Opinions on the new Star Trek?

So what's the consensus on this?

I saw it last night with my mom (yeah, I know) and I thought it was pretty good. I'd give it 7/10
My mom has been a Star Trek fan since forever; she even called her childhood dog Spock. She never liked TNG but she really likes the latest series of Star Trek films.
I thought it was a decent film. It was fun, good special effects etc. I also didn't see the twist coming; I knew Idris Elba was supposed to be in it but I kept waiting for him to show up. I didn't twig he was Krall the whole time until they revealed it.
I also thought the tribute to Leonard Nimoy wasn't *too* hamfisted, although I'm surprised they didn't do one for Anton Yelchin (then again I didn't stick around to see if they had one at the end of the credits or not). Also for what it's worth, she really likes Chris Pine as Kirk.
I thought he was alright in it but personally I thought Karl Urban's performance wasn't the best we've seen.

BONUS QUESTION: Do you think Simon Pegg's Scottish accent is convincing? I heard two hipsters saying it sounded fake as hell in the men's room afterwards, but my mom (whose own mother was Scottish) said it sounded legit to her.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YB28WMv7wUE&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Didnt even plan on seeing it based on the dull first two and shitty marketing. Went w my ol' dad and was pleasantly surprised: It's good. Best since First Contact easily. Not perfect, but stellar direction, especially action sequences and sense of scale, and classic, campy sorta feel.

>stellar direction, especially action sequences and sense of scale, and classic, campy sorta feel
This is exactly what I liked about it. It doesn't take itself too seriously but also doesn't take the piss. There was a refreshing lack of the lens flares its predecessors are known for and overall it just feels like Star Trek.

That is a bitching poster.

It's definitely the best of the trilogy, but then again that's not saying much.

Saw it yesterday, it was ok. The only thing really obvious was simon pegg being the cuck he is and writing himself a romantic subplot with an exotic alien wife who will cuck him with the captain.

Going to go check it out tonight actually. Pissed I missed my opportunity to see it in 3D.

Was too shaky cam.

Didn't make a lick of sense either. I don't remember much but the federation just sending Kirk's crew into there because of that random bitch's complaint was absurd. What happened to random bitch's crew?

Why was Krall pissed? What did he seek to gain?

It was decent, nothing groundbreaking, but not bad. I liked how it was a bit closer to the classic series than the first two, but the CGI in some scenes was garbage.

I was legitimately bored pretty much all the way through. I was told it was like an extended Star Trek episode - go somewhere random, random stuff happens, randomly fix problem, leave - and I didn't realise this was exactly what I didn't want until I was given it. It was, to me, just dull as fuck. No new character development or stories in a greater narrative and no good villain AGAIN.

It wasn't awful but worse than 2, which I thought started off strong and got weaker. Really liked the first one too but I think they've lost it.

BONUS QUESTION: There isn't a single Scottish accent anymore than a single "American" accent. Pegg's accent is consistent and therefore it's good. Glasgow has a much harsher accent than Edinburgh and they're, like, 30 min away from each other.

I'm from Northern Ireland and our regional accents change in a 10 minute drive.

>I'm from Northern Ireland and our regional accents change in a 10 minute drive.

I was just in Northern Ireland. The north coast area is gorgeous.

Long Live Bobby Sands

>Was too shaky cam.
> the federation just sending Kirk's crew into there because of that random bitch's complaint was absurd
Agreed
>What happened to random bitch's crew?
She never had a crew, she was working for Krall the whole time.
>Why was Krall pissed? What did he seek to gain?
He was pissed because he thought the Federation just abandoned him on that bumfuck planet. He went insane after artificially prolonging his life for like 100 years. He was also a soldier for years before the Federation was created, and he thought they were a bunch of pussies. But yeah his motivations were a bit retarded; he was basically the "generic insane terrorist baddie" stock character.
I'm from the south, small world.
Dude you don't just say that; just because he's from the North doesn't make him like Bobby Sands lol

You are now reminded that Justin Lee was brought on after Nimoy died and before filming began.

Still a nice movie but it has the worst of all JJ treks fucked up angles.

>North Coast area is gorgeous

Will pass it on to my folks, thanks.

>Long live Bobby Sands

ehhh.... staying out of that one.

I'm Canadian, I have no dogs in the fight. Sands seems like a badass.

This faggot in pic related however... why does he even have a mural. He died of overdose.

It was just before my time - I was single digits in the the 80s. Him getting elected as an Member of Parliment while in prison is an excellent part of our history though, even if I'm a (non-serioous) Prod.

>Canadian
>no dogs in the fight
That's interesting, because there are a lot of people of Ulster Scots descent over there (what the Americans call "Scots Irish"). Most Canadians I've seen in such threads on other boards have a more loyalist outlook.
>from star trek to northern ireland
ah, Sup Forums

Yeah, a real big fuck you to Thatcher.

The entire mess is such a shame though.

Tons of ulster scots yeah. I grew up catholic though. I don't care either way, and the republic can't even afford the north if they joined in anyway.

There is no real excuse for loyalism other than worrying for catholic mismanagement/retribution though

Star Trek Beyond was impressively mediocre. Northern Ireland is much more interesting.

It's funnt though because my parents are both Brits who moved over in the 70s and my ma was ostractised from finding work etc. from BOTH sides simply because she didn't allign with either. She was a trained nurse for fuck's sake. There reached a point when Norn Iron just became a little self contained, self propogating melting pot.

One of my ma's "fondest" memories was being held up at an army checkpoint in an ambulence literally keeping a newborn baby alive through CPR because both sides were acting like dicks.

Why would anyone willingly move to NI during the 70s

>There is no real excuse for loyalism other than worrying for catholic mismanagement/retribution though
Well I mean that's the curx of the entire ideology. They're not wrong on the mismanagement part, especially considering the republic was a borderline catholic theocracy for most of its existence. I just think them trying to justify their position as anything other than right of conquest sounds retarded. Like calling themselves the "indigenous people of Ulster" etc. I know not many of them do this, but still.
Just makes me mad desu.
Look at this mural, for example. It's a giant "WE WUZ KINGZ"-esque middle finger to actual Irish culture and mythology.
That's funny because my da's side were originally German prods who converted to catholicism and joined the 'RA and my ma's side were Irish/Scottish catholics who joined the Army.

The icing on the cake is the random scratches on the stone in lieu of actual Ogham

I CAN'T STAND IT
I KNOW YOU PLANNED IT

Seriously though, that scene was great.

Dad was a Cambridge phd student just out and they were hiring. Universities were generally considered "safe areas"

That's kinda romantic in a dark way. Do you think they got off on the whole rebellion thing? Not that I'm encouraging you to wonder about your folks' sex life. this isn't /r9k/

I thought the action was terrible.

It was one of the worst 3D conversions I've seen since Clash of the Titans.

The plot barely made any sense and was filled with gaps of logic.

Spent way to much time with the new white alien chick.

And worst of all I was bored.

Karl Urban was great as always though.

Some of the murals in the 70s/80s were legit works of art. I mean SERIOUSLY impressive. They've been torn down now and the stuff that remains are like giant GCSE art projects in pastel. Awful.

its pretty bad its all over the place

holy shit that isn't real ogham? kek

I guess after a few hundred years, Ulster Scots have a right to call themselves native - but they can't reject the notion that they're not indigenous.

That said, weren't indigenous irishmen nomadic and the scots settlers who built settlements?

Great movie, needed even more Bones.

We're the biggest mongrel "race" yet. Vikings, Normans, Saxons... hell there's evidence that remnants of the Spanish Armada interbred down South.

It shits on the lore.
>Viewscreens are now windows
>You can go to warp without a deflector dish
>The NX was the first warp 5 ship and the first to be rated to handle a transporter rated for life but now some warp 4 ship was

Tonally, it's the closest thing to the old show that they've gotten to yet. It's a very solid action movie and does a good job of throwing little easter eggs out for the fans.

However, it's not perfect and it does have some problems. The whole concept of the swarm being this insurmountable force that is conveniently disabled by loud music felt a bit too much like they wrote themselves into a corner. Plus it felt like a hamfisted excuse to keep the tradition of using Beastie Boys songs in the newer movies alive.

But I can forgive its flaws as it is infinitely better than Into Darkness. I've seen it twice now and thoroughly enjoyed myself both times. I'd like to see them even maybe competently mix in other genres like suspense or political intrigue in newer installments.

Why does a spaceship need speed to produce lift? It doesn't have wings.

>The NX was the first warp 5 ship

It still is. I believe the line in the movie was the Franklin was the first ship capable of warp 4. So in theory they could still both exist in the same timeline and make sense, one coming before the other.

>and the first to be rated to handle a transporter rated for life

Again, I think there's a line of dialogue from Scotty where he said it was basically a cargo transporter that he had to modify to make it able to "safely" transport living beings.

The thing about them trying to go to warp after the dish was destroyed was bullshit though

>It was one of the worst 3D conversions I've seen since Clash of the Titans.

Jesus, people still bother with 3D? Do you really feel that much more immersed in it?

I saw the 3D which I usually don't care for, just because the showtimes worked out, and it wasnt bad. Kinda fun at point, not as muddy or washed out color-wise as I expected.

I love it. They all do good homages to the original characters.

How did the little drone ships have warp?

Plot gave it to them

I thought it was the best since VI myself (I didn't like first contact as much as some, but understand why some do)

It easily up there with some of the best trek movies - not as good as II, IV, or VI, but right there with the next level of movies

Agreed, it was explained.

and you can go to warp without a deflector. Just that at any time a tray particle can ruin your day.

They didn't, starfleet decided to build a massive space station with minimal defence right on the edge of an unexplored nebula which happened to have the planet in it

>starfleet decided to build a massive space station with minimal defence

It actually looked pretty well defended. The enemy simply overwhelmed them and like the enterprise they were able to completely bypass the shields.

This film was so fucking cliché.

I scattered my popcorn all over the theatre in protest.

Fuck JJ.

is there a decent version on torrents yet?

I expected the obnoxious "Sabotage" music to just be a bad trailer mistake, not a key point to the plot. It's dumb shit like this that ruins movies these days. Also the tiresome magical warrior empowered female that doesn't need rescued, when she really does. We can't have unmolested movies anymore.

If you don't have a deflector your ship has 100% chance of being wrecked when you go to warp.

>We

Speak for yourself you dweeb. That was a fun moment and Jaylah was cool.

youtube.com/watch?v=YB28WMv7wUE&feature=youtu.be

>If you don't have a deflector your ship has 100% chance of being wrecked when you go to warp.

Regular shields should be able to cover for it. The deflector array is the "always on" lower power particle shield that protects the ship from space debris. The combat sheilds are typically not on during travel due to the power drain but they should protect the ship adequately from debris.

It's a fucking brilliant film. Prior to this afternoon I've been saying the best of the new trilogy but I was 2009 today and it's actually getting better with age it's so good.

Karl Urban never got the lines to be as good as was in 2009 but he was still great and Chris Pine finally came into the character of Kirk and nailed it now they've played down the edgy rebel riding on luck shit.

Scottys accent was great in Beyond. The fact his accent slips very occasionally should be nothing strange to people from the UK since Scottish and English accents get so mixed up and chopped and changed around the border. It was much better than James Doohan's (absolute legend RIP Best Scotty) let's be fair.

Action was very silly ofcourse but great and absolutely spectacular in the cinema also the textbook mega cringe female warrior cliche was actually pretty good for once.

Kek Belfastfag here. Amusing thread. Star Trek says we'll have a united Ireland by 2033 thank God WW3 never happened in the 90s either.

>I scattered my popcorn all over the theatre in protest
This is so autistic I can almost believe it

It's a good sign for how far NI's come in the last ten years that you got out unharmed.

>Mom didn't like TNG

Opinion IMMEDIATELY discarded.

Also "asymetrical warp fields" disperses small particles, according to Rick Sternbach. This is how smaller warp capable craft functioned without a deflector array dish. Really it just gave them an excuse to get more variety in ship designs and make the inclusion of visible deflector arrays option.

The deflector array is like a "luxury" component for the larger long range starships that are traveling at warp 24/7. Most other warp capable ships seem to have much simpler solutions to space dust.