IDM

Let's talk about it

Also, was this disappointing, or not? It's not the best Squarepusher, but I'm starting to reconsider how I used to think of it as EDM-like IDM-lite.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YylG5Ls2u9w
youtube.com/watch?v=G8df466Gl6M
youtube.com/watch?v=wSDxw7EFRsQ
youtube.com/watch?v=6p99nzMl9C4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's not EDM Lite it's a lot more complex than most EDM. The production on it is what bothers me the most. It's so blown out and loud that it's exhausting to listen to.

Any Access to Arasaka fans here?
youtube.com/watch?v=YylG5Ls2u9w
youtube.com/watch?v=G8df466Gl6M
youtube.com/watch?v=wSDxw7EFRsQ

Not EDM-lite, EDM-like

It's obviously not EDM-lite, I played it for some friends of mine once who listen to EDM and they couldn't get into it at all.

I'd agree with saying it's EDM-like, but it seems natural for Squarepusher to be drawing from the contemporary dance music climate like he did with his jungle-like tracks. He's putting his own spin on things but there's a sort of production grammar being used.

Seeing it live gave it a lot more heft, to be honest.

>unironically using "EDM"

>not "IDM"

Isn't it similar to the one before that - Ufabulum

I don't know about this one but the last 2 minutes or so of this track:
youtube.com/watch?v=6p99nzMl9C4

Are like holy shit dude

Squarepusher past Ultravisitor is absolute trash.

Ufabulum was alright.

It's not his best but it's a lot better than Ufabulum. Kwang Bass is probably the highlight for me.

I wouldn't say it's absolute trash, but Ultravisitor is a high point in IDM, or just albums in general. It's really good, extremely well crafted, and well made. I don't really listen to it a lot, I don't necessarily get a lot of joy out of it, and I don't care for the bass guitar pieces in terms of pleasure, but it's technical and emotional, extremely meticulous and done to a bombastic degree, in a good way. I can respect that, appreciate it as art.

It was a lot better than his Shobaleader One output and was more memorable than Ufabulum, which made me quite happy.

>IDM
l m a o

IDM IS NOT A GENRE STOP SAYING IDM IS A GENRE

"Scene" then, I never understood why people get so worked up by the IDM name.

INTELLIGENT

NO
STOP IT

idk because it all sounds different
like BoC and Squarepusher being the same genre? really?

DANCE

Have you heard the expression "umbrella genre"? Also not all bands inside a genre label sound similar, think of all the different kinds of post-punk or post-rock that you can have. They're all obviously associated acts with a music scene of the 90s and early 00s.

to me 'electronic' is an umbrella genre, or 'techno', but not IDM which is really narrow and to most people is just a synonym for 'bands on warp'

but yeah i get that it's supposed to be a scene, although i don't think it really was even much of a scene, and no one in the scene ever used the term IDM (i guess it's a bit like krautrock in that respect)

>and no one in the scene ever used the term IDM (i guess it's a bit like krautrock in that respect)
Or minimal synth that was also named in retrospect. There's a big picture that encompasses them all, even if they were not aware.
And yeah I get your point but most of the time it's because people haven't branched from the top Warp acts yet. A lot of the so-called IDM artists outside of Warp share some characteristics or time period with the more known acts.

i think, with a few exceptions, most non-warp-IDM was usually related to one or more of the warp artists, and the warp artists for the most part each had their own distinctive styles
so yeah a genre kind of grew out of that, but it was all in retrospect
and for like the first 6 or 7 years the IDM list was the only place anyone used the term IDM, it only really became a genre name later after all the second wave jumped on it, and it was them who used it to describe and associate with the warp stuff