Recommendations for 1890's - 1910's music

/k/ here,
I've tried all the usual methods such as youtube, /mu, and asking old people, but 2 years' worth of research have not yielded the results I want.
What do you guys know that sounds great to you all?
>inb4 wiki
I've already looked at "year 19XX in music"
I'm into nocturnes, some broadway that's not too comical, and female singers of pop of the era. So far my favorites have been mostly Scott Joplin (solace and maple leaf rag are absolutely important musical history imo), cole Porter, and some Marion Harris and Ruth Etting.
This board is spammed everyday with kpop containment , Thom York fetishes, and that crazy st vincent posting guy, and I can't be the only one to be interested in this era of American and European music, so perhaps others will find this thread interesting as well.
>TL;DR What old shit do you listen to ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MJv6Q5TMBZM
youtube.com/watch?v=hlUd0FFe5EQ
youtube.com/watch?v=tr_VUEITbjY
youtube.com/watch?v=TrOv7qHgo3k
rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=everything&year=1910s&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=
rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=everything&year=1900s&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=
store.doverpublications.com/0486215369.html#tab3
amazon.com/dp/079353125X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_yGJqzbC7G1W06
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various-artists/anthology-of-american-folk-music-1/
shanachie.com/genres/yazoo/
library.rockhall.com/archival_repositories_collections
americanhistory.si.edu/archives/collections
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I found a picture of you, OP.

Well shit, this is a first.

The only time I listen to songs THAT old is when Tiny Tim covered them. The man was a human encyclopedia on music from the dawn of recorded sound through to WWII; you should check him out beyond the falsetto novelty stuff.

>and asking old people
For what purpose? They might be able to tell you about music from the 50s or something, but not this shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=MJv6Q5TMBZM

I can give you some bluegrass and blues if you want, OP
youtube.com/watch?v=hlUd0FFe5EQ
youtube.com/watch?v=tr_VUEITbjY
youtube.com/watch?v=TrOv7qHgo3k

Fuck. I guess it kinda does give off that vibe. I just wanted to see if anyone else ever wonders about old shit. If anything I look like a 2012 scene kid, at least. m'lady.
I know but it seems more likely that 80 year old people will know Scott Joplin than rather my age group.
I mean, it feels like every old lady has a story about broadway or listening to broadway ya know?

Singers of this time like Billy Murray and Al Jolson essentially shouted rather than sang because they were used to the concert hall environment which required you to project to be able to be heard. The primitive acoustic recording equipment also necessitated this style of vocal.

The event of electronic sound recording at the end of the 1920s enabled the creation of the softer, more intimate crooner sound which Bing Crosby developed during the early 1930s. Most of the ex-vaudeville singers died out in the 30s, although Al Jolson had a post-WWII career comeback until his death in 1951.

Knock yrself out, ya insufferable bastard.

rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=everything&year=1910s&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=everything&year=1900s&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

This is actually super interesting. Huh.

>I know but it seems more likely that 80 year old people will know Scott Joplin than rather my age group.
An 80 year old was born in 1936-37, an entire generation after ragtime had died out. They might know about Rosemary Clooney or some shit like that, they wouldn't have been alive for ragtime by a long shot.

Actually The Sting was anachronistically using ragtime because the movie was set in the 30s, well after that style of music was ancient history.

Thanks .

Yes I know, what I'm saying is they would have grown up hearing and liking their relatives' music just as you and I grew up hearing Nirvana or some other shit because our parents still liked it.

My parents were pushing 40 when Cobain offed himself, they didn't "grow up" listening to Nirvana by any stretch.

I swear, this guy gets more and more Reddit-tier with every post.

Did reddit teach you to say that when you get on blue boards?

1. Google "Best selling sheet music 19XX"

Before the phonograph, if people wanted to listen to music, they would buy the sheet music and play it on the piano.

Look at the song lists of Sheet music compilations to get the name of songs

store.doverpublications.com/0486215369.html#tab3
amazon.com/dp/079353125X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_yGJqzbC7G1W06

2. Get this:
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various-artists/anthology-of-american-folk-music-1/

3. Yazoo is the most prominent label that distributes this music:
shanachie.com/genres/yazoo/

Get the name of the songs from these sources, then look them up on youtube.

Protip: Sales of recorded music didn't exceed sales of sheet music until after WWII

library of congress
strange web dudes archiving cylinders
search active record companies of the time and the discs they were promoting
could be a lot of small time unknown s out there

maybe
library.rockhall.com/archival_repositories_collections

maybe some shit like
americanhistory.si.edu/archives/collections

The only pop group I listen to from that time is American Quartet. "That Mysterious Rag" gets stuck in my head from time to time.