Chemist here. AMA

Chemist here. AMA

In theory, how would I synthesize daptomycin or dapsone?

How much of you're research is dependent on getting the necessary funding?

why do you like chemistry? what do you do for a living?

Was high school chemistry easy for you?

How do you feel about Muslims?

>daptomycin
Out of my league/I'm more interested in Pchem so I work mostly on smaller molecules/crystal structures/nanotech

All of it. Get funded through a PHD at my uni who is pushing for my doctorates.

I've always loved science as a child and got interested in Chemistry because I feel like it provides a basic fundamental understanding of all branches of hard Scientific knowledge.

I used to be a Gunsmith and currently I get paid for my research but mostly I mooch of my mother and sister.

Nice, I'm a chemist as well (just a BSc degree). Mostly worked in Environmental and Oil & Gas laboratories.

Where you work at?

What are some spicy chemist memes?

Only class I failed in High School because I skipped it every day.

I don't feel anything at all other than I enjoy the company of my girlfriends best friend who happens to be one.

I have a question about rust
my car has a lot of rust on the undercarriage and I was looking into ways to eliminate it (short of grinding/ sandblasting)

There are several products that claim to "convert" rust into some sort of non-reactive, non-oxidizing material. Is this bullshit? is it possible to take corroded iron and prevent it from rusting further?

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Nice how long? My uni at the moment.

Cuba being a new frontier for chemists to go work at due to reduced import sanctions.

How do you cook meth?

Have you ever since thought about making lsd and selling it? Its probably less dangerous than making methane easier to sale.

I've read that there aren't many good jobs in the chemistry field unless you've got at least a masters degree. True?

>There are several products that claim to "convert" rust into some sort of non-reactive, non-oxidizing material. Is this bullshit?

Not impossible but mostly bullshit for the purpose you need.

Even if you did convert the rust back into a non oxidized state it would still be in the disjointed flaky state as a result of the initial rusting so most likely you would end up with a pile of metal dust.

> is it possible to take corroded iron and prevent it from rusting further?

Seal it in a hydrophobic film (wax your car)

Got any first hand experience with mescaline

Google, not that hard.

Thought about making it for shits and giggles but most of the methods of synthesizing it are 40+ step processes and that's a lot of bullshit to get high. Besides Mescaline can be made out of Vanilla extract in four steps (as seen in my first post) and I hear from and old Coyote that LSD isn't that much better then Peyote

Define "good"

What is it that determines how elements behave and interact? For instance, why is it that hydrogen and oxygen combine and form water, a chemical that has nothing in common with either? Why is an atom with 17 protons so different from an atom with 18? Is there a way to tell how a chemical is going to behave just by knowing the atoms it's made of?

About 8 years now. Enviro was boring as fuck and the pay sucked, just ran eight GC's all day. Oil & Gas is more interesting.

>at taco bell
Chicken? Beef? Steak?

Awhile ago I read something that you'd be lucky to get a bitch job in a lab for

Not OP but industry Chemfag here again

The companies I worked for in Canada refused to hire masters and phd chemists in the lab because they were overqualified and demanded higher pay. Simple BSc did all the work, it was easy and repetitive so higher education wasn't needed.

In the US it's the opposite, out company only hired masters and phd in the lab, a BSc wasn't even allowed into the lab and would do "administrative" work like reception, I don't know why though...

I already know everything I need to know about you OP, you're a fag.

One time I synthesized a few hundred mg and left it in my glvoebox. Got supper trashed before noon bar hopping with a friend and took it all and drove through my city at rush hour while I brushed the caterpillars of my hands.

>why is it that hydrogen and oxygen combine and form water, a chemical that has nothing in common with either? Why is an atom with 17 protons so different from an atom with 18?

Different number of electrons. Chemistry is essentially the study of electron interactions the various effects that come with them.

>Is there a way to tell how a chemical is going to behave just by knowing the atoms it's made of?

Yes, all the various atoms have different numbers of electrons that can be "shared" with other atoms to form all the different types of bonds that make up all mater. Some atoms are inversely "hungry" for electrons and are more likely to form bonds.

This is a very general set of questions that could be answers in a simple prechem book/course. Very interesting stuff that will give you an awesome lens int he nature of the universe with even a simple understanding of it.

Steak, always stake. Although what's the difference between stake and beef?

That seems unlikely. At least in my part of the country. I was making that much tutoring Chemistry during my first few years of college.

Don't synthesize LSD yourself... 1p-LSD is legal right now and available on surfaceweb.

Most of the products advise you to scrape off the loose stuff, "neutralize" the surface rust that's left, and then "seal" the metal with what seems like some kind of paint.

I was basically wondering if the "neutralizer" part actually stopped oxidation, otherwise it seems like you'd just be sealing corroded metal behind some paint to let it corrode even more.

What's the fun if it isn't a total synthesis?

Once the metal is sealed behind a barrier and no more oxygen is available it will cease oxidation. I.E. air gotta touch the metal to rust it.

Perhaps the oxidation will continue to some extent due to remaining oxygen in the surface rust and the neutralizer is reducing the oxidation.

LSD alone is worth the experience.
I'm not much of a chemistry person, admittedly.

>Perhaps the oxidation will continue to some extent due to remaining oxygen in the surface rust and the neutralizer is reducing the oxidation.
This is why your supposed to remove the rust. If you leave it, you're essentially leaving oxygen atoms that can continue to diffuse deeper into the metal and oxidize it further.

Maybe someday but psychedelics have never been a big goal on my bucket list.

Makes sense. Would thin there would be that much left int he rust to be a serious issue once sealed.

Must be enough to rust and deform enough to break the seal.

>itt