/skates/

I'm just getting into hockey and I was told to get your own skates soon so you can get use to them and not use random pairs of rentals. I don't know how to even tell the different skates apart though, are these any good? No reason to spend $400 on my first pair so I'm looking for something in around $90 to $150, what should I look for?

hockeymonkey.com/clearance/closeout-iceskates/closeout-iceskates-sr/ccm-hockey-skates-tacks-2052-sr.html#myGallery_179342

Also ITT: what was your first pair of skates? Do you still have them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LBqRt701oZQ
sydneyskateshop.com.au/hockey/new-skates/bauer-supreme-150-skates.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

lol I'm in the same boat as you (just went ice skating for the first time yesterday) and was looking at the same skates.

The reviews on the page call them terrible lol.

If it's the same as when I used to do inline skates then the idea is to try a whole bunch on until you find one that fits your foot correctly, same as motorcycle helmets.

I would never buy one sight unseen online without trying them on because I have a wide foot, the hire skates gave me blisters after an hour of skating.

you're stuck with ether the entry level ccm, or bauer

at that price point there isn't much difference

>I would never buy one sight unseen online without trying them on because I have a wide foot, the hire skates gave me blisters after an hour of skating.

this is a thing

they used to make skates all pretty small because big feet will eventually stretch them out, even if it's painful

now they make it out of plastic, and if you buy them they can heat them up and you tie them up tight while still warm and they fit you well, might have to go up to $200 for that though

>No reason to spend $400 on my first pair

That's more the logic for sticks and pads, cheap skates are flimsy and provide little resistance so you'll just end up rolling your ankle and be in agony.

You should look more at something like Bauer S160's or S170's but ideally you need to go to a store and see what fits you best.

youtube.com/watch?v=LBqRt701oZQ

huh, neat.

So you're sure beginner skates won't bake? they look like they're made of the same material to me.

I always had trouble with getting inline skates that fit properly.

Spend at least enough that you get a pair that has a removable stock and blade.

>first hokkei skates:
Bauers, still have them but they are kid's size 4.

>first speed skates
custom Cascade speed skates
still have those,but youth size 6's.

ama

how do you skate on speed skates when they only go up to the ball of your ankle.

Are they on super tight?

>Are they on super tight?
snug to almost uncomfortable. too tight is a great way to snap your shinbone in a crash there needs to be a *little* give at the ankle.

leather wont mold, but hard plastic will
making it out of plastic is more expensive, and mostly so they offer more protection when hit with a puck

ccm and bauer claim there's 'memory foam' in their more expensive pairs

is right about s160, I'd say it's the cheapest skate that's good enough to handle a slap shot

I've heard claims that all of the guys blades falling off on ice are ccm, not sure if it's true or not

sydneyskateshop.com.au/hockey/new-skates/bauer-supreme-150-skates.html

what about these? I really can't afford anything higher end just for casual skating but I can't do hire skates anymore.

realize how hockey skates are fitted so you can go and stop in any direction with them on

most speed skating is just forward and turn left

>most speed skating is just forward and turn left
*all speed skating is forward and turning.

going backwards on speeds is a really bad idea.

OP here

Fair enough, what about if I wanted to spend $200 to $250? What would I be looking for then? Any recommendations?

I'll see what's in town, I live in NC which isn't a big hockey state so my local resources are limited. I might try to go with the S170s though. I bought a fake penny board a year ago and rolled my ankle really bad because of it. I would gladly pay an extra $100 to avoid that again.

Is this a must have for skates?

>Is this a must have for skates?

when you sharpen skates, you take a bit off every time

after 50-100 sharpenings there's nothing left, and a removable blade means you just buy a new one for $50, instead of having to pay an additional cost to refit the blade

I like my 170s, but if the 160s are much cheaper they're ok too

S170s are looking pretty good right now. Do you think they will last a while? I have no problem paying extra if I know they should last for year's.

other than the skate blade and regular wear and tear the only thing that can really damage skates is taking slap shots to them

don't know what hockey is like in NC but you probably wont be blocking too many of those soon

no reason they wont last 5-10 years

Hire skate aftermath

bad size or soft cunt. take your pic.

I copped some used CCM Tacks for 40 bucks a few years ago. They've paid for themselves several times over in skipped rental fees. Tacks hold up really well as far as I can tell.

throw some duct tape over that user

Just upgraded from Bauer X60s to Bauer Supreme 180s.

Skates/stick/helmet are your most important weapons and a solid pair of gloves not only sells your dangle ability but also decides how naturally you'll feel the stick.

IMO for entry level depeding on footsize and what position you like go for a pair of supremes or ccm tacks. Tacks are more of a defensemans skate traditionally.

I dont remember my first pair but looking back to age 13-14 it was tacks and then a pair of Reebok 9ks with the pump.

I tore some major ligaments in one of my knees when i was a teenager. Should i take up skating if my knee still feels somewhat loose/weak

Remember faggot, 1.5 US sizes smaller than your regular shoe size

Yeah, If anything you'll end strengthening your thigh muscles and making it better in the long run

Nothing wrong with getting a cheap pair of skates to start with imo. Do you have a wide foot? If so, I'd recommend Bauer Supreme as they have a wider foot, and if not then I'd go with Vapors. If you like skating though, I definitely recommend getting a mid/high tier skate. Getting them when they're on clearance is a good idea as well.

cycling would probably be the lowest impact method if you want to work on leg strength and what not.

Knowing I won't be able to try them on before I get them, should I get the slightly cheaper S160's as a starter pair and expect to get a new one in a year or two or should I get the S170's and hang on to them for a few years?

do not buy without fitting first

I should go to bed

I'd see a physiotherapist first. He'll show you some exercises that build up muscle and then he'll work on stability and coordination.

If you don't want to pay a physio, get on a bike and train your quadriceps and hamstrings. Then do some jumping and balance exercises on a trampoline.