Brits create the word soccer, which is slang for association in association football

>Brits create the word soccer, which is slang for association in association football
>Gets mad when people call it soccer

Why is this

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v_England_(1950_FIFA_World_Cup)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

we use football more

It spread to the entire anglo-sphere aswell

Because they are ignorant, like most euros.

Also they shit on American Football and call it handegg even though it's called Football for the same reason Association and Rugby Football are called that: because they are played on your feet and not on horse. But euros are ignorant people who watch a sport where the same 3 teams win EVERY year except the one time a bottom feeding team one (literally a 1 in 5000 chance that will never happen again)

according to the picture you fags call it soccer

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v_England_(1950_FIFA_World_Cup)

shit...they got us there, bros...

based straya

Why is Basketball and Baseball not called Football too then?

you're not allowed to kick the balls?

Yeah, blame the nix

Good point. I was just sticking to the argument that it should be called football just because it's played on your feet. Clearly the ball is being handled by hands for the most part. That would be like calling soccer (for the sake of argument) handball because you have occasional throw-ins.

because of this senpai

>ball-pwe

>Ball-coise

Is this true?

the fuck is wrong with you italy?

You can thank Mussolini for that one

football is called football because the ball is a foot long

>The same generation of Brits who created the word soccer are the same generation of Brits who get mad at people not calling it football
Sound logic.

Tbh it should be football

So should rugby then.

they do. only the idiots in aus/nz call it football. Football is Rugby League and Union.

I thought Aussie Rules Football was football.

>mfw a britbong was Muslim near me

Only for gay Southernors.

because poor people.

>Divegrass not in the image
Im disappoint.

Football doesn't refer to one sport. Soccer is football, rugby is football Gaelic football is football and American football is football. They are all different codes of football. They all originate from the same medieval sport.

its because its an old, outdated term. much like you guys saying aluminum

it comes from when rugby was called rugby football and regular football was called association football. since no one calls it rugby football anymore, the word is no longer used

Correct, only a few inbred queenslanders call rugby football these days.

Created in America, and past the time when football was used to differ between on foot and on horseback.

>when football was used to differ between on foot and on horseback
this is completely untrue btw

No it's not. A historical etymology paper release by the UK Department of Culture (among others) notes that "foot ball" or "football" most likely referred to peasant sport that were played on foot rather than on horseback.

I'm already aware of that (and those) and they are almost certainty wrong. None of their reports even have any evidence, just theorycrafting. Hell, earliest references to 'football' in English often juxtapose it agains handball rather than polo.

fake edit: baseless theorizing, not theorycrafting.

I hear cèise-ball more often but we say both.

t. Highlander

They have literal historical documents as references. It's not just some made up bullshit. There are written documents dating back hundreds of years lending themselves to the conclusions they reported.

Get fucked faggot.

Well, show me them then. The last time I looked they were just speculative, not proving/disproving anything just putting forward an alternate hypothesis.

>Aussie can't handle the Aussie bants

you know how nuclear is gets, every other nation is like water off a ducks back, but us aus cunts sting ya poof.

Soccer was mostly used by the upper class. It was disliked by the working class (the majority) back when it was used in England as well.

Same case yanks are critisized for pronouncing "tomato" incorrectly.

I love how the italians never get hate for calling it calcio

It's their language, they can call it what they like.

We literally don't give a shit. The only people who get upset when you call it soccer are the hipster yanks who prefer it to handegg.

>calling rugby football
Don't make me deport you cunt

Correct

>aluminum

Aluminum is colloquial. Aluminum is used in academic settings here.

We call it "balun" here in Dalmatia so that image is wrong.

>even in late 1800s the brits knew that if anyone else played their sport they wouldn't be the best of it

Soccer is a term invented by the British, spread to the anglosphere then immediately dropped by the British themselves to bully the other English countries into never being good at Football.

Think I'm wrong?
South Africa/New Zealand: Cricket countries
Canada: Adopted Hockey and became number 1
Australia: Rugby
United states: Made their own world sports and became the best at them

Literally all the Anglosphere has picked up their own sports, became some of the worlds best if not the worlds best at them, while poor old dad isn't even a top 15 football country.

It should be called footegg because it's played with an egg.

Come to think of it, so should rugby "football". Both union and league.

It's called rugby football, and you're allowed to kick the ball a lot more than American football.

>no one calling it divegrass
Disappointed 2bh

calcio > football >>>>>> soccer

You're wrong about 6 times in this post.

It was only ever called Soccer by posh university students, the same people that called Rugby "Ruggers". The name Soccer has always been seen as incredibly poncy and gay.

So? We created a lot of words, doesn't mean we should use them. We don't call a car a table just because we may have invented the word.

>Ruggers
I always thought it referred to the people playing it.

tell me in wat ways am I wrong?

He just did you dumb nigger.

I just looked this shit up, Cricket is big and South Africa/New Zealand seem to be in the top 3 of Cricket every year, it's sports their care about

I can't find an actual serious hockey world rating system, but one I found had Canada on top, and come on. Most NHL players, the best domestic hockey league in the fucking world are Canadian, the all time best Gretzky born in fucking Canada.

Only thing I seem to be currently wrong about is Australia and Rugby, as England is currently better ranked then Australia, but I wasn't wrong because Australia is top 3 in Rugby in the world, and has won more world cups in rugby then England.

United states made 2 world sports, Baseball and Basketball, and dominates both of them.

Also I guess i was wrong, Englands is a top 15 Football Country, barely. Ranking in at 13. Not even a top 10.

IN THEIR OWN SPORT

You implied that football wasn't taught abroad because only Britain wanted to play it even though the sport is popular because of British people teaching the game and founding clubs all over the world.

You implied American sports weren't just off shoots of already established English sports.

You thought cricket was the most popular sport in South Africa and not football. You thought cricket was the most popular sport in New Zealand and not rugby. You thought rugby was the most popular sport in Australia and not cricket/AFL.

>Dunderhead leaf reads something on Wikipedia
>Assumes it is the truth

Show us a reputable source claiming that it is called football because it is played on foot

>New Zealand #1 in Rugby
>Most popular sport

my bad, but they're still winners, in a sport they care about more then anything else, the Aussies are the winners in the AFL, they're winners in Cricket, and I'm talking about popularity in the Anglosphere.

What the black natives in South Africa likes isn't what the English Dysphoria in South Africa likes, which is mainly Cricket. Something they're once again some of the greatest in the world.

Meanwhile Englands biggest sport, by far without any debate from anyone is Football, their own creation, and they can't even bother to be in the top 10.

isn't there a stadium called Soccer Stadium in England?

Not that I'm aware of, ironically enough Derby used to play in a stadium called 'The Baseball Ground'.

Of course not, but the generation of Brits who complain about the word "soccer" often seem to be under the impression that it's an American word. I think that's what OP is complaining about. It's like when when we see a foreigner complain about American culture then put on his jeans, play his favorite Kanye West song, and walk to his local McDonald's.

did baseball used to be another word for cricket or another similar style sport?

This board would be 500% better if we shipped out all the bluefags to . Heck, just the ameriposters would do.