Similar bands (recs)

Indie/alt rock with a slightly dreamy, lo-fi, nostalgic sound, bonus if there's cool guitar chords and licks thrown around like in Carry The Zero

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mzME1yyEXpY
youtube.com/watch?v=oqNB2PWJ7r4
youtube.com/watch?v=KeZt5IGJ1T8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Flake Music - When You Land Here

I dig it so far. Thanks homie

I wish the singer could tone down his Shins-y sound though. Probs impossible

Never listened to that band but from what you described if you haven't listened to this album you'll love it

you're not gonna find a band like bts

they're deceptively good

np

That's what I've been realizing. They have something about them that I can't quite find anywhere else

Well try this out OP, it's not too similar to BtS but you might like it

youtube.com/watch?v=mzME1yyEXpY

I'd love something similar to Teen Suicide.

pavement

Surprised no one's mentioned it, but early modest mouse is the closest you'll get I think

Labelmates Lync and Modest Mouse are the obvious picks, but you've probably already heard them.

Particular MM albums you'd recommend? Only ever listened to GNFPWLBN

Go earlier. I'd personally say Building Nothing Out of Something, but your other options are pretty much Lonesome Crowded West, TIALDFSWNTTA, and Sad Sappy Sucker

Their first three are all probably the clsoest to what you're looking for. And you could make an argument for any of them as the best. Lonesome Crowded West is probably my favorite though. But really you should listen to all of them. And I always think when getting into new bands it's best to listen in order so you can hear them evolve.

All their albums are good though. If you like some of the poppier BTS you might like We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank too. So basically I'd listen to those two and decide what sound you like best, then if you're interested listen to the others near it. MM is best divided into two eras - pre Good News and post Good News

BNOoS is also my favorite MM but I feel like you have to have an appreciation for them already to really enjoy it, it being a compilation and not a full album and all

Start from the beginning with Long Drive and go forward until Good News. Also listen to the building nothing out of something compilation.

Everything after that is mediocre. If you're lazy and just want their very best go with Lonesome crowded west and moon and antarctica, probably some the greatest indie rock records ever recorded.

Lol at everyone unanimously picking LCW

Literally listening to bts when i found this thread but yeah this is pretty close to that sound

this gives me the same 90s feel i get from other albums by bts and modest mouse.. even though it's not 90s
youtube.com/watch?v=oqNB2PWJ7r4
reissue is trash btw

Archers of Loaf

Can't tell if bait or not, but it's literally James Mercer pre-Shins

unwound, dismemberment plan, pavement, treepeople, lync, modest mouse (early), wrens

Yes I know -- I meant that I wish he didn't have such a distinct voice because I keep thinking of the shins when I listen to them

look, when you land here is pretty much the shins debut album since it features the same members who later played on oh, inverted world.

Interesting. I like the shins a lot, I just wasn't expecting them when I listened to flake music. Not a knock to either group (even though they're the same), just surprised me

Man it's weird where The Shins are now compared to Flake Music

twin peaks. pavement

Seconding Twin Peaks. Wild Onion is such a fun album. They're a sorta modern take on garage rock/indie rock for the uninitiated

Yuck i think does a pretty good job at generalizing the sounds that built to spill and pavement inspired. Someone already mentioned the unicorns and they're a pretty good match as well.

yuck picked a good band name because their music makes me go "yuck"

Are there many similiarities between BTS and Dinosaur Jr? I love BTS but have barely heard anything from Jr

definitely Ugly Casanova - Sharpen Your Teeth

possibly The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow

my fav shins album

seconding this.
OP really needs to check out grandaddy. They have a more naive and childish sound most of the times, like you're a lost kid and it's sunset and all you have with you to escape the fact that you're alone and fucked is a gameboy or perhaps a tamagochi. Does that make any sense to anyone who knows the band? anyways check em out. I suggest "what happened to the fambly cat" more than the software slump but both are possibly their best work

You can try Tame Impala. Kinda dreamy and cool sound
youtube.com/watch?v=KeZt5IGJ1T8