/prod/ - Two Mono Midi edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

or any other similar website. GIVE and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M&list=RDatvtBE6t48M#t=1764

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/uvhhlubs
clyp.it/hyfxujvy
mega.co.nz/#!5N8ggCbA!J8GtbeF8r7AnTwTGia2PgntNuPqs3KMI7Jo-1G43nfg
mega.nz/#!tU1CnSoA!3PH2i4T-AIUDKCJoQynQdifCeRH7XbR7oCyWm_xoDPI
clyp.it/jwaucjqc
clyp.it/veetw5yf
youtube.com/watch?v=HWBFp5vDUBM&t
clyp.it/ak0pf4cp
clyp.it/wchz3qzh?token=f2cf3390a4fcadd9ee4a317f2ca4b04e
clyp.it/lxjxddgj
clyp.it/x5mhrcgy
clyp.it/5f3ualpi
clyp.it/ztpts4aa
clyp.it/0prowcos
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for fire
clyp.it/uvhhlubs

What's the origin of mono midi? Was it in reference to CV/Gate?

i am a nigger

and this is a shitpost

Hey

what's the best drum machine/vst for programming blast beats and shit like that and make it sound decent without too much effort

Best music theory Youtube channel for composition/songwriting?

Pretty nice, especially that key change thing every second bar. Only problem is I think I can hear clipping. How loud is the track? How are you limiting it?

I have FL Studio 12 with the native FL Studio ASIO. And I have a problem: the volume suddenly becomes low when, for example, a kick drum plays. I want the volume to be the same. Also why is it so low in general. Here is the clip: clyp.it/hyfxujvy
>ASIO4ALL
>4ALL
>for all
>only locks audio to one program
Just watch SeamlessR's video on music theory. Or read the goddamn thread, fagola.

just a way too forced meme

Sounds like there's a limiter on the master track.

Nah. Without the limiter is still the same situation. It has something to do with the ASIO itself.

asio does not at all affect the rendered file, it's just for communication with your soundcard
so it obviously has to be earlier in the chain

Thanks for the help. My sound card is Realtek HD Audio.

makes no difference
it's somewhere in FL

I don't hear anything.

ASIO will nearly always be different, level-wise, from the default Windows mixer since ASIO bypasses the Windows audio subsystems and communicates directly with your audio interface - a lot of times this will work out to be a quieter output as you've noticed but it's nothing to fret about - it just indicates that the Windows mixer (and maybe even the mixer/control panel for your audio driver) is boosting the signal on the way out.

As mentioned above by , there's a likelihood that there's limiting happening somewhere if the overall level drops when something energetic plays - if the rendered mix has this same thing going on then there is a limiter in the chain but if looking at the waveform of the rendered mix doesn't show any limiting I'd be inclined to suspect that the playback system (speakers, headphone amp?) is limiting the audio level in the analogue domain rather than the limiting taking place in the box.

Anyone tried this? is this course worth it?

>$127

WEW LAD

Just sign up for sonic academy, its like $12 a month, watch all the videos you can, then just cancel your subscription on the last day of the month. Just follow along with a few turorials and you'll understand enough

there is NO reason to pay that much money for less content

ok

There's no need to ever pay money for anything on the internet

Somebody update the pastebin, links have been dead for a while

here's the ebook bundle link:
mega.co.nz/#!5N8ggCbA!J8GtbeF8r7AnTwTGia2PgntNuPqs3KMI7Jo-1G43nfg

how do i use max martin melodic math

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in reasonably priced animated lyric videos?

Somebody update the pastebin

here's the new ebook bundle link
mega.nz/#!tU1CnSoA!3PH2i4T-AIUDKCJoQynQdifCeRH7XbR7oCyWm_xoDPI

What kind of hardware would you guys recommend for creating sample based ambient music? I've been looking at the SP404 because I know the 303 is why Person Pitch is a thing, but I was wondering if something else might be more suited for what I'd like to do.

a computer

Dragging and dropping files in ableton hurts my creativity and makes me think of music as a carefully calculated process, thus the desire for an external sampler that would let me actually play things live and sketch out ideas without the overhead of opening ableton and plugging my midi controller into my laptop only to have to drag and drop specific sounds to even start making noise

get a midi pad youf ucking imbecile

>an external sampler that would let me actually play things live and sketch out ideas without the ... have to drag and drop specific sounds to even start making noise
confirmed for absolutely clueless

Get an Ableton Push

Naw, Im basically looking for a hardware alternative to the shit you can already do with abelton and a midi pad, but I guess there isn't one?

you can go tried and true and get a Roland sp-xox or a secondhand MPC but don't think you're not going to have to do a lot of tooling before you get it making music. ableton was designed to do what those do, but faster and easier.

alternatively you can get something like maschine and buy an ambient sample pack-- that'll get you going faster

or get the sp-xox and a bunch of effects pedals

or you can go trve kvlt and get a mixer and bunch of walkmen and make ambient tape-loops

clyp.it/jwaucjqc

Is the intro too long? Should I just get right into the drop?

beat for a friend, I know it's poopy but please blast me in a constructive way, need ideas desperately

clyp.it/veetw5yf

>clyp.it/veetw5yf
all i hear is hi hats

Hardware looks cool but it's really a pain in the ass. Only hardware I can think of that is worth it in the modern age is a Maschine, and even that needs you to install software on your PC (I think) but you can do everything from the one controller.

MPCs take a long time because of the tiny memory and small screen, but they have new ones such as the MPC reneissance which are supposed to be easier to use. All of them are really expensive though and so is the maschine

current-gen mpc's are pretty much all pc-slaved maschine-clones.

older, hardware mpc can be used without a pc and are pretty well-priced on the secondhand market but youre right: there's no avoiding actually having to do a lot of menial grunt labor in gettiung the sounds you want to come out

I play guitar along backing tracks I make myself. I have no idea how to mix and master it. Basically I just add the MIDI tracks and assign the VST instruments to them (only bass and drums). It kind of sounds bad later when I play my guitar alongside it.

Would anyone be kind to help me get a slightly more acceptable sound? I could upload the MIDI files or the bass and drum track audio.

why did this happen

some project bugged and wont show input devices for recording anymore. on any track, restarting pc doesnt fix it
on a new, blank project it works right away

how ta fix it

How do I find drums to match my track?

youtube.com/watch?v=HWBFp5vDUBM&t

TE IMPORTA?!?!?!?

AAAH

What sort of answer are you expecting here? We don't know what your track is, or what sort of drums you want.

clyp.it/ak0pf4cp

You either have a big enough sample library that you know very well, and you go and find them there, or you make them yourself either from scratch or with other more "basic" samples.

I actually really like this. But the hihats almost fucking hurt.

How do I avoid making my music sound generic, /prod/?

Or is that not even something I should be thinking about at this point?

Focus on doing weird shit disregarding genres.
Have fun and try to make new sounds and compositions that nobody has ever made before.
Maybe you won't reach that goal, but your music will surely become more unique and original.
You can always one down the weirdness afterwards by changing things to be a bit more normal, but it's better to have weird (but good sounding) stuff that you have to normalize than to have boring stuff that you have to make interesting and original.

Pretty cool. I think it needs some reverb on the growl.

Does anybody else feel immediately discouraged even before touching your DAW? I know I have to keep at it, but it sucks to know that I suck. And I'm just afraid to even try because I know it'll just be a bunch of garbage.

I know I sound like a faggot. I just wanna know if anyone else feels the same way.

I used to but then I got good. Don't worry, you'll get there if you work hard ;)

Every. Single, Fucking. Time. I come to try and finisgh this fucking song Reaper does some bullshit. First host_32 would crash because I was running 32x pluggins in reaper 64x, so I installed 32x reaper and everything was smooth until I got a lot of work done on the song, press play a fifth time and the program fucking crashes. So I unplug my ux2 and diable/enable the device because that use to work, but nope. So reaper constantly has errors loading the asio driver and crashes when I try and close the program anyway. Why the fuck does reaper have to crash every single fucking time?!

I hope I get good. I'll probably be 30 by the time it happens. If it does.

How long did it take you?

Hey guys i've been working on a remix of 21 Savage No Heart. I went for this really spooky vibe but i think the beat is a bit too repetive, i think there could be some more extra elements added to it but i don't really know what. Any other critique is also appreciated.

clyp.it/wchz3qzh?token=f2cf3390a4fcadd9ee4a317f2ca4b04e

3rd party plugs will fuck you buddy

follow ur dremz and stop copying other people :p

>find

you have to make/work on them dipshit

Nah, it took me 2 years give or take man.

>clyp.it/jwaucjqc
holy shit, this is nuts! Soundclound/youtube user?

post one of your tracks user

Elektron Octatrack or Digitakt

I remember you cut that out

clyp.it/lxjxddgj

This is the latest one I've done.

nice, good song. you could probably shorten it up like 2 mins though, it is a little long

hmm maybe, I could make a different "radio edit" skipping the club intro + outro

clyp.it/x5mhrcgy
tips on how I can make this better?
Pretty sure I need some variation on the drum velocity but I'm stumped on where I should go from this.

Hey, this is pretty good. The growls aren't really my taste, but I love the drums. Any tips on making drums sound good?

There's a new FREE app right now that allows you to make music on your phone

It's basic, just drums, bass and synth, but you can fiddle with filters and and stuff to make it sound okay

Called Groovebox

Just made this in 1 minute
clyp.it/5f3ualpi

Kinda fun I guess

it needs a bumping 808 groove fAm

Lol can't tell if youre being sarcastic.

clyp.it/ztpts4aa

I found my metal brushes
And also recorded my Yamaha CVP-3

i most certainly am, you need to add variation for everything cause its probably looks like pic related atm

lol gotcha thanks for a real answer. Are the sounds okay though?

honestly dude the sounds sound very amateurish

Yeah, figured. Shit this making music thing is goddamn difficult.

it takes time, try and build up a repertoire of sounds and vsts and eventually the quality will improve

SOUNDS GREAT!

Could anyone give me some feedback on this mix? I'm pretty new to production so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Recorded for this girl I like, and will definitely never show her.

It consists of some stuff from my volca keys, small modular system, guitar, shortwave radio samples and tape loops

clyp.it/0prowcos

idk theres not much to comment on, its just the same thing for 4 minutes

yeah it's a loop
a lot of stuff I like is like that

Taylor Deupree, Gas, Kyle Bobby Dunn, Brian Eno, etc...

Also tapes, really??

I guess its just a bit bland for my taste but sound and level wise sounds fine to me.

>doesn't own a reel to reel

why you would want an antiquated piece of garbage which requires physical alterations to the tape in order to rid of that awful hiss, baffles me

How do I make my creative process faster? I feel like I take too long and then I stop giving a shit about the project.

What is your creative process now?

I usually just dick around on the instruments until I get a clear idea of the melody and rhythm I wanna create and then switch to the daw, so producing is basically just putting everything in it's right place and then adding some effects and shit.

dayum nice reel user, I hope to afford a nice 10 inch one day.

a lot of people like the lo fi sound quality and imperfections analog tape offers. Also if your tape machine is serviced / biased correctly you can make very high quality recordings.
It's also fun to use the r2r as an instrument itself, and making physical loops is a fun hands on process, as well as using two units to get a frippertronics setup going is a lot of fun. Y u gotta be mean about it? ;_;

I can definitely understand that, but thanks for listening and giving feedback

also eq'ing out tape his is super easy

Panda Bear did not make person pitch on an SP. he made it in a DAW and said he made it on a roland to sound more talented

If you are going to just mess around on the SP-404 you should know you can't even fine tune the pitch of samples on a 404 to pair two samples together so at best you can chop a sample with a musical hook, add drums to it, a few sound fx and maybe if you're lucky another sample you put on the SD card matches up

Otherwise you will have to do it calculated - start with one sample on a pad, chop it across the bank, and listen to vinyl's/CDs through the phono in waiting for the next sample that matches up

Something like kontakt is much better for happy accidents because you can tune it and it's fast

this

the 404 is, as much as i usually groan about people who use this phrase, kind of a meme. it's decent for doing live effects stuff because it's easy to switch between them on the fly, but actually sampling with them is a pain in the ass for numerous reasons.

if i remember correctly there was a bunch of limitations beyond what you mentioned, like only being able to resample real-time playing instead of patterns and not being able to resample more than 4 sounds at once, instead of the resample just being a bounce of whatever you played like a normal sampler

how to record zynaddsubfx synths into ardour as separate tracks?

Thanks! It really comes down to sample selection with drums, no point eqing a shit kick, it's never gonna sound good.

a few things that have helped me

>templates
>save presets of patches
>effects racks ready
>kits
>WOWMAKEPRESETS

probably would help to have a keyboard and know all your shortcuts???

also get disciplined wtf

meme tier gear so you can feel more legit and different buddy

gotta agree with the other user, sounds fine, imo the only real standard for drone like this is to make sure the sounds don't bleed together too much and nothing sticks out poorly

>hurts my creativity
>prefaces something that hurts to read 90% of the time

maybe try an mpc????

If you really feel that way about the "calculated process" you either don't know how to work fast enough or you're better off playing guitar or something dood

>ardour
>literallywhat

>into???

is there not an option to arm multiple tracks in it..? ctrl+clickaroo?

i'm looking at a reamp box to use some of my pedals as outboard gear

is there any alternatives to this? the cheapest one is like 99 bucks but I spent all my money on pedals

>alternatives

don't use one...? just do the same thing with no box in the chain lol

imo not really worth it unless you've got crazy expensive pedals

well when I use it as an insert it sounds like shit cuz its not line level. I need to convert it to that but the only suggestion i've received is a reamp box

Find a used one on eBay

The only other option is just turning the level down real low when you're outputting the audio but then you raise the noise floor.

>I spent all my money on pedals

lekk

You have some stupid ass shit auto volume limiting on your sound device in windows.

My OS is in another language so I dont know what the translation for everything here is.
right click speaker icon > playback devices > preferences/settings> enhancements > deactivate all enchancements

se pic for direction, pardon not being in english.