twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>1000+ years of classical
are you retarded?

?

>1900: Music started
Don't forget. ;-)

>It was ever called classical music
>It was ever called folk music

Yes, what you're referring to was less a style of music, and more of a marketing strategy. Hip-hop was a more fine-tuned version of said strategy. We're almost out of this mess.

>>rock died in under 50
epic meme

>etymology
What they called it in 650AD is irrelevant

1955 - 2005

That's being generous

Classical music as we know it today only began in the 15th century with the baroque period. Before that time most everything was stuff like Gregorian chant or other church music, at least in Europe.

>irrelevant
Kill yourself

>all music made prior to an arbitrary date is folk

Check out these two dope folk songs:
youtu.be/QpxN2VXPMLc
youtu.be/PA4xMqKJI4c

I wish American IPs were rangebanned

It's commonly accepted classical music started in 450AD with medieval music.

>X genre is no longer popular in the mainstream therefore it is dead

Yes

>The original application of the term "popular music" is to music of the 1880sTin Pan Alleyperiod in the United States.[1]

>rock isn't dead, it just went underground \../

>The mainstream ever existed

Yeah but thats all Gregorian chant type stuff and lots of old school instruments like the krumhorn, totally different from the kind of classical people listen to today. I think you would have a very hard time finding people who really appreciate that stuff.

Like the X-Files, they made a new season but they really should have left it dead.

So what if plebs can't into chants, still considered classical music.

>The original application of the term "popular music" is to music of the 1880sTin Pan Alleyperiod in the United States.[1]
>Still not thinking "pop music" is literally a Jewish meme

you cant change history just because people don't like it anymore.
it might not be what you think of as classical in your head but its classical music.
thats like hearing old old 1800s shitty folk and being like 'thats not what folk really is, jackson c frank and nick drake are like, what people think of as folk,'

Top 3 current artists from

Big beat
Big band
Motown soul

Go!

subgenres of classical changed that often too

nobody who has ever studied music history calls pre-modern music "classical", you are talking out of your ass.

Partially.
Sup Forums thinks genres are the sections that used to be at Tower Records. In truth, genres are what kind of piece the individual work is. But, good luck convincing anybody that 'muh faborit jonruh' is something that doesn't exist and that they're living a lie.

I mean comparing rock to the immense range of musical styles and genres you are talking about is pretty absurd. I get what you're saying tho

not all music prior to that date is similar enough in composition to be classified as a single genre called "folk"

A genre isn't dead until people stop making it.

This

if you're too autistic to understand that "folk" can have a different meaning depending on the context, I'm not going to waste time arguing with you

>80 years if electronic music
What's your favorite electronic album from 1937?

Explain how that isn't true for folk, classical, and jazz.

yes but it was a good fad

>80 years of electronic music
More like 65-70, unless you think playing an ondes martenot or a theremin equals making electronic music

How long do you think hip-hop will last?

>4 billion years of field recording
Everything you just listed is a fad

this

people who disagree have never taken a music history class

Those aren't genres and I'm not letting it go

depends on how good the next Kanye album will be

Lol, it's still popular with kids today, get fucked OP

the fuck you getting these lengths of time from?

Ignoring the fact that you compressed about 30 years of progression into one segment, none of these fucking things are matching up.

worst part about this bait is that jazz has been dead for over 30 years, easily

this. when kanye dies hip hop dies

>"rock is dead"
>still more mainstream than nearly every genre you listed

But we were talking about rock, why shift the goal posts to genres I don't follow? Great debate tactic I guess.

Look at those goalposts move by themselves!

This, even for bait OP took the "le rock is dead" low hanging fruit

Out of his ass obviously

Also:
Name one fucking record that can be classified as electronic during the 30s. C'mon

wow this is actually the guy who posted that youtube comment kek

>Name one fucking record that can be classified as electronic during the 30s. C'mon
youtube.com/watch?v=nrYgm5MML58
>electronic
>record
>argument
It's a beautiful piece so i'm posting it anyway, so fuck you

he's pointing at... you know what never fucking mind

1910 asshole

SOMEONE THAT ACTIVELY DESPISES YOU

>it's still popular with kids today

Proof?

I don't really pay attention that much to the new music coming out but which new rock bands are getting very popular with kids today?

Most of those genres came out of a generation that didnt require constant stimulation. With the birth of counterculture and its constantly changing tastes, we see different genres come and go with the times.

>10,000+ years of folk

you should go be generous to the world and kill yourself

>do u even Snarky Puppy

high school kids love mac demarco

>rap could last another thousand years

>not 10,000

its pretty trash desu

>100 years of Jazz

what?

That's one of the few things OP has even sort of right.

>10,000+ years of folk
What the FUCK are you talking about
Yeah who doesn't love those 1017 symphonies
>100 years of jazz
Sort of right
>80 years of r&b/funk/soul/pbr&b
LOL
Embarrassingly wrong
>rock died in under 50
No it didn't you dumb fuck

You are not a musician.

sticks on rocks is folk, right guys???

No, but "modern classical" was

but early modern Classical music is closer to secular medieval music(i.e the high medieval "folk") than "muh classical gregorian chant"

I mean is Greensleeves or Sumer Is Icumun In "folk" or "classical" in your retarded 1910: Music Started definitions?

This bourgeoisie fetishism of "art" is absurd. Any and all "art" created in the modern age can only ever be a fad because of its lack of a transcendent principle. Every creative effort will only ever be "content'' with no objective value, merely subjective value to a consumer determined by aggregated personal experience and current cultural trends. Arguably even art from past ages has been retroactively tainted into being merely consumable content.

and?

Haha ssex me bby

Ahh back when electronic music tried to sound like intruments, so not really electronic music as a genre

This makes you stupid and uncultured. walk the walk faggot

nice logic

Where am I wrong? How does learning and playing an instrument and music reading, theory, production, etc not make you more knowledgeable, cultured, and appreciative of music as a whole, especially acts which are otherwise difficult to recognize as possessing a lot of talent and technical skill?

Would someone who really likes cars but knows nothing about how they work be considered cultured and smart in those circles? no you bitch. learn something

I never said it didn't make you more cultured etc.
But you don't have play an instrument to think music is good or bad.

>I wasn't totally wrong bc I never said X so that means I win
Just stop making excuses to me and yourself and learn an instrument already

>putting words in my mouth
anyway I have been learning guitar the past few weeks. Wish i'd chosen piano instead tho

I enjoyed this post

theres no denying that someone who plays an instrument etc experiences music differently to someone who doesnt

but whether thats a good thing or not is pretty subjective. on one hand i can appreciate technical playing a lot more, on the other hand it spoils the magic a bit. but then creates a different kind of magic. sorry if this is retarded im really high

No you are right. This is also true for any other form of entertainment or art

Jazz died in the 70s though

30 years

Don't. Piano is much harder to pick up and takes a lot longer to play at a proficient (ie, just grooving and making it up as you go along) level. Guitar is a good entry level instrument. I also recommend drums, but like piano, the instrument is expensive.

I'm really just interested in playing classical music which the electric guitar isn't good for.

classical music is dead
jazz is dead
rock is dead

alive doesn't just mean "people play and listen to it" it means "there is a significant group of people still creating and exploring the genre"

Kek. Its already 40+ years dumbass.
Hip-Hop is only 20 years younger than Rock.

Classical guitar can be played on any type of guitar, amp =/= distortion yk. Many, many artists use acoustic electrics. Granted, this is different because of the pickups' position on the inside of an acoustic body, but that doesn't really make much of a difference to someone learning chord progressions and scales.

Also, wtf are you doing learn like, violin or upright bass or something if you wanna play a stringed classical instrument

I was going through a classic rock phase

And in the past few weeks it ended suddenly and you moved onto classical? You need to get your shit straightened out

Stick with it and you will not regret it. My drums teacher use to tell me learning an instrument is like stacking pieces of paper; at first the stack is very small and it seems like no matter how much you work it never increases noticeably.. until after a long time of doing the same thing, your stack is considerably high.

the classical period was a full millenium eh?

>millenium
>1000 years
you are stupid

>10,000+ years of folk

Earth is only 6,000 years old.

but how can there be enough water for everyone if we drinked 6000 years worth already and our eyse arent real

the highschool i graduated from last year had a big music scene with like 3+ bands

I went to HS with these dudes
youtube.com/watch?v=JPUMbzNkYL0

nigga rock barely got away around the time of the doors, it didnt even have time to get fully erect