Is this the first example of the kind of pointless...

Is this the first example of the kind of pointless, forced celebrity cameo that would become a staple of The Simpsons going forward? They had nothing to do with the plot, and were shoehorned in for one unfunny 'skit' which went nowhere, each being given arbitrary lines and nothing to actually do. Whilst in the same episode, you had Steve Martin playing an actual relevant character, which is how they used to do it.

(Trash of the Titans, if anyone needs their memory jogged)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Simpsons_guest_stars
youtube.com/watch?v=uOfljXHXFjg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is this before or after REM?

I'm 90% certain it was before, this is a season 9 episode and I've only seen the REM one once, so I assume it must be later.

>implying one of the funniest moments didn't come from this episode

How am I implying that? Wacky resolution and forced U2 cameo aside, this is a solid ep. But it's also one where, when you watch it back, the cracks are starting to show.

I agree. And why did they put the members of U2 in retarded costumes (

I assume because they literally wear them, or at least used to

The Simpsons always had pointless, forced celebrity cameos

They didn't though, that's my point. They used to bring in guest stars to play a role, which would be a natural part of the episode's plot (most obvious example is Albert Brooks as Scorpio, but there are plenty to choose from). On the few occasions when they would have celebrities playing themselves, it would be well-executed and appropriate (Tom Jones, for example). Nowadays, they just wheel out the flavour of the month and give them some pointless dialogue so they can tick the 'celebrity cameo' box.

Huh I never pegged U2 as that kind of band

I thought U2 were great
>he'll get the help he deserves
>homer on big screen getting beaten up

That's really the level of humour required to amuse you? I know a website you might like

>thinks U2 are good
>thinks people getting beaten up is funny

You should avoid said website because shit threads like this won't even get noticed there.

Trash of the Titans is bad yo. Neither the comedy nor the writing in general works. It's like a checklist for bad Simpsons:
>Homer gets a new job
>celebrities play themselves and aren't integrated into the plot
>Homer gets hurt but there's no joke to go with it
>wacky ending where the entire city is buried by literal geysirs of garbage and is rebuilt in another location

I definitely agree about the wacky ending. Up until then I quite like the plot, but it seemed like they just decided to hit the reset button at the end instead of properly resolving it. What I'd call 'transitional' Simpsons.

Yeah but the big difference between it and later episodes is that the jokes are actually funny

but they did you liked the show back then so you were ok with it

Not only is this inaccurate, I've already explained how, in detail. You're going to need to actually refute my points, with evidence, because I think I did a pretty good job of pointing out the differences between earlier/later celebrity guest roles.

The closest you could come to a "forced" cameo in early Simpsons is Paul McCartney, and even then he still has relevance to Lisa's arc, with a decent punchline on his scene.

Steve Martin doesn't play himself

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Simpsons_guest_stars
here yo go sort it by roles pretty much every single one as himself or herself was a pointless cameo that had nothing to do with the plot

...you didn't read anything I wrote, did you?

Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger and that other stupid nobody in that shit episode was the beginning of the end.

I remember that one, but was it before or after U2?

The episode where Mel Gibson plays himself is gold.

you said the Simpson didn't used to have pointless celebebrity cameos which they have since the begining

Did Leonard nemoy play a role in the monorail episode? I don't think so, and I bet there are at least a handful of episodes from around that time with random guest star appearances

Yeah, the same with Aerosmith, Conan O Brien, George Harrison, all those baseball players, etc. Not every celebrity appearance is forced and pointless, but as the show progresses it seems like more and more of them are.

Worst golden age(seasons 1-10) simpsons episode incoming

That wasn't Nimoy, that was Spock posing as Nimoy on an away mission to save the monorail for reasons unknown.

He did, and it was worked into the plot and funny. It wasn't forced and pointless.

I...I really don't know how to make myself any clearer. I'm amazed by your inability to grasp a really quite simple concept.

Everything the Simpsons does as it progresses gets worse. I can't think of one thing that's better about the show now.

How was nimoy important to the plot?

>seasons 9-10
>Golden Age
LOL

Eh, I guess he wasn't crucial, but he wasn't contrived either, and the plot didn't stop or go out of its way to accommodate him. Plus it was, you know, funny.

Was going to make a seperate thread but I guess this will do.

While going through classic Simpsons this episode felt weird. The whole premise of the episode is for them to ethically choose the film which they believe is the best but the conclusion ends with Homer being forced to change his mind because he was told. Is this some clever, deep message that Im missing or is the story accidentally hypocritical?

>You didnt do anything
>Didnt I?

They made the point of him being pointless as a joke.

It's the only episode Matt Groening won't put his name on. Which seemed admirable at the time, but makes him look hypocritical with the shit he's peddling now.

I loved that episode, and the critic was criminally underated. Gone too soon. Not sure what the point was, other than just being a crossover.

Just a reason to have Jon Lovitz guest voice another character.

Season 9 is classic

Season 10 is not

Who was he before?

Artie Ziff and the drama guy that puts on Streetcar

all these guys

How the fuck did I never connect those two voices before

youtube.com/watch?v=uOfljXHXFjg

best celebrity cameo

obviously

mike scully was fully in charge by this point

nah there was a season 4 episode where they had a bunch of celebs on to save Krusty's show. Bette middler and the red hot chili peppers come to mind

That's not contrived though, that's a perfectly valid reason to have them on and they were all relevant to the plot. You might as well say the softball episode cameos were pointless.