What are Sup Forumss thoughts on the Grateful Dead? Meme band or something special...

What are Sup Forumss thoughts on the Grateful Dead? Meme band or something special? Sometimes listening to Jerry's vulnerable voice breaking through a Ripple or Loser really grabs the soul and sometimes I think they suck.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/GratefulDead
rateyourmusic.com/list/crod89/grateful-dead-live-album-overview/
youtu.be/HWBFp5vDUBM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I like their more psychedelic side. The folksy side, not nearly as much.

Speaking of which - anyone know of a collection (album, list, whatever) of their long-form psychedelic jams? Those instrumental odysseys they'd fall into during concerts.

I think they're awesome, one of the best rock bands from that era.

anthem of the sun and live/dead are 9.5/10

Dark Star
Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower
Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain
St Stephen > Not Fade Away
The Other One
China Cat Sunflower

Dad rock

Estimated Prophet

Also, Eyes of the World

Listen to the Cornell 5/8/77 live album... Regarded as one of their best shows, if not the best. There's a pretty smokin scarlet Begonias into fire on the mountain in the second set.

neither a meme band or something special

So you're saying you can't describe or label the dead...

They have so much shit I don't know where to start

If you have Spotify just start working through the live albums called Dick's Picks. Check out the Cornell 5/8/77 live album.

>If you have Spotify
and if you dont? can you post some of the best live albums

They're all on YouTube anyways. Look up Live/Dead, Europe '72, Bear's Picks, and Reckoning.

Like the other guy said Europe 72 is great, also Cornell University from 5/8/77 is regarded as their best, some others might argue with me but I think they were at their peak in the late 70s so anything from that era will be good.

American Beauty is one of the most beautiful collection of songs ever released

I love The Dead, live shows are something to behold

Go to archive.org/details/GratefulDead and look up Fillmore 69 and Cornell 77, I would then just check out some shows from those two years. Also this helps: rateyourmusic.com/list/crod89/grateful-dead-live-album-overview/

have fun!

Top 5 American band.

why do people say this like it's somehow insightful?

It's not even dad rock. it would be grandad rock at this point.

Just experienced a weekend of Dead and Company in Boulder... What a group. Bob is looking a little rough these days but Mayer is killing it.

My dad's more of a Jefferson Airplane & Hot Tuna guy

Check it out along all of their gigs these pieces:
Dark Star
Weather Suite Report
Playin in the Band
Help > Slipknot > Franklins
The Other One (usually with Truckin or Dark Star)
Terrapin
Althea
Estimated
Spanish Jams

You can look for them in Archive.org. Ive seen the Dead almost fifty times

Im playing some shows with hot tuna and dark star orchestra in january. Love them.

Any JGB?

They Love Eachother
Mystery Train
Mission in the Rain
The Maker

I'll take a melody

I cant remember clearly if I saw them in 75. I believe it was in Boulder Colorado with Nicky Hopkins on keys. Too many years I guess

Hadn't heard of him til just now. I've played with Melvin seals before. He just finished a tour with my friends band Terrapin Flyer

Melvin dug it so bad. The thing is that I havent seen JGB because of their covers all night long and that stuff. Better gigs with the Dead absolutely

Did you see the new Amazon prime documentary? Thoughts?

I did not. Is it good? Last one I saw was that one of Netflix about Bobby Weir

I've only seen the first hour and it was great. Heard the rest was really good but increasingly depressing by the end. It stops with jerry's death.

Haven't watched the Bobby one yet. David Gans has a new book out I've been meaning to read. I prefer reading while listening overall.

Bump

youtu.be/HWBFp5vDUBM
AM I A MEME?!