>try to learn music theory
>get bored and do something else
>tfw will always be a pleb with shallow opinions on music

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q3yqUeiMn_g&index=1&list=PLJTWoPGfHxQH5zdZN6UlMPwZerVApkqmk
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's literally not that hard

I mean it's never to late. just turn off the computer and learn.

learning to play an instrument > learning music theory

Yes it is. You have to memorize all this shit about different scales and chords and stuff. It's really tedious and my memory sucks anyway and I don't really know how knowing this shit makes you appreciate "patrician music," which I always get bored and listen to pleb music instead. People tell me I have to study it more to learn how to use it to listen to music better, but I don't know if I can stick with this.

If you now music theory you're probably a faggot with no ability to creativity play any instrument. So you make up for it by learning music theory.

What do you listen to, user?

It's because you don't really want to do it, you just wanted to show off here with your musical knowledge. You don't truly care about the subject so it gets very hard for you to learn it.

Just give up and do something with your heart on it.

my advice would be to learn more about the relationships between things on theory rather than rigid memorization, because it makes the memorization easier

things plebs say

Prove me wrong

this.

theory arrises from the discoveries people make when being creative, not the other way around. theory is a way for people to interpret music, not instructions for making it.

i think great music comes from effort put into the music, not by getting to a place where you "know how to do it".

why don't you prove your own claims first?

Proved wrong

Nirvana the best band of all time didn't use music theory intentionally. And a lot of bands that are almost as good as them didn't. You don't need to know music theory you just need to have talent

>Nirvana
>Best band of all time

People unironically believe. You can't make this shit up.

Beefheart was a master at surrounding himself around actually talented people. A fantastic businessman.

literally any band or musician ever

no, prove that people who learn music theory can't play creatively

first of all, nirvana sucks, second of all, kurt knew a little music theory.

You're just jealous that you have to learn music theory like a band class loser NERD

If they need to learn music theory it's pretty self explanatory

Here you go

So Beefheart's band all knew theory and knew where to put the notes, while he got them together to do it?

Brian Wilson knew some music theory though

Who doesn't the difference is taking time to learn it and casually picking it up as you go along

>Nirvana sucks
>Kurt knew a little theory

Case in point, knowing theory makes you suck

Still doesn't prove his point

He slef taught himself music theory and he's one of the most creative musician and producer of all time, which proves that is not only wrong, but is also a faggot.

Music theory is like a set of tools you can use to help you make coherent music. Sure you don't need to know it, but anyone who's okay at making music without knowing music theory will be amazing with knowledge of music theory. Anyone who disagrees is like OP and too lazy and unmotivated to actually learn it, and instead of devoting the time and effort decide to slander it as unnecessary.

Kinda, Beefheart would make the general ideas and melodies and the band members, specifically John French, would stitch it together.

He knew a ton, much more than most rock artists

Umm have you even heard their stuff other than the songs on the radio. You probably just decided to jump on the hate band wagon. Because you're a Sup Forums drone

Music theory can't save a terrible band no matter what.

I don't think it's unnecessary. Of course it's how music is made, so it can be useful as a composer, but as a listener I don't really know how it's useful. It still makes no different to me whether you know a note is a C or a D.

How have you been trying to learn music theory, OP? For awhile I've been learning through this Fake Dr. Levin YouTube course that starts here: youtube.com/watch?v=Q3yqUeiMn_g&index=1&list=PLJTWoPGfHxQH5zdZN6UlMPwZerVApkqmk
The videos are funny, informative, and interesting and I've learned a lot (I suck at math btw). As someone else in this thread said, learning music theory doesn't necessarily have to involve strict memorization. It's just about gaining a deeper understanding of your instrument and applying your new knowledge to write cool stuff.
But yeah, if you've tried multiple things and you just aint into it I would say don't bother and do something else. A lot of good musicians don't bother sitting down and learning it, so it isn't a requirement. But it has helped me personally.

no, that proves that people who haven't learned much music theory (as you say) can play creatively, which I never claimed to be untrue. However, you (or another user) claimed the inverse of that by saying that all people who DO know music theory CAN'T play music creatively, which isn't true,

Yeah as many people who take the time to learn music theory find out, learning music theory doesn't make you Mozart

There are three parts to a major chord: the tonic, which is the note that the scale is named after. The third, which is two whole steps above that, and the fifth, which is two whole steps above the third. There. Now you can write every top 40 track.

>It still makes no different to me whether you know a note is a C or a D.
That's not music theory, in fact the key of a song literally doesn't matter at all. And you don't really need music theory as a listener unless you're doing in-depth analysis. It can help you appreciate music from an objective standpoint, but overall music theory just sets coherent rules to what kinds of sounds we're already used to hearing. You can tell a I-IV-V progression sounds good without the use of music theory, but with it you can tell what it is, and if you're writing one, you can write it faster and better.

What is the music theory behind sampling?

Brian Wilson was proficient in music theory. He even wrote all the sheet music for every instrument for Per Sounds. And it was other other user that said people who know music theory aren't creative which is complete bullshit. Just an excuses for unmotivated people who don't even have an interest in music to not bother learning it.

Finding samples in a similar tempo, key signature, and time signature, not including mixing. And knowing how these things interact with each other.

Can those that are anti music theory please explain to me what they think music theory is?

Are the only paintings of value those for which the artist had no formal training? Is every educated writer a hack?

It's not being a faggot and actually being a musician, which people who make best on their lap tops are not.

Yeah, that's pretty much the root of it, I guess.

No, the idea is that if people saturate their minds with music theory too much their music will become too technical and therefore uncreative and uninteresting. You see this with those constant shredders.They play these technically amazing solos that kind of seem devoid of any emotion and aren't actually that fun to listen to (in my opinion).

I don't exactly agree with it though. Knowing more theory isn't what makes your solos boring, misapplying it because you have bad taste and lack songwriting ability is what makes them boring.

Music theory is a blueprint of how music works
And it's against music
I thought you guys on Sup Forums we're all about experimental shit and stuff that's outside the box

MUSIC THEORY IS AS INSIDE THE BOX AS YOU CAN GET

t. mediocre lo-fi guitarist

t. faggot who doesn't know how to make music

That's literally my point though. Guitar shredders are the perfect example of music theorists that are extremely uncreative. Their music isn't bad because they learned music theory, their music is bad because they have almost no crearivity

In that case, listening to new music too much makes music seem uncreative and uninteresting. I wish it was only poking at the logic of the other statement, but I feel it is true.

Literally every western song has been written using the twelve tone scale. Everything from Death Grips to Vivaldi uses it. Anything else sounds foreign and weird, it gets hard to enjoy it even ironically.

you have to know the box first, unless you're a literal musical genius

Exactly and WHY did they learn music theory
No creative ability

can someone spoofeed me the Indonesian music scale?

Music theory works with being "outside the box". Everything that has to do with music has a theory for it.

>He doesn't know that every song in the past 20+ years has been recorded onto a computer
>He doesn't understand how electronic music is produced, so he spouts some flippant reaction to it
Faggots who record their music onto wax or vinyl media are faggots. I'm talented and put all my music onto piano roll and music box tape.

Is there any good YouTube channel for learning music theory? I'm not too interested in learning performance but it would be nice to learn some theory.

You're not wrong in the case of shredders, but artists who are creative and know music theory can do wonderful things. I am not arguing that it is necessary to make good music, but to say it is bad is so helplessly ignorant

It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child. - Pablo Picasso

you have to learn the art to meaningfully experiment in it

Keep crying faggot. Must suck knowing that you're not a real musician. Just another bed room faggot who uses prests on ableton.

This, they sucked before they learned music theory, and they suck now that they know music theory. There is not a single musician or band that has gotten worse because they learned music theory.

Also this

As someone who only plays the acoustic guitar, electronic instruments are just as real as any others.

Alright I'm done. Yeah I was messing around since the beginning.i don't think music theory is bad and I completely agree with that statement

If you're not too committed then you'll probably just get bored. Learning theory sort takes passion for music I guess you can say. You have to want to learn about music. If you want try then check out Justinguitar on YouTube.

Theory starts to get pretty heavy into memorization and practice no matter what. You can learn some basics really quickly in multiple fields but then you will hit a wall in each of them.

>thinks just because he learned baba first instrument he can justify what's an instrument and what's not.

Kek.

Please define an "instrument"

I've been a concert cellist for over a decade. Are you telling me that a piano hooked up to a computer magically isn't a piano anymore? What gives their instrument less merit than yours? Oh, right, it's nothing.

And I'm a composer for an orchestra. See I can make shit up too. And randomly hitting all the whole notes on a keyboard doesn't make you musician. So keep on giving me those delicious salty tears. So funny to think that people who make shit on their laptop call themselves musicians. Fucking kek. I'm going bed, super star. Have fun making the next "banger" by stealing other people's work, oh, I mean sampling other people's work ;)

Pic related, it's my cello. Digital instruments are just as good as traditional instruments

I got you now, faggot. I can spend all day playing Mozart's 25th with my community orchestra, then come home and listen to Young the Giant and Alesso. Just because you're a talentless hack doesn't mean you have to shit on other people's methods for producing art, which music objectively is.

Cringe

Kurt didnt know shit besides open chord names he just listened to a lot of beatles and could write a melody