Would it be blasphemous to come out and say that The Witcher 3 is one of the GOAT RPG's of all time...

Would it be blasphemous to come out and say that The Witcher 3 is one of the GOAT RPG's of all time? I am blown away by how great it is. So funny that Mass Effect failed so badly in the face of true masterpieces like this one.

OFFICIAL TOP TEN SINGLE-PLAYER RPG POWER RANKINGS:

>10. Skies of Arcadia
>9. Phantasy Star IV
>8. Final Fantasy VIII
>7. Neverwinter Nights
>6. Fallout 1&2 (I'm cheating and including both right here)
>5. Star Wars: KOTOR
>4. Morrowind
>3. Fallout: New Vegas
>2. Witcher 3
>1. Crono Trigger

Blood borne is classified as an rpg so, no.

if only bloodborne wasn't garbage.

Ehhhh it's a Dark Souls game. Is it really an RPG?

I wouldn't go as far as say as garbage, but I digress.

>FF8
yeah no
goodbye sir

VIII was great, man.

Mass effect 1-3

>mfw not including a Zelda or Tales game.
>mfw i have no face

>if only bloodborne wasn't garbage.
>There are no gods, only ancient beings toying with humanity and using them as incubators
Seems redpilled as fuck to me.

Zelda is "adventure"

>Would it be blasphemous to come out and say that The Witcher 3 is one of the GOAT RPG's of all time?
Only if you're a nigger, it's the literal pinnacle of RPG's, now it only remains to see what CDPRed does with Cyberpunk.

. Final Fantasy VIII
You put FF8 in a top ten RPG list and not Xenogears or FF9? Your list is pretty solid but god damn FF8 was pretty fucking mediocre compared to the other games on your list.

I am super amped for Cyberpunk. Has potential to be fucking sublime. CDPR is the new SquareSoft and sits on the throne at the moment.

So we're just gonna go ahead and ignore Skyrim huh? AND Oblivion too?

>FF
>8

Though I'm happy to see based MW on there, and no oblivious or skyrym.

FO1/2 would be nearer my top. FNV in the top 15 (but not top 10 probably).

As a playable *game* Chrono Trigger wouldn't make my list, but the music is 10/10.

I'm probably a faggot for saying this, but I found KOTOR disappointing. There were too many points where I found myself saying "BULLSHIT. Fuck this" and 360 and walked away. But eventually came back. 'Flawed masterpiece' would be my final judgment. And some of the flaw is deficiency in the SW expanded universe- which the game couldn't avoid.

>8. Final Fantasy VIII

FF8 but no Persona 3/4/5?

witcher 3 has bad gameplay. A shame because it's almost good, but movement outside combat in clunky, enemy AI sucks/is simple and hitboxes are broken. Plus on normal difficulty you just spam light slash and quen.

That and quests are largely the same shit, it would be terrible is the story and world wasn't great.

>Absolute dogshit
>mildly entertaining dogshit

yeah, theres a reason.
nothing wrong with the games, but nothing really great about them.

(In reverse order)

>So we're just gonna go ahead and ignore Skyrim huh
No, the only reason Skyrim is even relevant is the legacy of TOS, if we're going by gameplay quality, TOS ended with Morrowind.

where is Morrowind? where are gothic I and II? you fucking noob

Your list is pretty shitty. There's much I could talk about but the most disgusting is New Vegas. Listen, I'll admit, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas have their pros and cons, and while I prefer 3, since it has WAY the fuck more content in the vanilla game and you can fix the biggest problem (no iron sights) with mods, I can understand why someone would like New Vegas better.

But it has absolutely NO fucking business being on this list if Fallout 4 isn't. It blows them both out of the water. I know, everyone wants to be all hipstery and cool and say older shit was better, but I love everything Bethesda puts out, I play other games to pass the time between Bethesda games, and Fallout 4 is by FAR my favorite game ever.

Also, I think Oblivion deserves a place on this list.

Oh, and Chrono Trigger? For it's time? Far and AWAY the best RPG. It was beyond amazing and definitely the best RPG ever made for many years afterward. But if nothing else topped it by then, Morrowind did. And many games since then have.

Agreed. Witcher 3 is just straight up untouchably good. I was thinking about Cyberpunk today.

>I was thinking about Cyberpunk today.
I know CDPR works on a "it's ready when it's ready" schedule, but it's been so long since the last update now, I'm starting to lose faith.

>penis/gun/sword
>worst waifu ever
>every store in game exact same inventory
>rinoa
>ear-bleeding homage to 2001/Blue Danube
>"time compression" makes no sense, gives me no reason to care
>fucking rinoa

On the plus side, Laguna and a somewhat interesting card game, but that's about it.

On the minus, rinoa.

I've never played Xenogears, but would like to.

I dunno man, I just really enjoyed FFVIII. The serious tone of the game and the nice technology/fantasy bonus was a big hit with me. Nostalgic and Japanese, it brings me to a place that I know will never be made like that in another video game anymore.

WoW is an online game. Is it really an RPG?

FO4 is a great game and I sunk a TON of time into it, but it's not a Top 10 greatest RPG of all time, not even close. The game felt half-finished and some of the mechanics were clunky a fuck. It's also Bethesda's most blatant attempt to shove their fist up their customer's asses with their nickel and dime bullshit workshop DLC (Far Harbor and Nuka World were pretty amazing though, I'll admit). I'm still on the "New Vegas" is the best train and I would jizz my pants if Bethesda did a New Vegas remaster. Finally, you seem like an ok person. I hope you're having a good day.

eh skyrim is better than morrowwind but ok

>but would like to.
It's 2017, you don't have an excuse anymore, ePSXe + a quick google search for the iso.

Fuhhhhhh I forgot Shin Megami Tensei:Nocturne on there. God dammit.

read the list skank

>skyrim is better than morrowwind
>t. someone who never played morrowind

Didn't know about any TES games before Skyrim. Still one of the best games I've ever played. Counting it as a standalone game, the lore is crazy, exploration is amazing, mods are fantastic, immersive as fuck.

>that feel when you meet fat dwarf
>when skooma junky dad says "brb, afk"
>when you realize who kill neverarar
>the beginning of all things is
>alm = kill
>si = kill
>vi = kill

Why do you hate Rinoa? Strange complaint.

And, as obtuse as it was, the junction system is too much fun to abuse

If it helps at all, I forgot to say Nocturne? Persona's been on the mind recently, for obvious reasons

If it's your personal favorite then that's legit obviously. I just think most people would argue FF8 isn't a top 10 RPG, or even a top 25 for that matter. It had some awesome musical tracks though (Man with the Machine Gun Arm is pretty sick).

As for Xenogears, give it a shot. It's a fucking classic. The combat system is fun and different and being able to call on your gear during battle is a lot of fun. The main thing, however, is the story. It's fucking amazing and really, really deep. There's a ton of lore you can dive into after playing the game and many YouTubers have spent hours discussing the story's finer points. The characters are (mostly) really good as well and you will absolutely have feels multiple times during the game.

loll loll loll

My qt gf at the time, insisted MW was shit. Because everything all brown and grey, and she was more into MLP colors.

>fixable with mods, that weren't available at the time

Could not agree more

No, dummy, I'm saying that at that moment in my life FFVIII had a special feeling to it, and no one is going to make a similar game to it today that will inspire the amount of fun I had with it. Does that make sense? I'm not talking about emulating it.

I agree with you but I still didn't get that feel that I got when I first played Skyrim guess I'm just a huge elder scrolls fan like that, now don't get me wrong The Witcher is better overall as everything goes I guess time has something to do with it too, makes me wonder what would Bethesda do with The Elder Scrolls 6 to beat The Witcher 3 I can't wait for it.

Not the one you replied to, but i think the biggest reason why Morrowind is rated that high is because of nostalgia. The game itself was full of bugs, etc.

>The game itself was full of bugs, etc.
Yes it is, but even so, it's the best TOS game to date.
Also, community patches exist that fix most of the bugs without altering the gameplay.

I think he meant you should emulate Xenogears. Pretty sure its on PSN. I still have the original PS version (not the Greatest Hits version, the original) and I see people selling it on ebay for around $100. I could totally do that, but like you and FF8 it holds a special place in my heart and I wouldn't sell it. I get it, OP.

Witcher was crap. Way too many dispshit quests and the crap you can craft after scouring the earth for recipes is inferior to shit you can buy. Also the villain turns out to be a pathetic fag who gets owned by some old fuck - who has to duke it out for hours with some foglet fag - after his super powerful elderblood friend runs from the scary wild hunt for the entire game which makes no sense whatsoever. Gwent was the best part of an otherwise shitty game.

The galaxy map of ME alone is superior to that pos game. Also The witcher better than KotoR and Fallout 2. And DA:O not in top10. Yeah you don't know what the fuck you're talking about faggot.

Are you 10??? Final Fantasy 3 (VI) greater than them all. Secret of Mana definitely belongs on that list. Where the fornication is Breath of Fire???

TES6 will probably be online only and free to play. And have much prettier graphics. And all NPCs marked "essential".

I knew that FFVIII was going to be the most controversial.

So what if he's 10? It's his list. I'm not gonna say I agree with it but the games on there don't suck. At least he didn't list Depression Quest.

Ok maybe I went too far, sorry OP. I'm currently playing Depression Quest right now. It's one of them real life games and it really sucks.

That would be the dumbest shit ever, I highly doubt that anyways matter a fact I bet it will never happen, they didn't make elder scrolls online for no reason, and everything is free to play for us faggot I pirate shit.

>The game itself was full of bugs, etc.

It is a Bethesda game after all.

Morrowind's held in high regard because it gives you a world to fuck around in, and have fun. The dungeons were designed to be the things that they are, rather than dungeons.

You have all the flexibility you could ask for from a spellcrafting and enchanting system. Wanna be an invisible flying lizardman that shoots fire from his dick? Go right the fuck ahead, as long as you can work out how.

You can straight up murder main quest NPCs and make the game unbeatable for yourself. Do you think Bethesda of today would ever risk having someone not be able to complete their story? Fuck no they wouldn't! They're pretty fucking loathe to risk letting players have much in the way of choice at all given how FO4 was.

There is no quest arrow.

No shining beacon to lead you by the nose. I went back last year to try replaying Morrowind and I fucking hated it at first, but then I found myself searching the journal, and finding out about the world without it being spoonfed to me.

People like when you get quests, and not destinations.

MW is not at all nostalgia

Still going to agree with him that Morrowind is superior to the others. I was a bad man in that game. Looking back, it's funny how many innocents I slaughtered just to take their stuff. I didn't do that as much in the later Fallout/TES series.

Completely worthless. Useless. Adds nothing to the story. Her entire reason for existing is that the protagonist needed a gf. And she fucks everything up, over and over again.

By far, the shittiest waifu of FF1-9
(I've not played anything past IX)

What's funny is that, when it came out, people were jacking off all over it and saying how awesome the combat system was, the Guardian Force element, card game, etc. For some reason, time just hasn't been kind to it. Just to be clear, it's NOT a shit game. It's actually fun to play but I think people have a problem with the story. It's a great example of poorly executed ambition. For an FF game, it was pretty convoluted and left a lot of loose ends and there were some parts that just dragged.

Well but then you can argue that there were so much more games that were great after community patches were released.
A good example for that one would be Gothic 3, which was almost unplayable at release but once there were patches it turned into one of the greatest RPG games of all times.
Also Morrowind was simply hyped because of Skyrim.

I've probably spent more than 500 hours on it. Lots of replays. It's old enough by now that I don't feel like playing any more, but one of the ones that stands alone.

>morrowind hyped because skyrim

wut?

>MW is not at all nostalgia
then how come your post is full of it?

yes you had more freedom and could kill main quest NPC's but that doesnt make a game good. I'd rather say that its a trait of a bad game if you are able to make it unplayable for yourself

Haha it's all good man. I only included games I've played too, I didn't cheat and list something I have no idea about, and there have to be ones that I missed.

>Also Morrowind was simply hyped because of Skyrim.
Please tell me this is bait, and some some angry teenager trying to fit in.

FFV is superior in terms of mechanics and has far more memorable characters. The only reason it's not regarded as highly, is that Square were dickfaces about localising anything back then.

EU here, so played both of them for the first time on GBA,, no nostalgia attached.

see:
Fukin n'wah

My Memories might fail me but as far as i know Morrowind got alot of attention when Skyrim was announced. People were taken back to the time when pc games were simple and didnt need highend graphics in order to compete.

I'm not saying Skyrim is a better game, I'm simply saying Skyrim brought alot of attention back to MW

Better mechanics, yes.
More "fun" to play, yes.

But none of the characters really stood out, for me. VIII chars I remember more vividly by far, even if what I remember is how badly they sucked dicks.

Exactly the gameplay is complete shit, graphics and story are good. Every time i explain that to someone it reminds me why games are shit these days.

Exactly skyrim is shit witout mods.

Localization was an issue even into the late 90's and early 2000's. Xenogears has some pretty awkward dialogue that just wasn't translated properly from Japanese. Thankfully it's not constantly happening in the game, but when it does it's pretty obvious.

How is Skyrim shit without mods? what do mods really change besides the aspect? let's be honest dude Skyrim is one of the best games ever the story line the quests everything don't kid yourself bro.

:shrug:
>oldfag

MW was originally hyped as a superior Daggerfall, but my expectations were low because of all the problems DF had. It... consistently exceeded my expectations.

Found the board contrarian.

fuck all of you, kotor was and is the best

My first TES game was Oblivion about two years after it released. I don't have any of the warm fuzzies from growing up on it others do.

In terms of design, and actually allowing player choice it really does have Skyrim beat hands down.

What sounds more like a role playing game to you out of these two:

>You walk into a town and immediately to the resistance contact lurking in the passage between two houses. Pausing briefly to steal something from a local store. Don't ask how you knew he was there, you just do.

Or

>You walk into a town, you know you're there to make contact with a resistance member, but you need to identify and find him
>Go to the inn of course, ask the bartender about anything strange going on in the town
>Bartender tells you about a skooma den in the sewers, the guards might pay well for busting it
>Bartender says about livestock being eaten
>Bartender says about the rye harvest
>The rye harvest stands out to you, you check your journal and see that the resistance contact's name is Grain McWhiskey...

You get the idea. Which of those sounds more like an RPG?

>let's be honest
Yes, let's.

autistic story, autistic PC, autistic quests
Rinse, lather, repeat

Red dead redemption 2 and far cry 5 will be amazing open world games. Also heard the new assasins creed Is taking place in Egypt and has a massive map

I miss this feeling. The omnipresent spoon that feeds you in most games has completely changed the way video games are played. Sure, the modern trappings are nice. I'm glad that Morrowind came out in my early teens and played the shit out of it. It set the standard for open world gaming and mods. I upgraded my computer with a nice video card, RAM, processor etc and paid and put it together myself. It was a top of the line gaming rig for the time. So many memories attached to this game.

I can agree with this. The enjoyment I got out of it was more than the sum of its parts. There were some really gripping parts that were spellbinding.

V didn't see a release in the US I don't believe until later after I'd become an oldfag and too busy with life for video games. God I should have kept playing video games.

It's never too late to start again! You can grab a 3DS or some derivative pretty cheaply and just chuck something on in your lunch hour. Bravely Default and it's sequel are great for if you're after an oldschool JPRG feeling with some modern trappings. Including an encounter rate that the player can control, or even turn off if you just want to get out of this FUCKING CAVE.

Nice list. I can see why you included FFVIII, even though it's not the best RPG. But, damn was it memorable and I played it back to front. It might be the best "not the best" game ever, actually.

I always thought that was the weirdest title ever.

welcome to Sup Forums

I can't stand that place. It's on Sup Forums for a reason.

What were the best console RPGs of the PS3/360 generation?

I've always felt that the PS2 had the most consistent quality, ever.

It's named for the combat mechanic where you can use future turns all at once, and autopass those turns afterwards, or pass a turn to save it for later.

Still a stupid name, but there's some reasoning behind it.

Fucking THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS

Every Elder Scrolls game has gotten consistently better in terms of gameplay and graphics.

And that's...IT.

In terms of story, choice, quest uniqueness, character customization, character building, explorability, challenge, detail, lore, cultural depth....I could go on and on.

In those terms, every Elder Scrolls game has gotten consistently worse.

In Morrowind you could kill main quest NPCs, as someone has already mentioned. In Skyrim, if a character has ANY involvement in MINOR QUEST WHATSOEVER they're marked essential.

Morrowind had slavery in it. Fucking slavery.
In Oblivion, during the Dark Brotherhood quests, you tracked the traitor to his secret lair and found a journal full of insane ramblings and learned that he joined the Dark Brotherhood in order to get revenge because they killed his mother, who's rotting severed head he kept on a platter.

What about a quest where you had to kill a house full of people one at a time while trying to make them all believe it wasn't you doing the murdering? Or a quest where you had to get a magic ring that was so heavy you could barely lift it out of the bottom of a well without drowning?

What does Skyrim have that comes remotely close to anything like this? "Go kill this dungeon full of draugr."

It fucking sucks, and I will continue to play Bethesda, because despite all this, they still have the hugest, deepest, most explorable worlds (although I hear Witcher 3 gives Skyrim a run for its money, haven't played it yet), but they dumb down every game to appeal to an ever increasing fan base just so they can make more money. It's hard to blame them, but who's going to put out a game with that kind of depth ever again? I don't know man, I don't know.

I'm glad that no one here is whining about FFX yet.

I really really like The Witcher 3 but wtf how did you manaage to put in NWN in that list without Baldur's Gate? It was such a disappointment compared to their previous works.

So, I can agree with most of that sentiment. Morrowind is the superior of the 3. I enjoyed Oblivion and Skyrim, with Skyrim I having played the shit out of more. I really enjoy Skyrim. It's 9/10. However, there's just one piece that's missing from both the story and the combat. Both aspects approach greatness, but just doesn't quite make it. The combat needed another mechanic added in for complexity, and the story just doesn't quite on the oomph it felt like it could have achieved. The sense of adventure you get from it was great.

However, I'm a bigger Fallout fan. New Vegas is my all time favorite of all Bethesda. I liked Morrowind better than Fallout 4, but I like 4 over Skyrim.

All that being said.. I am currently playing The Witcher 3 and the quality is mind blowing. It definitely dwarfs the TES series in presentation and cinematic quality (I do think Morrowind was excellently written, apologies to it). I am all in on the Witcher, and I can't recommend it more. New classic, indeed.

Fucking. Thank you

Dude trying to tell me that liking that I could fuck up and ruin the main quest for myself was just nostalgia missed the point entirely.

.> quest where you had to kill a house full of people one at a time while trying to make them all believe it wasn't you

I totally forgot the murder house quest! That was a fucking amazing quest.

I want so badly to see them go back to their old design philosophy. Where the world was built, and then the quests happened inside it. I'm just like you, still gonna buy TES6 and FO5 when they come out, probably still gonna enjoy them. The magic's not coming back all the time radiant quests and straight line dungeons are a thing though

You still can't afford a PS4 Nigger?

In revealing myself here as a tasteless uncouth heathen, I admit to never playing Baldur's Gate with a great deal of shame. I fully understand I should have played bit 1&2. Very embarrassing.

Go play a video game nigger

Bro do you even Gwent?

You are a faggot for a few things here, sir. Chrono trigger is pure gold

omg please play it. I believe they released an enhanced edition not too long ago.

Play dwarf fortress adventurer mode it has a steep learning curve but its rewarding