/daily/ - White Jazz Edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!jRtyxYBQ!vmXUOMLvWa8dg732t93Eng
youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5-yYss-UY&t
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/diamanda_galas/the_divine_punishment/
google.com/search?q=square ass lookin' font that has lines for some of the parts too&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS708US708&oq=square ass lookin' font that has lines for some of the parts too&aqs=chrome..69i57.11091j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

no

no

no

NEW BASHO

JULY 23

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

what in the fuckers is a hot rat?

You really walked into this classic /daily/ meme™ didn't you?

xbox is actually kinda pacing themselves
i want to play a few of these games
this is scary

>warm rodent
nay

o dang

not going to be doing huge reviews for all of these unless they're remarkably good or remarkably bad. It'll probably take a good while too

anything i should start with here?

hot rats

hoyl shoot
do october language right now

well, would you look at that.

>Hot Rats
no

maybe Jangle will appreciate these hot rats.

Thot Rats

Hey /daily/, I'm interested in knowing how you guys usually schedule what new albums you listen to. Like do you listen an album from a certain chart, or just go in a random order of sorts or what? I have a massive clutter of artists on my cue that is piling up and I want to know how do you guys sort that out usually.

Hot Rats is a 10/10 album though.

>Hot Rats
no

Uncle Meat is superior I suppose

>Uncle Meat
no

make chart like , big or small, lots of thoughts for each album or none at all

choose wherever you want on it to start

and then listen to Hot Rats

*sip*

What is my name?

is he wearing lo borges' shoes????

Quick review while I try to write my thoughts on Closing Time for the other chart. Been listening to some records I picked up a bit ago but never got around to. Why I got a few of these is beyond me.

Springsteen - The River

I’ve become a huge Springsteen fan over the past year, diving into his music has been a treat. Dude has an amazing voice and something about his music just works for me. He blends some elements that shouldn’t work well together in a manner that sounds fantastic.

Overall, I really dig this but shit it's long.

What makes it work though is it's relative variety. It’s Springsteen so you basically know the two or three styles of songs he’s gonna throw at you but he mixes it up a fair amount. At first, I was hoping this would be a somber expansion of Darkness but on double albums I think it’s better to shoot for variety. Springsteen has rockier tracks, slow burning ballads and emotional cuts all mashed in. The result is way too scattered but somehow despite this variety, it comes across as consistent. The feel and emotion is basically the same throughout the tracks, he just seems to put a lot of passion into his music.

Biggest downside is this doesn’t seem to have many standouts. Side 1 is infinitely better because of this, with “Jackson Cage”, “Independence Day” and of course “Hungry Heart” as huge standouts. Side 2 seems to have more rock tracks which I think are ok in comparison and a few ballads that just seem to stretch on far too long. None of Side 2 pops out in any way and honestly, around 4 or 5 songs could’ve been cut.

Usually, I’d critique an album this overly long but I appreciate the way Springsteen is able to maintain such a unique feel despite the variety. I barely felt myself getting bored by this (took me until the 9 minute ballad “Drive All Night) which is rare in albums this long. Maybe not as ambitious as I'd hoped but I’ll give him credit because I’m honestly pretty biased.

4/5

whats my age again?

rip him

mitchel muzzolino

please Do Not
very close

Long Link Letov, can i get a kazma kazma dl?

I listen to whatever I want whenever I want.

no

>Hot Rats
no

>Hot Rats
no

>>Hot Rats
>no
no

he already dead
chiropractors are quacks

>Kazma Kazma - Discography
>You can pick individual folders to download
mega.nz/#F!jRtyxYBQ!vmXUOMLvWa8dg732t93Eng

thanks Lotev

youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5-yYss-UY&t

Does it count if its something i recorded?

I kinda just started this heavily Jazz Influenced trio, its very Fusion-Esque and Lounge Directed, you guys might enjoy it!

Has some progressive bits too!

I need to explore more Tom Waits man.

Tom Waits - Closing Time
>Piano Blues

When I first heard about Tom Waits, this is the style I was picturing. It touches on a lot of the lonely, hopeless and sentimental feelings I’ve come to enjoy from Springsteen. Many of the tracks on here are similarly bluesy and dark, with little guitar and piano riffs kind of tying together the emotions. Waits’ voice on here is incredible. I’ll give him credit for his experimental albums like Rain Dogs and Bone Machine but this is a perfect fit for his sound. Waits sounds like he’s about to cry any moment, he’s just on the brink of collapse during some of these tracks.

Subtle instrumental touches help match Waits’ emotions, with muted trumpet (fantastic by the way) popping up on “Virginia Avenue” and “Midnight Lullaby”. It reminds me a lot of Songs of Leonard Cohen in that way, the minimal instrumentation just pushes this to another level. Would’ve been easy to dress up these songs with layers of instrumentals or just lots of “touching” piano but Waits makes all the right decisions. Everything feels understated yet purposeful in that manner, even when strings come in on tracks like “Martha”.

Overall, this manages to capture a mood quite well. Sounds exactly like the album cover, just sullen and sentimental. I feel like half of these songs could be featured at the end of a sappy movie, as the protagonist rolls out of bed in the middle of the night to call their long lost love or a relative they haven’t talked to in 15 years. There’s a layer of that cliche and cheesiness somewhere in here, as Waits plays the “lonesome piano player” stereotype all throughout. But it’s a sound he pulls off damn well and one I really loved.

I could see this growing into a personal favorite.

>I need to explore more Tom Waits man
absolutely. The dude has a freakishly consistent discography. Dude made great music for over 30 years, and I wouldn't be surprised if he drops another album in the next few years (I hope).

Filtered permanenetly

>kazma-kazma
tons of fun! energy and melody and motion and fun.
>the umpteens
the lyrics are kind of hilarious if they're ironic and sad if they're sincere; either way, the songs are well-written, if a bit samey.

white noise is A+, as expected of delillo

blue velvet was fantastic - great performances and characters

holy fuck october language is good

yeah i'd say ha ha
no one else here really cares too much about it except stick i think

How's Ulysses going?
Chapter 3 is a mighty large wall isn't it

literally about to start as i type this
i have no preparation or previous joyce experience
should be a great time

o damn when did you bump it to a 5?

a good while ago
i just had one of those listens where it was like "damn son that's a god damn 5"

yes i am retarded but you know what i have learned the way i hope this doesnt cause more confusion

rec away

this is how you meme here huh

>kazma kazma
hai kazma desu

>Kazma Kazma
hai kazma desu

>kazma-kazma
hai kazma-desu

i really like this post

Oh it's a bloody masterpiece, gets every bit of praise that it deserves
Seek out the movie The Wind That Shakes the Barley, it's both a good movie and a good primer for the whole deal with Irish Nationalism at the time of Joyce's writings

Well are you gonna give us opinions or scores?

>3.5
...and friends all over again

you should listen to them, you like wacky energetic stuff don't you?

look at my post

>look at my post

my opinion does not matter and i dont score so no

it depends man
but i'm probably gonna

ok lol
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/diamanda_galas/the_divine_punishment/

>yes i am retarded

I don't know whether to give this a light 9 or a hard 8

It's so dense, like a pulled pork sandwich I wanna bite a fuckin chunk out of it

any restrictions?

if not rec is Uncle Meat

light 9's always a great bet it's a real grower too

>hurrdurr look at my snowflake taste for unknown tasteless garbage
>I'm l337 patrish
>look at my quirky name xD

i was gonna say keep it as a rock subgenre also i already heard uncle meat i really liked it

>post number ending in 69
>thicc image

>hurr hurr I like good music
fuck off dude

rec is Roxy & Elsewhere

is dat a kitty

thanks?

i'm just fuckin' w/ u

well did you look at it

i forgot to ask you if you can make it a rock rec

:v

>look at my quirky name xD
got me there
>I'm l337 patrish
got me there
>hurrdurr look at my snowflake taste for unknown tasteless
got me the-
>garbage
wrong

Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso U.F.O. - La Nòvia

oh fuck yea thanks

Hot Rats is on the same level as Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.

you're fuckin welcome mdood

the same level of overrated rockist jazz lmao

I think you should re-word this because it is ambiguous and/or doesn't make sense.

p.s. Is white jazz a subgenre?

What doesn't make sense about it?

>I think you should re-word this
no

>because it is ambiguous and/or doesn't make sense
exactly it's just a meme

>Is white jazz a subgenre?
no

Putting a lot more time into reading this summer. What should I tackle next (after The Iliad)? Super interested in all 4.
Waiting to find a Vol 2 of The Gulag Archipelago before I continue that; I managed to find vol 1 & 3 for a combined total of $0.60.

You're loss.

Should've grabbed this book from the thrift store when I had the chance, though I plan on reading The Odyssey beforehand even if it's barely necessary.

do brave new world i need to do that for summer reading.

oh hi im starting to read too :)
im reading the republic right now, but after that i'm either reading another saul bellow book i got for my birthday (I highly recommend you read Herzog!) or the book i ordered on Reggaeton if it would arrive already.

i say start ordinary men

hey thanks for the royalties did i really only sell two CDs? :'(

for now. it's bandcamp. i'd be scared if it wasn't tis slow to sell.

who else has heard this? I think it's amazing

this shit is great

i did
shit's catchy
has some soundtrackish quality to it don't it, i don't know, i can't put my finger on it

yo i will trll you something about charts and tourneys
they are lame
like i don't know how some of the lads in here do them since it kind of forces you into listening to stuff. Me personally i listen to whatever i want which cause me to never fucking do tourneys or charts or whatever. If i was you i would just do freeform charts and wht not. Right mow i'm trying my damn hardest to do the toruney but it's gonna take a while.

New sufjan has a lot of good "moments" but nothing really substantial that justifies it going on for 75 minutes. The first and last songs were the only ones that really that felt fulfilling. It might technically be a "collaboration" but, like, why? There wasn't anything achieved here that he hasn't done before (and better, I might add) by himself. Idk it just feels super overblown and prog-esque without much substance in between the great moments. I think the live bootleg would actually be much better, had the quality been as good as the studio album. Unless you're a huge sufjan fan I can't say I can highly rec this.

Mercury is legit one of the best pop songs of the year imo though. Definitely a standout moment, though the ending is very lackluster.

also what the fuck is that similar typeface that everyone uses post-2012? Does it have a name?

waiting for jimmyjazz

google

thanks
google.com/search?q=square ass lookin' font that has lines for some of the parts too&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS708US708&oq=square ass lookin' font that has lines for some of the parts too&aqs=chrome..69i57.11091j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

made me do a chuggle

Pere Ubu - Dub Housing
Awkward surfy post punk. I haven’t listened to The Modern Dance in a while but I think I liked it more than this.

Exuma - s/t
(ok hand emoji)
4.5+

KINO - s/t (Black Album)
This is less clammy than other post punk bands, but also more repetitive I’d say. I don’t particularly care for Tsoi’s singing. Songs go on too long.

David Bowie - Station to Station
Thin White Duke Bowie is one of my least favorite eras. The title track is nice, the rest fails to measure up to his previous and future work and or doesn't stand out from it.

some scores have been changed because I can't get a grip
what next?

its called Bifur

>forgot the chart
just end it already senpai

Hot Rats is one of the very few albums without a noticeable dip in quality in any of the songs. It's a flawless album.

I don't give a fr*ck

BIH HIT THAT UNCLE MEAT JOINT RN

>hot rats
no

Index boyyy
Can't dip below 0
me

I have to listen to 50 cent soon.
Fuck my life.

Man 50 Cent is fucking fun though, especially on that album. Also may have said this before but this is a lot of southern hip-hop for someone not into that style. 00s had more of a focus on the south though so it's probably a good representation of the decade