your whiny ass and if you lose you lose

gamers will makeup ten billion excuses so they don't look bad online or some shit??? i don't even know man I used to love videogames

They wanted so badly to be able to do sports but couldn't, so they rationalize hardcore.

Sagan was REVERING football. People like Neil are trash-talking it today,
twitter.com/neiltyson/status/810606422866137088

Also the first comment is "Kardashians are dumb lol"
I honestly haven't heard anything from Kardashian fans, one-tenth as much as I have from anti-Kardashian signallers.
I never heard of a single person who admitted to liking Jersey Shore, but countless people who think its the greatest cancer on civilization.

The popular meme that Reality TV is somehow particularly bad, is interesting, because I think Reality TV (as manipulated and manipulative as it MIGHT BE) is always inevitably closer to reality then cultural marxist programming of fictional stories that must demonize "muh corporations" at every turn.

>2001: A Space Odyssey, don't bring in the big bucks
what did he mean by this?

I think the bare numbers might be misleading. As I understood it (or misunderstood it), 2001 was a gigantic flop that barely remade its money with a cult following.

Perhaps 2001 had a longer theatrical run and had more time to capitilize on the cult following, or maybe I was just misinformed completely. In anycase, do you think another film in the vein of 2001 would financially successful today, and if so, why isn't it being made?

You're misinformed, 2001 was by far the most successful film of its year. Also Interstellar made $700 million on a $150 million dollar budget 2 years ago. and Arrival just made $200 million on a $40 million dollar budget. Both are sci-fi thinkpiece movies in the same vein as 2001.

I'm not defending the nerd you're talking about, because you're right Transformers makes literally a billion dollars every single time a new one comes out, but to say 2001 or other arthouse films aren't profitable is ludicrous.

>Also Interstellar made $700 million on a $150 million dollar budget 2 years ago
>sci-fi thinkpiece movies in the same vein as 2001.

>"love transcends time and space"
>"""thinkpiece"""

I didn't see Arrival, though.

The growth in football has directly coincided with the growth in financilization and deregulation that destroyed the middle-class of this country. Moreover, the war-like aspects have become more and more pronounced and reflect on our bloodthirst and profiteering especially in the post 9-11 era.

Baseball is the true heart of this country, it should rise again.

>I never heard of a single person who admitted to liking Jersey Shore

Apparently you weren't around when Sup Forums had daily Jersey Shore threads.

>Apparently you weren't around when Sup Forums had daily Jersey Shore threads.
Is Jersey Shore sports? I thought it was just reality TV. Is Sup Forums cool with "Survivor" discussion threads?

>Is Jersey Shore sports?
no, but Sup Forums used to have a bunch of off-topic threads pre-2012, newfriend

we were inundated with Jersey Shore threads and even Big Brother when that one faggot Sup Forumserg was on the show.

Maybe you just suck at videogames

Have you tried gitting gud?

Sup Forums used to be like a sports bar. Sports were obviously dominated, but we could have off topic threads if we wanted, like power rankings, car chase threads, ass threads, etc. Then the mods killed it.

I aint talking about me being bad ya goof

I'm talking about the homies that get actually upset in real life when a videogame aint going their way

Football, like boxing and other combat sports, is looked down upon because of how dangerous it is. It's a modern day version of gladiators, men getting destroyed to entertain the general masses. That's fucked up man, it's not about manliness or anything like that. There are plenty of sports that require strength, discipline, and toughness but don't shorten your lifespan by 30 years. Rugby for example is still a very manly sport and it's similar to football, but rugby players don't suffer concussions at the same rate that football players do, and rugby players live much longer than football players do.

When most people shit on football it's not in the nu-male "I hate dudebro sportsball!" way, it's in the "I'm concerned for the well-being of the men playing this sport" way.

There's a reason normal people aren't letting their kids play football anymore.

Daily reminder if you play video games past the age of 12 you should kys

>I aint talking about me being bad
Oh so you're blaming it all on "your teammates being shit". Typical zero-responsability shitty gamer.

>that get actually upset
Like writing a four paragraph post about how other gamers make you so upset?

lee mao

W-what Madden games?

what the fuck is wrong with playing Madden or FIFA you pretentious faggot

Sports games are not vidya you retarded fucking newfag

Masculinity is dying.

How do we fix it?

Well alright man sorry to bother ya lol just giving my thoughts I did get heated over gamers, I didn't think you would also get mad

I didn't say its because they're shit just that people will get really mad when something goes wrong

not him but thats like 4 sentences he just pressed the enter key before each one

i
don;t
get
why
people
do
it

You can't. Emasculated masculinity is the new norm in the current year. Buy a fedora and start tippping.

Clearly it is to listen to fat people like Matt Forney and become an anime nazi

It's the "square-cube rule". Players keep getting bigger, but their bodies can't withstand the impact of all that extra mass, even their own. Maybe there should be a weight limit in the NFL (though that would heavily favor the defense).
I thik all the navel-gazing about sports injuries began when Kerri Strug sprained her ankle in the 1996 Olympics. It went from housewives freaking out over a minor injury to a teenage girl to virtue-signaling by pro sports commentators needing to fill air time.

This sounds so fuckin comfy but I can see both pros and cons of this.

Great threads, but autists from elsewhere won't realize the norms and board culture/atmosphere and start shitting it up turning it into Sup Forums

>Neanderthal Football League

Really makes you think...

>On Bigsoccer forums like 10 years ago
>See a post titled something like "How we should get soccer more popular" in the US section
>Guy lays out a plan to talk more about concussions
>Hopes that parents won't let their kids play football
>Hopes they instead will play soccer and watch soccer

Guy's doing it!!

>But I find it VERY worrying that pop culture icons like Neil Degrass Tyson and viral narcisism videos on YouTube seem to be bashing the very idea of football as intellectually inferior to.... scarecam gaming vidya and shallow Ted Talks?

>thinking Black Science Man is the authority on intellectualism

>>thinking Black Science Man isn't a PERCEIVED authority on intellectualism BY MOST PEOPLE.

Soon.

>I've never played a game of pickup basketball and had a guy really get mad at everyone else because he's losing and be like "I'm going to just leave the court omg you guys", "it's not fair this guy is like way taller than everyone else omg" like you're just playing basketball the act alone is fun enough

Holy shit, never made this connection before. Always hated RQers in game, but never realized how much that's a very much vidya specific thing.

That's actually exactly what happened. Feelfags and reddit came in and thought they could get away with anything. Shit sucks. Don't even know why I still come here.