What's even the point of discussing music and "good taste"? It just all boils down to personal feelings...

What's even the point of discussing music and "good taste"? It just all boils down to personal feelings. Either you like these sounds or you don't. You can try to bring in music theory and "originality" and stuff, but that doesn't change the fact then in the end it's just about personal enjoyment.

Other urls found in this thread:

guaciara.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/cardew_stockhausen.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>It just all boils down to personal feelings

It doesn't

guaciara.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/cardew_stockhausen.pdf

/website

I agree though, it is fucking annoying.

t. Plebs

Don't worry about all the autistic stuff. It just gets in the way and muddles everything.

Like I said before, in the end, you're just a person who sits down, listens to a song, and if you like it you like it, and if you don't you don't. That's it.

We all have to prove we're superior to one another, user

, k

>music is a library recorded songs intended for consumption

This is where you're confused.

this is the most Sup Forums thread of all time

>hey we all like music lets be friends
>fuck you i'm better at liking things than you faggot!! REEEEEE

Yeah basically it's about discussing based on your taste and finding new music you'll like more easily

just ignore the hateful comments and try to be nice

The more you listen to music the more objective you become about it. Unless you believe in God or magic, there is an objectivity to everything even when there is more than one good answer. We're all humans and we all get moved by similar musical cues. Anybody can tell if a song is sad or happy just by listening to it. I think discussing about music helps interpreting what you are listening to. Maybe you didn't pick up something the first time you listened to a song and some other user will tell you about it therefore you know more about it and are able to make a better judgement of that piece.

What I think people hate is how hostile people are. But it's Sup Forums, it's the tradition here. Move to another website if you take anything here to heart.

this, OP is a surface level pleb

If this is true, then why do some people love experimental bands and others hate them? ex. Death Grips

I was wondering this too. If your answer is that experimental music is bad then I'll be forced to disregard your opinion

Who the fuck knows. Probably because it's aggressive and ''normal'' people feel like it's an attack on them, not them attacking others. That's why scrawny little kids like hard music (I'm one of those). It's because you feel powerful listening to it. I'm not saying I have all the answers but I'm pretty deterministic and I feel like there is objectivity in everything if you are able to measure it. Right now music appreciation vs quality isn't quantifiable because lots of bands go under the radar and others are pushed in the mainstream by PR teams.

>It just all boils down to personal feelings.

Exactly. I like to share my feelings and understand the feelings of others. I also enjoy music history, music news, discovering new music, and even the occasional music meme. Music is subjective, it's always up for debate, and I want in on the argument.

fags

Still, there is a limited variety of feelings a human can feel. What if an artist tries to convey the feeling of love but it comes out as scary because he is not a skillful musician? It's an objective mistake isn't it? I'm not saying you can't appreciate the piece but be aware that it wasn't made by the hand of someone who doesn't know what he is doing.

because what that guy said is bullshit. music is subjective, ignore the autists

Man, people really hate discussing.

Best answer itt. Boiling it down to "it's all about each ones feelings, there's no point" is counter-productive and leads to nothing, just complacency and conformism. On the other hand, the more objective you get, the deeper you can go when discussing things, which leads to constructive discussion (something this board seriously needs).

How come when you listen more times to something you didn't like, you start to like it?
In general your statement is so incomplete and narrow scoped - it shows you put no thought into that post. Kys promptly.

forgot to add
>might
>you might start to like it
For me this happened with some prog rock

Because I like to have discussions with people about what music they like/don't like and *why*. Especially if their views and opinions do not necessarily align with mine. Just because it often comes down to personal preferences does not negate the value (and fun) in having these discussions and debates with people in the first place.
I don't think this is a particularly hard concept to grasp.

The bigger problem I have isn't that talking about music is inherently pointless, rather that many people do not seem to be great about articulating their feelings and thoughts about music.

We then argue amongst are selves, is this good music? Is it even music? Is it original music, and if so, what makes it original? What/who influenced this musician? There are things that lean more towards objective, like structure, rhythm, and other aspects. But ultimately it's all subjective. A new song could come out tomorrow that breaks all the rules and shatters our understanding of music, but that doesn't mean it's bad, and that's at the center of the debate.

As for feelings, yes we are limited, but the tone of a song can capture those feelings that words can't quite describe. Feelings are abstract, but I like talking about them.

as I said, all about finding new music. discussing, sure, but no amount of discussing is going to change my opinion on a song. I'd be happy to explain why, but I can disagree with someone and we will still both be right.

>The bigger problem I have isn't that talking about music is inherently pointless, rather that many people do not seem to be great about articulating their feelings and thoughts about music.

Sorry for the double post but this is another great point. "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." It's difficult to do, but I like the challenge, and sometimes a three word post can sum up someones feelings about an album perfectly. Frankly I'd rather read anonymous shit posting than music journalism