/daily/ - jpg edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zwG97ah0mEU
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-united-states-of-america/the-united-states-of-america/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/glenn-branca/the-ascension-6/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_birthday_party/live_1981_82/
youtu.be/1y7G1Jig7Jk
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/asa_chang_and_junray/みんなのジュンレイ__minna_no_junray_/
rateyourmusic.com/list/aoa/japanese_eccentric_folk/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/かえる目/拝借__haisyaku_/
youtube.com/watch?v=x1_zx7ksjv0
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/渚にて/渚にて-on-the-love-beach/
strawpoll.me/13175683
soundcloud.com/platform/finn-diesel
soundcloud.com/clubrepz/cotton-eyed-gf-j-o-e-ty
jacobhutto.bandcamp.com/album/wheres-the-humanity
soundcloud.com/novembre-magazine/gold-of-nightfall
meltytapes.bandcamp.com/album/life-escaper-trial-edition
youtube.com/watch?v=vH0XJiqmzV0
youtube.com/watch?v=01-M-BXT1-Y&list=PLTj-JRNB9VKye8zzW1gfL7IqZ2tY_06MH
negativeplus.bandcamp.com/album/northland
youtube.com/watch?v=l1vmrMAqeWM
youtube.com/watch?v=HWBFp5vDUBM&t
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

MAMA LOI
PAPA LOI
I SEE ARTIFACTS IN THE DEAD MAN'S EYE

>implying that I was actually going to sleep
juked

===Novelty vs Trans===

>Armand Schaubroeck Steals - Ratfucker
>Art Punk, Spoken Word

Punished Lou Reed clone sings about stories from his time in prison, with funky background choruses and he likes to say fuck a lot

A good portion of this is laughable, but it's still an intriguing look into the mind of someone who went through a lot of shit in the 1950's. There are actual moments where it goes from sounding like a white dad trying to be cool, to someone disillusioned with themselves and their current place back in society.

6/10

>The Algorithm - Polymorphic Code
>Djent + chiptune + all popular internet genres within the 2000's

The biggest electronic influence on this album seems to be dubstep and modern House. One could easily call this whole album "video game music"-- and it really is.

Some people enjoyed how each song felt dynamic-- you don't know where it was going to next, what branching genres it would take after an initial setup, metal chord chorus... from there, the music draws wild cards. It's the perfect base for some Newgrounds animated music video.

Too bad it doesn't always make for interesting songs. The jarring dub interlude, hardcore passage, spoken word, and particularly bad samples (Elysia Crampton/Jlin kind of bad) on Access Granted makes for the worse track. The track Null is about a runtime error in Java, where you refer to a variable that doesn't exist and the program terminates itself. But beyond the name, there's no actual depth to the Computer Science reference. Panic is a progressive house (blegh) track, for the majority of the song, until they lost the 4/4 beats for their now familiar drop.

I think there may be some way to rework this to be less tacky. The dubstep and House production itself holds back a lot of the songs, simply for their outdated sound. And speaking of outdated, check out their music video for Trojans:

youtube.com/watch?v=zwG97ah0mEU

5/10

===s vs torts===
>Masada - Live in Sevilla 2000
>Avant Garde Jazz

I'm beginning to like John Zorn quite a lot. His Book of Angels series, his huge discography pulling from chamber compositions or Jewish Jazz, his extensive work with DOZENS of other artists and performing groups-- I think this guy needs some more attention.

That said, this is a wonderful groovy album, influenced by the music of the Ashkenazi Jews. It isn't the most rhythmically engaging, but Zorn's saxophone surprised me in its competency, and how many sounds he could bring out of it ala Colin Stetson style.

Nice audience, too.

7/10

>Rolf Kuhn Jazzgroup - Devil in Paradise
>Avant-garde Jazz

Much more experimental than Live in Sevilla, but not as appealing. I can't put my finger on why I dislike the closing track, Clowny-- maybe because of how far its sound is from Jazz itself, so it doesn't really feel like avant-garde jazz, but some Noise Rock band's practice before a gig.

7-/10

===Letov vs. Woolite===

>Jim O'Rouke - Fast Car (Live in Japan)
>jim sings with guitar and also drone

Much less hokey than Eureka can be. The combination of O'Rouke's guitar, the small shakers in the background, the low fidelity of the recording, the pinpricks of drone shining from underneath the repeated passage, are all quite gorgeous as a package.

And the context of the recording is also funny, seeing what Letov posted in the comment section. It seems O'Rouke is able to make his music best when EVERYONE around him is upset, not just him.

8/10

>Grant Green - Feelin' The Spirit
>Soul Jazz

Spirituals played in jazz. Green on guitar, Herbie on the piano, some nobody on the bass, some guy on the drums.

Maybe if I didn't recognize some of these tracks, like the Battle of Jericho, or Go Down Moses, there wouldn't be preconceptions to how these tracks play out. Still very consistent, of course, but not quite an 8 for me.

As an aside, this is what, the third album I've heard with Herbie in it? I feel like his piano playing is so unremarkable when he isn't the main focus. Maybe he's just too modest, too good at blending into the background while Green is sitting in center stage here.

pls recc really good herbie album that isn't head hunters

7/10

===shamepai vs FISH===

>Steel an' Skin - Reggae Is Here Once Again
>Reggae, Disco, Afrobeat, Dub

Went into this expecting shit but that first track is groovy as fuck

Having heard little Disco OR Reggae, this compilation was fun. Steel drums and calling voices, with the tight drums and bass of Disco? The first single here is too much fun, and the rest of the album holds up its own pretty well. Acid Rain actually has a jazz organ I don't hate.

7/10

>Mothers of Invention - Freak Out!
>zappa

I think a comment I read sums up my actual emotions. The compositions are convoluted, and the melodies are a bit more rock/pop focused than their next works. Because of that, it's a bit clearer that Zappa is, after all, producing parody in the album. Most obviously on tracks with titles like Go Cry on Somebody Else's Shoulder or Wowie Zowie, and mocking popular bands of the time Motherly Love and You Didn't Try To Call Me.

I guess I'm just not as impressed at the eccentricity of Zappa's works. The foundations of Uncle Meat are present, and it's clear that the group will grow to produce better than just mocking. Admittedly, this isn't something I'd want to relisten to, either.

Trouble Every Day caught my ear with its lyrics, of a man simply languidly watching the protests of people on TV: "And I'm watchin' and I'm waitin' / Hopin' for the best / Even think I'll go to prayin'..." I can't help but compare this to the themes of Everything Everything. While Zappa's group passively shows this problem, EE are much more direct about this kind of issue. (Yeah yeah comparing Zappa to a pop rock electronic group is retarded)

6/10

===unnamed trip vs Jangle===

>V/A - Golden Rain
>Gamelan Gong Kebjar

The A-Side was recorded by a 25-piece orchestra, but this isn't typical "gamelan" music. Normally, Gamelan, an Indonesian style of music emphasizing gongs, chimes, and percussion, would sound like the slow portions of Track 2 on this. And there'd be some woman singing.

"kebjar", however, means "burst into flame."

Whilst the first two tracks are incredible on their own, The Ramayana Monkey Chant is almost frightening. Dozens of human voices fly between each other, like an angry manifestation a monkey god. Foreign voices speak alone against the apparition, often not sounding human themselves. In silence, the night sounds of insects and wind are audible.

This is a collection of just three tracks, each as intense as the last. This is the collective compositions of a hundred UK Bass, grime, footwork producers, their fleet-footed and reserved tracks alike, mangled into a grinder, and fucked into its original, archaic form.

8/10

>Sun Ra - Black Myth
>it's free jazz

It's going to take a while for me to fully appreciate synth improv, whoof. Otherwise, this was surprisingly boring for Sun Ra. I appreciate the chaos that comes from the saxaphone's wailing, how it even manages to pierce the upper octaves and sound like a broken TV. I like the frightened bass plucks, the absolutely frantic violin, the oboe that feels like a voice trying to converse into my right ear. The spoken word that summons imagery of being lost in some place like space, but not quite Space.

The Black Myth side of this album had my eyes drooping, but Out In Space is quite tasty. In the end, this is another group that performs visually as they play, so for an incomplete package I don't mind giving out this score.

6/10

==============================================
NoveltyCondom, s, Letov, shamepai, and unnamed trip stay in! Give reccs now or be ELIMINATED
==============================================

Great chart so far!

Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley, Rosemary and Thyme
>Folk

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for, thanks Jim.

Out of the Simon & Garfunkel releases I’ve heard, this might be the worst from a songwriting and composition perspective. However, the whole album has a very mellow, tranquil feel, with barely a moment of aggression or toughness. It’d be easy to criticize this for being sappy or as one RYM put it with “not a testicle to be found” but these guys obviously have some serious skills. All the songs are all emotional and nostalgic, from the opener “Scarborough Fair” which happens to be one of my favorites from them. The melodies are all super catchy and stuck with me although the tracks are all under 3 minutes. The entire album is under 30 but the songs manage to pack some sort of emotional punch in that short time. Plus “A Simple Desultory Phillipic” is a hilarious track, as Paul Simon puts on his best Bob Dylan spoof, throwing together some harmonica work and abstract lyrics. It’s also pretty catchy too.

Far from the ambitious album they ever made - like Nat said, they basically improve every album. The lyrics also occasionally come off as too light and hippie-dippie but that’s not something I usually mind. Fantastic, especially for a simple little folk album.

4/5

25,000 Kittens - S/t (EP)
>Ambient, Drone

This sort of peaceful music is exactly what I was looking for when I made this chart. Blissful, peaceful and very subtle. Not much happens over the course of this album as you’d expect but the atmosphere is gorgeous and warm. The cat noises pop up in the background briefly during the first track “Boo” and it works surprisingly well. Feels a bit gimmicky but it only stays for about a minute or so which is kind of the perfect amount of time. Adds kind of a soothing touch to an already relaxing EP. Very solid stuff.

hmm
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-united-states-of-america/the-united-states-of-america/

Heart Food is the most comfortable album in all of the universe btw, in case you were wondering.

>I feel like his piano playing is so unremarkable when he isn't the main focus. Maybe he's just too modest, too good at blending into the background

Maaan, I'm the complete opposite. Herbie's my favorite part of that album and consistently one of my sidemen in jazz. Half the time I enjoy piano on a 60s album I check the lineup and go "of course it's Herbie again".

I don't think that album is as strong without him. He adds these nice little soulful touches and riffs on the album that just pop out. Honestly one of my favorite performances by him, aside from Maiden Voyage and Head Hunters.

Anyway, maybe he isn't your style or piano isn't your instrument. Glad you at least liked the album though!

>Billy Higgins
>some guy

I will be checking that out next then! Looks like a super comfy album by the cover. Currently checking out the Sam Prekop album from a past listenalong but I'll throw Heart Food on tomorrow's to do list

i recognize i look like a tool for dumping huge tourney reviews to start out the thread

NEED RECCS FROM:

ricebeansegg
shamepai
post-feelist
jimmy jazz
imposter tuco
NoveltyCondom
s
Unnamed Trip

If a trip doesn't recc in time, and I get through Round 2 albums, I'll open spots for other trips to hijack.

Prizes, btw:

1ST PLACE: 25 album drone
2ND PLACE: 16 album drone
3RD PLACE: 10 album drone

I feel like Mono No Aware shouldn't be on this chart, but we'll see.

>Maiden Voyage
Should I try this album? I mean the guy is obviously a virtuoso at piano, he was playing since what, 11? But maybe I'll appreciate him more in the lead rather than a side.

the guy looks obscure on rym so i just called him that instead of some nobody

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/glenn-branca/the-ascension-6/

look at the "credits" section and see some of the records that guy has played on

We'll see on Mono No Aware, added it because I heard it's a nice collection of ambient idk.

Yeah, Maiden Voyage is a great place to start with Herbie. His compositions on that album are top notch, has a great atmosphere and all the musicians are fantastic.

>the guy looks obscure on rym so i just called him that instead of some nobody

Well he was all over the place as a sideman - on famous recordings with Ornette Coleman, Jackie McLean, Dexter Gordon, Lee Morgan, etc

Wait I didn't mean to attach this pic lmao

sick pic lmao

I'll put Maiden Voyage on the side for later.

good thing no one else is awake to yell at my jazz knowledge, this fuck's everywhere and I haven't heard a single album from him

Interested in hearing him on an original material only album, of course.

if you win the tourney you should force yourself to keep the trip on and achieve meme status

>My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Didn't expect to like this one so much. A bit inconsistent, but awesomely colorful and sweet for an album like this. Rather than focusing just on being noisy, Loveless focuses on noise that is detailed and melodic. I've heard jokes about "four snare hits" followed by 50 minutes of vacuum noise, but I don't see it. Each track on Loveless sounds distinctly different from the others. Speaking of which, I was suprised when I was finished to find out this album was 50 whole minutes long, as it felt more like 30. I originally had this at a 3.5, but I can't come up with enough legitimate critisisms to warrant a score that low. 4/5.

>Death Grips - The Meme Store
The songwriting is good, but each song on this album goes for the same style: obnoxious and loud, every instrument seeming pushed as loud as it can go. Even MC Ride is screaming at the top of his lungs most of the time. As a result, this album never feels actually loud or explosive, because it's all like that. It got to the point where I felt like I could make a death grips song by opening my DAW, half-assing a synth loop in one track, making a simple drum pattern in another, and making a third track that's a recording of me screaming into a mic about stabbing people. Push all of those to max volume, increase the global volume to the max as well, and the result wouldn't be out of place on The Money Store. But there are a handful of great tracks like Get Got, Hustle Bones and Hacker. 2.5/5

>Radiohead - Pablo Honey
Starts out all right with the first few tracks, nothing terribly offensive, but all goes downhill from there aside from Blowout. Bland pop rock that has nothing going for that aside from an okay melody, and oftentimes not even that. Stop Whispering particularly infuriates me. 1.5/5

>there may be some way to rework this to be less tacky
nigga for what, this thing's a perfect product of its time. it just needed some ponies.

Your statement isn't even wrong, and it's kinda appalling because of that

Now I'm wondering how people will look back on the 00's time of music. Will there be some kind of revival of the electronic music that burst in popularity for the time, and its trademark sound? And what kind of products could come about from it?

I hope it's not just dubstep + R&B like that album on the top of my tourney chart

Vaporwave Revival that's literally just new wave

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_birthday_party/live_1981_82/

uhh
you were looking for some stuff with falsetto singing innit
and you're kind of a peasant so
Richard Dawson - Peasant

You're too late, I listened to it on my own last thread. 8/10, expecting it to grow on me.
>and you're kind of a peasant so
Yah

But if you got male falsettos hit me up
Not guaranteed I'll like them but usually if they're REALLY high I'll take it

>vaporwave revival
We'd get 3 great albums out of that and that's it

Better than vaporwave if true

This song does so many little things right
youtu.be/1y7G1Jig7Jk

When the backing vocals come back isolated @ 3:28 it's pure bliss idk why

Graham Lambkin - Amateur Doubles

Check these Amateur Doubles.

hey /daily/
i commented here a couple days ago and got some recs from you. i checked some of them out and plan on listening to more tonight - here's what i think so far. i don't give anything a rating between 1 and 5 btw.
also you'll see here a couple of jap avant folk artists. i'm wanting to really explore that genre further. i'm a big fan of ichiko aoba, so if you know any shit like her or jap avant folk in general send it my way!

Neu! has really grown on me as of recent, here I thought I'd hate it forever, I don't know what I was on when I listened to it first though there's actually quite a few things going on given that it's a duo. Lieber Honig sounds like something that'd come out of Microcastle-era Deerhunter. Gonna listen to the first four Talking Heads albums hence why I've marked off Fear of Music, gonna post thoughts in about 10 or so hours.

Try the sports one next!

fug

hav u heard Nothing Important tho?

hmm

>japvant folk
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/asa_chang_and_junray/みんなのジュンレイ__minna_no_junray_/

>i'm a big fan of ichiko aoba, so if you know any shit like her or jap avant folk in general send it my way!

The classics :
Seiko Oomori - 魔法が使えないなら死にたい
Yoshiko Sai - 萬花鏡
J.A. シーザー - Denen Ni Shisu
Anything by Kazuki Tomokawa (Muzan no Bi is a good start)
Mibu Furukawa - 業晒し
Meme - ちとてとち

sick, Nikaido Kazumi
That album is fantastic my friend, probably not that avant, but you will be surprised by her voice
Daisuke Tobari - Guitar
that's my favorite avant-folk album, i hope you really like it.
Sweet Trip - Halica
also lmao this is like the 4th time i'm paired against letov or something

that's pretty amateur my dude

>i'm a big fan of ichiko aoba, so if you know any shit like her or jap avant folk in general send it my way!
You wanna get real spooky? Listen to Kengo Iuchi. I'd also recommend Morita Douji.
Seconding.
These are great recs. I'd also add Mikkou and Taiji no Yume for Sai Yoshiko.

Oh yeah, and Aiko Shimada- Blue Marble is a pretty cool folktronica album if you're into that.

Thanks folks, these look great. I've only listened to Meme - ちとてとち before, so i'm looking forward to doing the rest of these!
I think i'll make my next chart just a whole bunch of this shit, i found this list on rym, contributed to by the great antiwarhol himself:
rateyourmusic.com/list/aoa/japanese_eccentric_folk/
anyone listened to any of this? if you have feel free to share any highlights or favourites!

In addition to what's already been recommended, I can vouch for Jun Konagaya, Hako Yamasaki, Kumiko Suyama, Manekineko Kagekidan (who I think are a side project or ZELDA), and Syzygys. Oh, and Geinoh Yamasaki, but you probably already know them. All of their albums are worthwhile. Especially the Ecophony albums. Interesting list though. I need to dig through a lot more of it myself.

Oh hey
Incredible String Band - The Hangman's Daughter

music :\

seconding Daisuke Tobari hard

reccing
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/かえる目/拝借__haisyaku_/

not incredibly avant but desu it's incredibly comfy and brings me back to less cityish Japan whenever I hear it

fuck, riding the train to it and looking at everything was great

my favorite tune from it:

youtube.com/watch?v=x1_zx7ksjv0

also reccing

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/渚にて/渚にて-on-the-love-beach/

this is considered pop and psych folk but it's still Japanese and comfy so eh

good morning fuckers

oh definitely seconding Muzan no Bi as well but I wasn't sure if it was what you wanted based on what I know from Aoba

I wasn't incredibly fond of Meme when I first listened to em but I feel like I would like them if I only listened to em now

since stuff not too Aobaesque also counts, I guess I can rec Daikanjyo

that technically counts I guess but even if it doesn't it's really worth a listen

mornin mate. what are you up to today?

planning to listen to Kid A, Isn't Anything and Closer

im gonna catch up with my good pal fish on our 2017 chart, prolly read a bit, prolly sleep a bit, the works

wow sounds like a bad day
you should listen to the harry smith anthology instead

Kid B+. Needs second listen.
Isn't Anything now

Ahh /daily/ ! I missed you!
I haven't given up on it, still here, haha
Just couldn't post the last couple days sadly...
But I listened to quite a few of your favourite albums. Not sure if I should tak about each of them now. But you can of course ask me about any rated album!

But I haave to mention the Red House Painters album, omg, it is so beautifully sad and melancholic, the lyrics, the mood, the vocals, everything is so intensily captivating and stiring,
Medicine Bottle especially hits so hard, I can't not love this for how sad it makes me feel.

Regarding the Mingus album, I just have to say, I feel so left out on jazz, I just don't understand the appeal, my mum loves it and even played in a jazz band for awhile, so I actually grew up with it, but it never did anything to me more than being nice background music. And it's the same on this album, even if it is a pretty interesting jazz here. But I can't really see what exactly I have to pay attention to?? I doubt just listening to more of it would help.
Any advice?

Also what next?
(i still haven't listened to your last rec, borzoi, sorry ;_; but have it downloaded already!)

I feel like jazz didn't click for me until I heard about AABA form and listened to Brilliant Corners. Super pleb summary: a piece States the theme (A), States it again, then there's improvisation around the theme (B section) during which I mentally play the theme repeatedly to hear how it converges toward and diverges from the improv, then the theme is stated again and the piece ends. Much of Brilliant Corners follows this so it gave me a good foothold in what to listen for. That said, i may be listening wrong, lol.

Loveless onions?

Many of the pieces on Giant Steps also do AABA very obviously, and both those albums are amazing

free palestine from this man

Hey dude you see the bad news?

fucks sake

how many are going out each round again?

i'm two days late with this shit

The bottom four
I don't t h i n k you have to worry

Why does every sober musician have a shit body?

how will daily ever recover hahaha

The floor is heterosexuality

it won't
this is the last thread

Hehe don't worry :*

umu

Sorry for the late reply, thank you!!
I haven't heard about that form yet, I'll try to look for it in Brilliant Corners when I listen to it!

>Loveless onions?
Unfortuantely I don't see much outstanding in it, a couple very nice moments and a generelly nice dreamy, melancholic atmosphere, but nothing I could completely drown into. I'm sure I'm missing something, it should be right up my alley.

Fair onions. I felt that way at first but then listened a third time just yesterday and it really clicked hard

unreleased monks coming out on the same day as the new basho, oh shit

if i do end up getting kicked out after being assured of my safety i will be very hurt

strawpoll.me/13175683
reposting this. tell me what games i should play.

(user)
i mean sure, but i'm already in most current bandcamp pages by the group.

(letov)
wuh

yeah i just read that comment recently. he tried his damndest i'll tell ya.

The Ramayana Monkey Chant is the best track on the album IMO.

don't play games much anymore but hotline miami is a lot of fun

Yeah Loveless is one of those albums. It took me even longer to get really into it, but it's one of my favorites now. The sheer pop sensibility on that record is second to none.

>mfw Ubisoft was better than Bethesda
>mfw Bethesda was worse than EA
>mfw MS was better than Sony (???)

what the fuck happened

I didn't watch it but they apparently livestreamed a bunch of people in costumes doing vidya themed improv for fourteen hours straight

I am morbidly curious as to what you thought of my moonrunes album

I'm going to make exactly one (1) post about vidya this thread, but what exactly did MS announce that you could actually seeing yourself playing? Anthem, maybe? There were at least three games Sony showed that were decent-looking. All-in-all very mediocre but not terrible.

I'm glad I didn't watch any of these live because I skipped through so much of it lmao. I guess vidya just doesn't excite me like it used to. Best announcements by far were all Nintendo stuff though. Metroid Prime 4 was probably the best announcement by far and I don't even have a switch.

Who remember Microsoft E3 2013? Hahaha what a shitshow.

y'all like blurb reviews?
how about 7/10s?

>Nails / Full of Hell - s/t
6 Minutes of perfect music. I need to listen to more grind.

>Khun Narin Electric Phin Band - II
Helljams from Thailand. Picks up speed real hard on the last two tracks.

>Natural Snow Buildings - Aldebaran
Can't say it ever got horribly boring. Can't say it's not six hours long either.

>The Thing with Jim O'Rourke - Shinjuku Growl
Free Improv recod. Not much anything.

>Fenn O'Berg - In Studio
Not too sure what everybody's got their pussy in a pringle about on this one. It's less consistent than the last few Fenn O'Berg outings in tone, but I was still engaged the entire time while listening. The anxiety was there, just in a slower, more direct burn.

>Mattin & Taku Unami - Attention
Left: Unami fucking around with a guitar.
Right: Mattin talking in a thick spanish accent about how your sound system is not good enough to listen to this music, and inquiring how you got the album you're listening to.
Each track is separated by sometimes minutes of silence between bursts of activity.
Wonderful.

>The Mothers of Invention - Weasels Ripped My Flesh
Wasn't as big on this one. I liked the art rock and avant-prog based tracks a lot, but there was slightly too much dicking around to be fully enjoyable.

im_sickened_but_curious.jpg

seems like that's what's gonna be happening. will probably play night in the woods again afterwords.

>Ninja McTits - The Red String of Fate (Sorry I'm All Tied Up this Weekend)
I promise you, you really don't have to.

>nodolby - Sound Crue
This actually works out really well. Both of the last two things I heard were 20 minute noise records released for free on the internet. The last one was one of hundreds of albums released by the same dude on a label with well over 800 releases total. This one wasn't, and actually sounds good.
Strange isn't it.

>Jukka Nousiainen - s/t
In the age of so many throwback acts, imitating the feeling of a long gone era through only the eye of one, it's incredibly difficult to make a lo-fi, straight rock record sound as sincere as this. There is sadly a pretty big language barrier with this, but the passion on these tracks defies language.

>Ambarchi / O'Rourke / Haino - Tima Formosa
If this really is the worst of the collabs, I'm in for bright skies.
I liked the screaming.

>Various Artists (but mostly Jim O'Rourke) - All Kinds of People ~Love Burt Bacharach~
I mean, it's a series of covers of songs I've never heard. I can't judge it much on adaption, but it's fairly consistent nonetheless. It's also an O'Rourke pop record (kinda) so every note's more or less gonna be perfect.
I feel he did restrict himself a bit too far with this though. Between the invitation of so many guests (technically turning this into a V/A comp) and the covering of such strictly lounge material seems to only allow the bare bones of the pop perfection to be outlined. Not much room for majestic dissolving.
There were too many tracks sung in broken english by small sounding japanese women to be cute.
It's fairly inconsistent. Kinda a letdown.

>Toshiya Tsunoda - Low Frequency Observed at Maguchi Bay
A good chunk of this album is completely inaudible to the human ear.
However, it's the only album I've ever heard that has made me feel like I'm suffocating while I listen to it.
Kinda hard to rate.
a 6 sounds good for now.

>The Gerogerigegege - 燃えない腹
A brief lesson in Economics:

"On April 23rd 2003, The GeroGeriGeGeGe hits the road on 8 city west coast tour.
They would them make history by partaking in the first ever all scratch music tour.
The unique thing about this record is that most of the sounds were designed
and arranged before the group actually rehearsed it. In other words, you will hear this
record and be challenged with the question on how to use the sounds just as they
were.
With less than 2 weeks to practice, the member took bits and pieces of sounds
from this record, and created the vibe featured on this tour.
Like any The GeroGeriGeGeGe releases, this is not your average record, this is an
instrument featuring custom made sounds, vintage synths, as well as samples
from seminal albums such as 'Sketchbook: An Introduction to Good Music'.
Wether you're trying to mimmick the song performed on the tour and album, create
original good music, or producing tracks traditionally, there's enough samples to bang
out multiple albums."
- Scrotum Records official website

"Side A is just a disco song
Side B is a shitty remix of that disco song, just using the repeat function in audacity"
- velocifish

Questions:
1. Is any of the information from the record label correct?
2. Does Juntaro even know this record exists?
3. Do I regret paying $20 for this?

Answer Key:
1. llɐ ʇɐ ʇoN
2. ʇoN ʎlqɐqoɹԀ
3. oN
5/10

>Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
no.

Other Stuff of Note:
>Finn Diesel - Boiler Room x SXSW DJ Set
If you open up your set with an MLG parody version of "Shake it Off" and then use the rest of your set to play basic bitch EDM with not a hint of irony behind yourself, please stop doing this.
soundcloud.com/platform/finn-diesel

>GFOTY - Cotton Eyed GF-j-O-e-TY
I mean if you want to listen to half an hour worth of novelty versions of Cotton Eye Joe this is just about the best way to do it.
There's one in here that sounds like Flat Zone 2, so that's pretty lit.
soundcloud.com/clubrepz/cotton-eyed-gf-j-o-e-ty

>Jacob Hutto - Where's the Humanity?
Slightly inconsistent, but a vast and great effort from Jacob. Has something for just about everybody.
jacobhutto.bandcamp.com/album/wheres-the-humanity

>Malibu - Gold of Nightfall
Keep an eye on this one. She's only done DJ mixes and a few singles up to now, but the scale and care that goes into each mix is outstanding. Expecting AOTY out of her in a few years.
soundcloud.com/novembre-magazine/gold-of-nightfall

>michealcushion - Life Escaper Trial Edition
Terrifying sound collage. A solid listen if you're into experimental music from any time period.
meltytapes.bandcamp.com/album/life-escaper-trial-edition
(also bumping this guy's amazing youtube channel, a must watch if you are alive and hate something.)
youtube.com/watch?v=vH0XJiqmzV0

>Sinjin Hawke - First Opus
The melon is right on this one. Good listen if you want footwork to be pushed further without losing all of its pop qualities.
youtube.com/watch?v=01-M-BXT1-Y&list=PLTj-JRNB9VKye8zzW1gfL7IqZ2tY_06MH

>VINTAGE 북쪽 - Northland
Vaporwave album from 2012 (!) making great use of Rock n Roll samples. Further proof that the genre is just about dead and is just a bunch of fancy names for ambient techno and plunderphonics at this point.
negativeplus.bandcamp.com/album/northland

>mfw nintendo got the most hype for a 30 second title reveal

Metro, Ori and the The Last Night were all cool, Xbox Fat BC was interesting even though that console had like ten worthwhile games total
The SotC remake was the only thing at Sony that seemed appealing, I've never been one for zombie stuff or Monhun, they didn't even mention the stuff people were really anticipating either (From, TLOU, etc.)

E3 2010 with Kinect was way worse than 2013, and I think 2006 earns the title of the worst overall E3 ever

So is that just some hack label trying to cash in on the Gero name or something? Or did they accidentally mispress some disco music? Weird.

>nintendo objectively won E3
[panic]

former (maybe)
they've released some legit gero material before. juntaro has pressed some bootlegs as gero, and he probably knows about digital techniques by now, so i don't even know.

>Can't say it ever got horribly boring. Can't say it's not six hours long either.
gr8 review

I mean it's a franchise I love and I thought for sure was deader than shit so I'm hype

They deserve it just because there was not much else that was uber hype.

fair enough E3 gay as shit tho ig so who care (answer is me I love the gay shit)

>and I think 2006 earns the title of the worst overall E3 ever
maybe overall, but 2010 Konami actually takes gold for shittiest/best ever
youtube.com/watch?v=l1vmrMAqeWM

gross
delet this

>Prince of Denmark - 8
A three hour minimal techno album seemed like a grim prospect and a test of patience at first. However, seeing the positive reviews from people I trust and hearing his EP gave me enough confidence to dive headfirst into it. Keep in mind I’m not normally one who enjoys long albums. I have even used length as a criticism in the past though I don’t believe in that as strongly anymore. This record managed to keep me engaged for its entire duration. All things considered it is a massive, sprawling album that encapsulates multiple moods and styles while remaining focused and cohesive. There are no weak songs. There is so much variety here despite the music being so minimal. Yet at its core, this album is simple. Most of the songs have a four on the floor danceable beat holding them up with some additional loops on top. So how does this album manage to be so hypnotic and consistent? To be honest, I have no clue. This probably comes down to my personal biases in music. However, I believe behind the simplicity of these tracks, there is a painstaking amount of detail and effort put into them. This is the complete summary of a man’s work, a portion of his life instilled into this record. A man whose identity we do not know. A guy who ended his project and dropped his moniker after releasing a 3 hour 23 song 8XLP containing absolutely no filler and barely any songs under the 5 minute mark. “The story I’ve been trying to tell here has been told”. To add to the mystique of this release, there are multiple different physical and digital copies of it floating around. Different cuts of different lengths, same songs with slightly different melodies, an extra song appearing on an early Soulseek release titled Hacker perhaps released by the Prince himself. “You will never have everything”. Artwork that comes with the vinyl release prominently features an ∞ sign, which holds an obvious relation to the number 8.

(1/2)

This is an amorphous blob of music. This is one of those rare albums that thematically justifies its length in addition to being compositionally and sonically justifiable. This is a landmark techno release that I hope will gain more traction and be talked about for years to come. If you’re at all interested in minimal techno, you owe it to yourself to listen to it. I don’t want to rush into calling this album “perfect” because it demands more time, but I don’t think I can give it anything less than what I’ve given it for now.

agreed

youtube.com/watch?v=HWBFp5vDUBM&t

asi es la cosa babosos

:(
I just couldn't relate at all. Since I can't understand the lyrics, I ignored them for the most part and just focused on the rest, but this felt just like noisy, samey songs without a distinct mood or atmosphere, I also really did not like the singers voice, it just sounds so ugly to me.

New Everything Everything album coming out in 2 MONTHS

Fuck Richard Dawson, that'll be my AOTY

get to heaven is the WORST

W R O N G
R
O
N
G

lamb aint wrong tho

Recc me some stuff I can stream on yt or bandcamp !
I want to hear:
Powerviolence
Grime
2017 things

>clever lyrics and great songwriting
>super high voice that filters out plebs
>established an individual sound with first album
>almost every song is catchy
>refreshing usage of electronics in pop rock
>really great b-sides
>not to mention 10/10 album art

>gets moderately memed on Sup Forums

There's worse than this album

Need a recc from you for tourney, btw
I might have missed it from an older thread if you already gave it

>Need a recc from you for tourney, btw
I was wondering!
OK do you want something more noise or more punk ?

n̶e̶i̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶b̶h̶

I'll take noise

>super high voice that filters out plebs

wtf I meet plebs like every day that listen to Get To Heaven

Broaden your horizons
Black Pus 1

Rig Time - sick of it for pv/beatdown