Fight Club

Thoughts? I think it's pretty good. A tad overrated, but ultimately a well put together movie.

Is the film meant to be taken at face value or is it satirical?

I agree. The problem is the people who think Tyler is supposed to be a role model of some sort

both

it's great, I dont think there's much debate about that

Ed is my waifu so I might be biased

the book is very latently homoerotic

the movie tried to drop this but ended up coming across a little bit too serious instead

I think both 2bh

bump

Given that pic related is rated higher in places like IMDB it's not overated at all.

>A tad overrated
This

The problem with this is every 19 year old doucebag thinks this is the bible for his life. Its a good movie but way way overrated.

>"Self improvement is masturbation"
>Quote from character at 7% bf and visible six pack

>masturbation is bad

but user

he didn't exist

I watched it again last night, thought it was fun as usual.

Is there a certain genre of this kind of film, I'm talking specifically about the run down house sort of thing and the area.

I think the term is "pretentious trash" senpai.

Wow... I hate Fight Club now...

>pretentious
>he didn't get it

How? It's such a simple movie.

It's the ultimate pleb filter, as it filters plebs who think the movie's worthwhile or not worthwhile, both for the wrong reasons.

That poster is a photoshopped mess holy fuck, never really noticed it before.

Overrated as it is, I still like it. A theater near me was playing it earlier tonight. Would have liked to see it on the big screen one more time.
I watched Suicide Squad at that theater instead.

Good movie but they totally misinterpreted Tyler as the hero instead of the villian

neckbeards latched on and it pisses me off

I AM JACK'S LEFT OVARY

Closest thing to a movie version of The Downward Spiral, so yeah, p good.

I like it, but Mr. Robot did it better.

I love when people try to justify enjoying this movie by calling it satire and shitting on obvious interpretations that offend their sensibilities.

Jack kills Tyler to become him, or reintegrate him. Notice how after he shoots himself he is no longer neurotic, belligerent, and manic as he commands Project Mayhem members and addresses Marla. His terror and mania have been eliminated. It's a master-slave dialectic where Tyler is the Master, the Übermensch, until that last confrontation—Jack had to exhibit thymos and be willing to die for something higher than comfort and survival to become a self-actualised man. Overcoming Tyler means being worthy of his deeds, but because neurotic liberals tend to conflate all conflict with negativity, they can't understand that Jack overcoming Tyler is a victory for Tyler. The signs are always there in Tyler's commands: hit bottom, know that you will die, stop trying to control everything and let go. That's what Tyler tells Jack to do; when he finally does it, he no longer stands in Tyler's shadow.

the coolest shit about the movie is all the shit that the film wants to denounce (mainly how bad i want to suck brad pitt's dick)

>I love when people try to justify enjoying this movie

Stopped reading right there. You don't have to justify why you enjoy a movie.

Go on tumblr and you can find people arguing themselves into knots trying to call this movie a critique of toxic masculinity. People want things to fit their worldview, even if it's obviously a weak reading of a text. In fairness, some of them conclude that it 'failed' as a critique of toxic masculinity because literally no one who isn't a feminist would think that.

Well then in that case you'd totally be right.

That user's point was that the people he quoted were trying to do exactly that. They're afraid of other people thinking they like Fight Club because "toxic masculinity", so they grasp onto the idea that the movie is pure satire.

I personally think several aspects of the film are rooted in mocking those who will do whatever they're told by someone charismatic enough who spouts what they want to hear, and taking Tyler's "anarchistic" actions at pure face value is misguided. However, I totally agree with the above user that Tyler was an aspect of Jack's psyche trying to get him(self) over his own flaws through forcing Jack to accept responsibility and take control of his own decisions and mistakes.

The part where he said that we were a generation of man raised by women was 100% accurate.

It made us into pussies and Fight Club empowered men.

Project Mayhem was going to level the playing field, in theory.