ITT: Only the most essential, most influential death metal albums. No obscure hidden gems. Those are really cool...

ITT: Only the most essential, most influential death metal albums. No obscure hidden gems. Those are really cool, but I'm trying to get into the genre, and I want to hear the essentials first. I want to hear the most popular, famous, and important death metal albums.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CBt-mwGtvHc
youtube.com/watch?v=4wtvZ4u9iq8
youtube.com/watch?v=WncIDZcroP8
youtube.com/watch?v=aHA8JyIzaBE
youtube.com/watch?v=1sFT_kt-04M
youtube.com/watch?v=RnddLkpLEM4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This came out before Scream Bloody Gore. Some will argue that its a thrash album, but it's definitely a landmark death metal album and absolutely essential to understanding the genre.

This is probably the best Obituary album, and its a very iconic American death metal album.

>only give me the most popular accessible shit

I never said accessible. I just want to get the essentials out of the way before digging deeper.

if altars of madness doesn't get you into death metal, the genre isn't for you

Autopsy- Severed Survival

youtube.com/watch?v=CBt-mwGtvHc
youtube.com/watch?v=4wtvZ4u9iq8
youtube.com/watch?v=WncIDZcroP8

I think leprosy is a more important death album

And a good album is cancer death shall rise (I think it's called)

If that's not it just look up cancer full album and it should be a similar name. It's a great album and similar to death I believe every fan of death metal needs to listen to it

Essential technical death metal.

youtube.com/watch?v=aHA8JyIzaBE

Not the first Cannibal Corpse album, but this is the one where they really came into their sound.

>American Death Metal
Superior Swedish Death Metal coming through.

youtube.com/watch?v=1sFT_kt-04M

Death metal died in the 90s.

>tfw you will never be a basement dweller in the 90s listening to Obituary while you play DOOM on your computer

It didn't, though.

as a sidenote, if you're absolutely new, I think it'd be easier and more interesting if you did it by regional scene, as in getting the representative or canonical releases of the big osdm hotspots. This lets you categorize your knowledge and get to know the songwriting and sonic tropes of different scenes to see how they went on to influence a bunch of later metal. The big scenes would probably be Florida, Swedish, Finnish and NY death metal but really every country has a few releases worth hearing in terms of 'essentials'

with that in mind a primer of the most entry level stuff would look something like

Florida
>Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
>Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
>Deicide - Legion
>Cynic - Focus
>Obituary - Cause of Death
Swedish
>Dismember - Like an Everflowing Stream
>Entombed - Left Hand Path
>At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul (Red in the Sky is way, way better tho)
>Edge of Sanity - Crimson
Finnish
>Demilich - Nespithe
>Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
>Convulse - World Without God
NY
>Incantation - Onward to Golgotha
>Immolation - Close to a World Below
>Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
>Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated

>Florida
>forgetting Death
Otherwise good, though.

SotS is so bad it isn't even worthy of being recommended as an entry level album.

because it was right in the op lol
agreed desu but eh might as well include it

>death metal
Black Metal is the only real metal. Everything else is for posers.

>it was right in the op
I'm sorry. I'm drunk.

>SotS is so bad

Why?

all good answers, nice thread

Metalcore

This is the album that made death metal "click" for me. But not until I had listened to it several times.

It's only value is instant gratification. It has zero re-listenability or staying power. It's junk food metal.

Oh.

What makes it instantly gratifying? If something is instantly gratifying, why does it warrant being called bad regardless of "staying power"?

Nice bait. Here's your (You) and the rec you were looking for.

The appeal is just "dude this shit rips lmao" and nothing beyond that. If something has no depth to its appeal it becomes boring very fast.

melodeath for the most part is a concept that is contrary to what makes death metal interesting in the first place. it's pop sensibility in terms of song structuring and riff articulation/phrasing applied to death metal, when osdm, after it had broke off from thrash to carve out its own identity, was predicated on a type of songwriting that is antithetical to that type of basic songwriting to begin with

Pretty much every Carcass album is amazing, but this one is their absolute masterpiece and changed the death metal/grindcore scene

This is an essential album. It's pure brutality and speed.

Is that to say anything with "basic songwriting" is bad? What is the distinction between basic songwriting and complex songwriting? Is "pop sensiblity" dictated solely by the complexity of a song or album's composition? What exactly is the concept of death metal to being with?

I thought the same of Nails and Emperor. A lot of people would say they don't think the same of Nails and Emperor.

This one's super oldschool sounding. It's so good that it's considered a cult classic by fans of every extreme metal genre, not just exclusively death metal fans. It's an absolute cult classic must-listen.

youtube.com/watch?v=RnddLkpLEM4

Black metal is possibly the most poser-filled metal subgenre there is, faggot. Eat shit and die.

Nails yes, but at least they don't have pop melodies and song structures. I'd disagree with Emperor (their first album at least).

It's weird how a genre that's supposed to be some kind of weight of counterculture attracts the most vapid of fans, complete with all the criticisms and praises of somebody that doesn't appreciate music.

Okay again, what are pop melodies and strong structures? There are so many roads we can go down here, depending on your definition.

Yeah I agree (if you're saying black metal attracts vapid fans) because it's pretty much either edgy little kids thinking they're metal because every song is gargling about Satan or hipsters who think they're quirky because they listen to Awojrqowfpwfjapojuorthon demo tapes recorded by a turd

This
Neat-o mate, but it's not one that best represents the genre imo

Literally any Death album will do man, my personal gem is Human.

Pic related is probably one of the top 3 you need to check out, no doubt about it

>complete with all the criticisms and praises of somebody that doesn't appreciate music

I was going to post this one but I couldn't decide to put it or Cause of Death, both are absolute essentials

As much as I like black metal, I admit it's given a bad rep by edgy kids and hipsters, who happen to make up at the very least 30% by my own estimates. They're pretty easy to weed out though, as soon as they start praising the edgy lyrics or the necro sound instead of the underlying musical quality, you've got them identified

>maybe if i put a meme arrow before something i already said it'll make it seem more smarter than it already were

No, basic songwriting or outright primitivism are not in themselves worse than complex music, however way that may be understood. But to me melodeath is a straight up dilution, in terms of death metal, of what the music is otherwise able to evoke because (good, or at least interesting) death metal songwriting is done in a way where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

This is because a riff in death metal should contribute to the whole as a means; this is contrasted from popular music tropes (and by extension melodeath that takes after pop modalities) in that a riff or section are ends in themselves that do not necessarily contribute to a wholistic structure

It's probably way more than 30% of the fans, EVERY person I've met, irl and on the internet who likes black metal is either a hipster or an edgy kid.

Sure.

But yeah I like black metal too, I'm kind of just reluctant to admit so because the fans are such cancer and I don't want to get lumped in with them

How many people have you met irl and on the internet that likes black metal?

I know OP mentioned no "hidden gems", but this is neither a hidden gem nor an essential, but if you like a little bit of Egyptian flavor with your death metal, In Their Darkened Shrines is a must. A brutal technical death album

Sucks to hear that man, I'm guessing east coast?

You ever wonder if the reason you think all black metal fans are cancer is because you won't define the genre as anything else besides who listens to it? I mean, if more people like you just said they like black metal because of _______, there maybe wouldn't be that perception in the first place?

Again, these all seem like the concerns of a very vapid person.

Nah, I live in the south and the stereotypes are true, a lot of people here are dumb

There's 3 kinds of people where I live
>rednecks
>hipsters
>ultimate, flaming, raging, agonizingly emo kids

retardation is a real problem i see

Essential Death Thrash.