how can I become a good guitarist?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gFdD98R-Al0
youtu.be/KjXskKsUy9c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

play piano and then transcribe it to
guitar

how does it help me?

practice? also don't use tabs and learn music theory.

Smoke weed, read Guitar World, learn songs, write originals, improvise, compete with a fellow guitar bro, listen to lots of music.

>Smoke weed

stopped reading there

You learn theory, helps with scales and chords and stops you from just repeating other peoples shit, not saying it straight up makes you inventive, but helps you not be generic and boring. I'm saying this as someone who played piano for ten years before even attempting to learn guitar, because I had all the theory and knowledge of music from piano and critically listening to music it was so much easier to learn, I legit learned the whole instrument in about 2 weeks to an adequate standard, but it takes years of practice to become anywhere near what most guitarists would consider good

Also, hate to be that guy, but it takes dedication, you've gotta fall in love with the instrument, I know it sounds dumb, but you're never gonna be good at it if you don't dedicate yourself to it, you gotta find artists you truly aspire to be. But put your own stamp on it.

Dedication, learning about music theory, learning about guitar, getting inspiration and honestly getting a buddy to play with, but one that pushes you further rather than allow you to get complacent. Honestly that last one is important, since if you've got a friend that kind of allows that you're going to feel a lot more motivated.

Not really essential but work for most guitarrists

Practice and study theory

Do I really have to know theory? I play for a year now and I'm okay but just wanted to improve. I don't know shit about theory, can't even read notes

At least learn the basics. It's not too difficult honestly. The guitar general should have some useful links in the OP

if you play everyday youll get good eventually and tabs can go a long way, but theory helps

Honestly if you know the pentatonic scale, how to find notes and a few basic things about chord progressions you're set for the very basics and can jam with just about everyone. You don't need to go with fully into it, but understand what you're doing goes a long way towards getting better.

People will call this le bait but a huge aspect of being good at an instrument is genetic

If you're trying to play jazz, absolutely. Not that it would hurt knowing music theory for any other genre of music you intend to play. And what's more, you will be able to appreciate music you listen to even more and on a different level.

I haven't looked at studies regarding the subject, although playing Allan Holdsworth's music is simply physically impossible for most people.
youtu.be/gFdD98R-Al0
youtu.be/KjXskKsUy9c

yeah I know, but I'm lazy and rather actually play the instrument than study theory. I'd dont even want to play jazz. I just like Rosenwinkel

Learn the common chord progressions. Then learn the more advanced ones.

Learn the entire pentatonic scale all the way down the neck. Same with the major scale.
Then learn the modes (mixolydian, phrygian, etc) and study music theory.
While you do this, challenge yourself to learn hard songs and understand their musical structure.

>yeah I know, but I'm lazy and rather actually play the instrument than study theory.
Again, you can play a good number of genres while being to a degree ignorant of music theory, but I sense a classic "music theory limits my creativity" coming.

don't listen to the jackass that said you need to play piano to learn theory, you can study theory on every instrument
>have a daily practice routine with specific goals
>don't use tabs
>study theory, especially harmony

nah, I'm just lazy

And an observation if I may, this reasoning almost exclusively applies to guitar.

yeah, like I would just give up on guitar for now, learn how to play piano for a couple of years and come back to playing guitar later