/prod/- Yeezy Edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

or any other similar website. GIVE and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M&list=RDatvtBE6t48M#t=1764

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/aaeyc5s5
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL40FC455C4DD64B6E
clyp.it/j5fk14jh
clyp.it/wts5kqkx
clyp.it/mpumajtt
clyp.it/uytqalc0
clyp.it/j0oruvym
clyp.it/wcwwqm1u
clyp.it/seyj3dbi
clyp.it/iav55xoi
youtu.be/UZmtjeb3uck?t=4m43s
clyp.it/sidrhtyo
clyp.it/k5fz4wzy
clyp.it/su5nfb23
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Should I buy Omnisphere or is Serum or Sylenth enough as a general vst?

beat for a friend, is this any good? I know the hi hats are annoying, what I should do with them? lower the volume? eq out some high end? use them more sparsely?

clyp.it/aaeyc5s5

high pass filter

hats are too busy my man, simplify.

Just pirate it. If you feel bad for getting shit for free you can buy it later.

Does anyone here use a qunexus? It looks like an updated version of those Buchla style touchplate keyboards.

I don't wanna get any viruses on my new macbook though my g. Like last year I bought Ableton Suite instead of pirating. Money not an issue...I just don't wanna buy something I'm gonna waste.

What makes a track sound professional? All my tracks sound amateurish compared to Kanye's beats and Madlib's
shit? I also think it might be in my head. Like I only think it's subpar because I know all the subtle flaws.

Which Kayne tracks? Some of his tracks sound amateur. Madlib is untouchable though, I've never heard someone better in that style desu.

>I don't wanna get any viruses on my new macbook

oh i didn't realise you were retarded.

buy a dictaphone and hum simple melodies into it. in a year, buy another, and make some harmonies. show your mother, she'll be so proud. go get 'em tiger

that's what mastering is for

Funny

Lol go learn more about how torrents work before being an asshole Kid

Being good at literally everything, post a sample

My votes for serum

I've got sylenth1 but imo it's not something you'd want as an only synth, it's very much just for bread and butter stuff. Very worth having though

Listen to this:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL40FC455C4DD64B6E

It sounds so official and clean.

You're telling me mastering does all that? How do you master? Is it as frustrating as mixing?

see

you sound like a dad from 2003.

clyp.it/j5fk14jh

I dont know what the fuck I'm doing with this one, any pointers? I cant seem to get the balance right.

clyp.it/wts5kqkx

What do peepz think of this? Had a crack at doing a kinda house-y track

I actually dig this track alot!
Could have another melody line around 1:17, like some one singing, cause i just started improvising with my voice around then, got me jammin hard.

get rid of that syncopated deadmau5 ish pluck synth, the bass is to loud.

Aren't those all just the original tracks just sped up or down?

>Kanye hosts a selection of tracks that he has sampled in his productions with DJ A-Trak providing the mix and cuts. All songs are played at around the same speed as used for sampling. As Kanye states on track 2, this is an official mixtape but the tracks don't appear to be licensed for appearance so it needs to be listed as "Partially Unofficial Release" as per Discogs guidelines.

So you're saying there's no drums or shit added to any of these tracks?

Short sample
clyp.it/mpumajtt

>tfw fucking up uni so no time for producing
I'm so tempted to just say fuck it and open fl.

it literally boils down to the decisions you make with you're samples there, rather than the cash register thing it sounded good in the bars before and maybe beats coming in would be enough to keep things engaging.

Yeah I have one. Its good for just bashing out little melodic ideas and setting the pressure / position controls to synth parameters is a lot of fun, but it is unergonomic as fuck for actual piano playing because of how short the white keys are.

Some of them appear to be chopped, but I don't think he added anything other than some voice overs and sound effects. I didn't listen to the entire thing or all the original tracks though.

It's funny knowing I'm the only female moombahton producer. Just felt like randomly saying that.

post feet pls

No

clyp.it/uytqalc0

should I give up on trying to make it to jdilla/yeezy/madlib/nujabes level? i seriously am starting to believe it's just a gift, one I do not posees and will not no matter how hard i try

better.

it's a oversaturated genre anyway. How many jazzy hip hop producers recycling the same samples, vibes and grooves do we need?

seq

Wth no. How long have you been at it?

Make a few songs every day for ten years and if you're still shit then maybe it's time to give up

just b urself

>Make a few songs every day for ten years and if you're still shit then maybe it's time to give up

Could this actually happen? That's actually depressing to think about.

Have you looked at Synthmaster 2.8? I think I got it on sale for $60 and it doesn't really leave me wanting another softsynth. It's not everybody's cup of tea, but I really like it.

I've heard it's really worth a try. Might have a look at it. Does it have a good range of presets?

Here's something I threw together a little while back, but decided to remix today to see if I've gotten any better in the past several months. I'd appreciate feedback, especially on the mix itself. I know the composition isn't especially memorable.

clyp.it/j0oruvym

Really liked it aside from the hi hats. I think they'd be passable if their rhythms weren't so distracting early on. They drew my attention away from everything else and detracted from the overall relaxed vibe of the track.

Maybe they could stand to be a little quieter, but like the other user said, simplify the rhythms and you'll be good.

That being said, I opened another tab and forgot I was listening to something somebody posted on /prod/. Good job.

Yeah, there are actually a ton of presets, but you have to pay more to get the "everything" package. I usually find myself tinkering around from scratch though because I have weird tastes. I've probably only checked out 20% of them, but all of those sounded great to my ears. Also, they have a pretty good system for sorting through them all.

what are examples of music that doesn't sound very compressed, especially in rap and electronic? im trying to train my ears to recognize it more.

Thanks bro. Might give it a go.

>just spent 5 hours recreating a 20 second intro from a song
>only just got the arrangement MOSTLY done
Jesus fuck I am slow... but at least I did learn a lot. This is a great overall workout for producing.

I think you're backwards lol

It'd be a lot easier to ask for music that sounds compressed, otherwise it would just sound... regular

Pretty much everything has got some on it, especially electronic and hip hop

it wouldn't sound regular tho, because like you said pretty much everything has got some on it, especially electronic and hip hop

Almost every song in /prod/ because /prod/ doesn't know how to use one.

Regular as in the norm for any music ever and what you're used to hearing.

Like what any performance should sound like in the first place.... a solid drum recording and performance will sound compressed even if there isn't a compressor on it....

Unless you're asking for music that sounds overly dynamic, I'm not sure what you mean to gain

you fucking kidding? I can throw together a boombap beat that sounds better than anything jdilla or madlib ever made in under 30 minutes, shit is a complete joke how easy it is. Quit and never try again faggot

i doubt that but ok

it's easy as fuck they were stupid niggers and they could do it

if you can't throw a kick snare hat and bass under a sample you're sub-nigger

post something then

suck my dick. Your beats take no craft. Every single time I post some shit here it's some garbage that took me an hour to make you kids seize out like its a masterpiece then when I post something I slaved away at it doesn't get a single bump go fuck yourself talentless hack.

I am drunk as all shit and I will still do one right now give me any sample and I'll do it

use whatever sample you want, just make something that authentically sounds better than what j dilla or madlib can make.

but then it could've been something I've been working on for years. You're just scared because you have no sample library. my shit is 180gb

yeah thats fine. post something you've been working on for years. it just has to be better than j dilla or madlib.

talk shit post clyp, should be easy.

ite hold on I was boutta beat off but I'll make a few right now

Why the fuck do you reply to these guys lol

Have you posted anything good that took a while in recent threads? I don't bother replying to the polished shit unless it actually stands out beyond the sea of music out there that's "good enough"

I haven't ever seen anything praised like you described that actually deserved it

>I haven't ever seen anything praised like you described that actually deserved it
that's because you're a newfag. Some people here are really quite good dude

What can I do to improve? First electronic track but I'm generally familiar with music.
clyp.it/wcwwqm1u

Maybe your standard for good is just lower than mine idk

I say "good enough" referring to relatively pro sounding music that just doesn't do anything unique or new

Don't get me wrong there are a few good dudes here but there's no reason to ask a bunch of new producers to crit your song when you already know what you're doing lol

>Don't get me wrong there are a few good dudes here but there's no reason to ask a bunch of new producers to crit your song when you already know what you're doing lol
I value everyone's opinion as every artist ought to even trap kiddies.

clyp.it/seyj3dbi
shat this out just now I was going to make more than one but I'm over it. Making boombap is so mindnumbing also I'm pretty hammered so sorry

So you added drums to a sample w0w FuCk donuts was eZ

niggas out here bragging about their sample library lmao

>"they don't know how to produce, so they can't comment on how bad my song is"

sounds like dilla, niggers will say it's shit because they are part of a hive mind that rejects anything that isn't made by Jdilla, madlib and nujabes

Yup. Yeh it literally is that easy it is not any other shit dude try to explain to me what hip hop beats are other than laying drums and bass over a sample and you'll sound like an incompetent bumbling idiot

wow madlib permanently destroyed

I know you're all shitting on this type of music atm but I'd like some opinions.

not sample based

clyp.it/iav55xoi

aight boys, i need help, i cant seem to get a good tempo on any of my songs, i always get lost in the sauce and end up fucking up. and when i end up finishing my fucked up song, i like it to where i dont wanna fix it, how do i solve this problem. I use fl studio, is there a way i can solve this problem with a feature on this DAW?

Good can be poorly produced and vice versa lol

Why would you take mixing advice from somebody who doesn't know how to do it dummy

>tempo

Gonna have to clarify your question because ur not making much sense bruv

well in my case, when i make music, the melody almost never seems to be on par with the beat. Is there a way that fl studio can show me the bpm on specific melodies i sample from songs or do I have to use common sense and stop being an autistic fag?

use a metronome you fucking animal? does FL not have a tap to set bpm feature?

Holy shit this is awesome like the other user said some extra melodic stuff over the top could help it.
The chord progression made me think of this song youtu.be/UZmtjeb3uck?t=4m43s The bass has a strange decay though, play around with the decay and release on it, maybe shorten it.
If anything I'd say it's a little too flat and limited, the bass guitar maybe a little too loud its probably squashing everything, though it depends whether you were aiming for that.
Noice job with those vocals and the whole thing really. Maybe back off the high hats 3db? They're a little obtuse compared to the rest of the track.

Been listening to a lot of old dnb lately so I decided to try it. I think I've got a good start with bassline and drums, just need to make it interesting.
clyp.it/sidrhtyo

u right im just being an autistic faggot

Very muddy and lo-fi, try cleaning up the lower frequencies.

it is lo-fi on purpose, i think youre right about bass mudding tho

Listen to it with a low pass filter so you only hear the bass frequencies, then see if you can find where things are overlapping or resonating/droning. You could even try a notch filter to look for weird resonances i guess.

Hey I'm this guy, thx for the advice regarding the hi-hat, do you prefer this mix?
clyp.it/k5fz4wzy

>What makes a track sound professional?

You learning how to mix you dumbshit. Refer to all the resources in the OP

>I'm a girl btw

If you're throwing loops and already processed samples together of course it'll sounds better than what you can do on your own, especially you 'cause you're no good

What'd you use to get the bass sound. My shit sounds like yours but getting a good sounding bass is my biggest issue.

mixing, sound selection and arrangement (the last two are part of your own style. it might develop in the future)

mixing is what makes your idea shine so work on that

Check your chromosomes faggsagna

check yours too wit dis faegy vibe

Read this:

Any example of Madlib's production quality?
Really interested.

been working on this since 2013, finally ready to get some feedback, please be nice :3

clyp.it/su5nfb23

walk in front of a bus

does komplete kontrol play nice with ableton