Is it safe to say that the internet and social media have done more to hurt popular music than help it?

Is it safe to say that the internet and social media have done more to hurt popular music than help it?

Until he starts picking good instrumentals again Vince Staples is basically just a comedian.

I like it better now than before where whatever you could be exposed to was exclusively determined by (((record labels))).

True.

I saw an interview and was like "this guy is great!" and then I listened to his music and thought it was shit lol

This

But why was music so much better then?

Vinny Stapler is a racist confirmed.

Kek that's a good one

Yes, social media, but mostly social networks have fucked the music industry, but creatively. Your example is a bad example because the AMA are actually a good thing. They are free publicity and you can think more about the answers. Every artist has had to give interviews since always.

It wasn't. You just fall for memes.

So the music dominating pop charts today is artistically on the same level as Phil Spector, Motown, Stax, Stevie Wonder, the Beatles, the Beach Boys, Michael Jackson, Prince, etc.?

nice cherrypicking

It's called providing evidence in support of an argument.

Now why don't you try it?

Not him, but come on, you where cherry picking. You can grab any year-end hot singles from billboard and you'll rarely see those artists you mentioned. What you will see, though, is a lot of shit. Just as in these times, what dominates the charts is a lot of forgettable crap with some good things in between.

how the fuck is that cherrypicking? look at the producers and songwriters of today dominating the charts, such as max martin, the neptunes, various trap rappers and dr. luke -- you really think their artistic and emotional depth are anywhere near the people dominating the charts back in say the 60s and 70s, like this guy mentioned?

honestly, to say he was cherrypicking is to totally backtrack your point in the first place. what an idiot.

But those artists were pulled from a period of like 20 to 30 years and you're comparing that to what the last 5 or 10 years? Pop music is generally always really average. Just every so often you get a Pet Sounds or a Thriller. In the last couple of years we've had TPAB which I think will, with time, reach the same sorta level as those classic albums. Don't just write off modern music dude, give it a go there's decent stuff there.

>TPAB
>totally middle-ground west coast hip hop with awkward, haphazard production, forgettable, wimpy rapping and watery introspection

people would be taking kendrick lamar as seriously as they take hopsin had it not been for social media and the general ignorance of the consumer

Oh now be fair. It's all ready proved to be a popular album and critically acclaimed. Yes that doesn't prove it's album of the decade but it's clearly doing something right. Anyway, why don't you name some better hip-hop albums then?

That seriously is the whitest movie ever lol

bad popular music was a thing when those artists were relevant too

argumentum ad populum you fucking dummy
you already have "its shit" in the chamber so sal isn't gonna say shit

very true, but we're talking about those who dominate the charts

>It's all ready proved to be a popular album and critically acclaimed
yea because people are dumb and don't know what they're listening to
i don't really listen to hip hop as much as i used to but pretty much anything by de la soul and prince paul completely shits on kendrick lamar

>Vince Staples AMA

fucking hell. I follow him on snapchat can tell this nigger doesn't like shit or go outside.

lol be more white

oh my lord can you stop catposting no-one besides you cares about this dead cat

at least stop venturing out of RYM, your containment thread

there's nothing wrong with being white
just as there's nothing wrong with being black

try again

Soooo, everyone out there who's listened to it and says "Hey this isn't bad!" doesn't know anything? Is there some sort of special course I have to go on to say: I can have an opinion on music? What vindicates an album if general opinion doesn't?

not an argument

>no-one besides you cares about this dead cat
demonstrably false

>What vindicates an album if general opinion doesn't?
>shit Sup Forumsdrones who can't think for themselves say

Yeah but, what does then?

the quality of the music

He has to like it.

l
v
do you even listen to music bro honestly
do you watch the needledrop too?

]
>demonstratably
demonstrate it then

Based