youtube.com/watch?v=4fk2prKnYnI
youtube.com/watch?v=pdJU-pxscmc
youtube.com/watch?v=_YpfzmAQvoc
youtube.com/watch?v=O1yC7WPDhsM
youtube.com/watch?v=pZNOPJsB7H4
youtube.com/watch?v=El9GSoOvcD4
youtube.com/watch?v=8LeQN249Jqw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Technique doesn't matter as much as creativity does. There are a lot of very talented musicians who couldn't write an interesting part if their life depended on it.

>Playing with soul & passion doesn't matter
>Technique does

the black keys are garbage

honestly, fedora fags are the ones who rave about technique
all dumb fuck dream theater fans

it should be switched

Alright mu
What's the consensus
Which is better : playing really well with a complex melody/rhythm or playing just alright with a simple composition that sounds good.
Or both

creativity
/thread

idk fag, go back to reddid asshole and underage

creativity, unless a complex rhythm just inherently sounds good to you, which is just subjective at that point

creativity over everything idgaf at how fast u can play, if ur a joe satriani fan u can suck my tiny dick

I am not too interested in the instrumental technique. I am more interested in emotion than in technique. Traditionally, jazz has been associated with technique (an odd mis-interpretation of the original spirit of Afro-american music by white intellectuals). I do not enjoy listening to music for the sake of a brilliant solo. That solo has to deliver emotion. If it is technically breathtaking but does not deliver any emotion, that musician is not very interesting to me. There is a difference, in my opinion, between a juggler and an artist. If the playing is barely passable, but it delivers a lot of emotion, that musician is a genius.

>If the playing is barely passable, but it delivers a lot of emotion, that musician is a genius.

I'd like to hear some examples. I'm interested.

Not him, but the most obvious example would be B.B. King.
youtube.com/watch?v=4fk2prKnYnI
youtube.com/watch?v=pdJU-pxscmc

I mean, people are literally crying. David Gilmour, Robert Wyatt, Andrew Latimer are something else too:
youtube.com/watch?v=_YpfzmAQvoc
youtube.com/watch?v=O1yC7WPDhsM
youtube.com/watch?v=pZNOPJsB7H4
youtube.com/watch?v=El9GSoOvcD4

Sigur Ros:
youtube.com/watch?v=8LeQN249Jqw

A lot of people confuse technical ability and emotional playing. I've gotten more emotion out of and Randy Rhoades shred fest than any indie guitar solo covered in fuzz and reverb. I'm not really a metal or shred stuff though, but I find that a lot of people write off technical playing as unemotional because they can't hear the emotion in it

Plus, not all soloing has to solely exist for muh feels.

IE Joshua Homme who uses solos as a parody of the shitty rock he grew up with a la Kiss and cock rock

>someone watched the josh homme guitar moves video and honestly thinks this

>not realizing that fusion of technique and passion is obviously what makes good music
autism-spectrum style thinking - creating mutual exclusivity where it doesn't exist

That's objectively true and Miles Davis proves it. Technically speaking, the guy couldn't play horn to save his life.

Neckbeards are the ones who preach "only technicality and complexity matter, brainlets" while listening to Dream Theater.

Its half true. One example of one outlier in one style of music doesn't apply to all of it.

>Technique doesn't matter
False
>Playing with soul & passion does
True

sometimes its impossible to play with would cause without a certain level of sill you wouldnt be able to express yourself properly

>is he retarded?
>no, he's playing, WITH PASSION

Only one of the options necessarily sounds good, so that one.

Neckbeards are a blank projection that can be attached any ideology ever. Get with the program

He's exaggerating when he says that every single one of his solos is like this, but in some of his songs he does comes up with some ridiculous mélodies, like "feel good hit" or "smooth sailing".

How is that a fedora opinion? That's more something a music teacher would say for encouragement.

Fedoras only care about technique.