Why are no good thrillers being made anymore?

Why are no good thrillers being made anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=snRbau9fQ74
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just gotta keep moving

Do you live under a rock?

It's strange and depressing to watch this kid as he's in the process of losing his mind.

The Gift was a pretty good psychological thriller.

So does anyone know why he got kicked out

He wasn't kicked out. He thinks he's being gangstalked and is touring through the united states living out his car trying to shake off his stalkers.

Shit, that'd actually make a pretty good thriller.

But John can't drive, also he seems the type that would have a mental breakdown about just using a public toilet.

Dunno.

At least nothing will top What Lies Beneath.

>But John can't drive
That was just a rumor started here because his mother is sitting beside him in some of his reviews.

Hooters isn't near his living area, he only has one mattress in his car and he did his latest review in his car at night. Very unlikely his mother is involved and much more likely that it's him driving.

it wasn't

Yes it was.

nope, it was the box repackaged with nicer cinematography so plebs eat it up

This isn't a thriller, you noggin

The Box was fucking horrible

my point exactly, so what makes this one good?

This was decent

Just so you know, we're laughing AT you. Not WITH you.

not an argument

IT WAS AWESOME FAGGOT

sup Sup Forums

Mid budget films aren't making money at the box office and there isn't much of a home video market anymore. That level of film making is getting transferred to serialized TV.

Stuff like The Night Of and Breaking Bad and what have you.

Mark Wahlberg has been sitting on those remake rights for years now.

I have no idea which role he wants to play either.

still lacking in the argument department

Damn, jim and roy must've squashed their beef.

>mfw I just realized Roy is in 13 Hours

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy if it counts.

The average moviegoer has become a pleb. They're just pandering to the lowest common denominator. You make a thriller and all you get is a bunch of mouthbreathers and knuckleheads complaining that "nothing happens". Stop watching the Oscar nominated films, those are pleb shit as of now. Start watching some stuff that's more indie. Some years ago I wouldn't have imagined I'd say this, but today I see better stuff on Cannes than on the Oscars. Pic very related.
Back in the day pretentious crap was at Cannes, nowadays you see flicks like Birdman get showered with Oscars.
Good call, but that's a fairly under film.

OMG, this came out? I gotta watch this. It better be more like Drive than Only God Forgives, OGF was pretentious trash.

Based scandinavians are making some awesome films lately, I'll have to watch that

>The average moviegoer has become a pleb.
>has become

lol

why does this pic induce an "ayy lmao" in me?
The average moviegoer used to have much better taste, just look at 80s blockbusters

Nah there were shitty movies in the 80s too. Careful with those rose colored glasses.

>used to have much better taste, just look at 80s blockbusters
Are you seriously pulling the wrong generation card?

Who will play him in the inevitable biopic?

That's why I said blockbusters. Shitty stuff usually tanked back then.
That's one way to see it. Another way to see it is just admitting that the movies that make it today don't tend to be as good as they were back then, with the realization that things can improve. Remember that the 80s were basically neo 1900s-1920s when it came to aesthetics, art and excess. I'm hoping for the 2020s to be a new era of excess and God-tier cinema and music.

>Remember that the 80s were basically neo 1900s-1920s when it came to aesthetics, art and excess.
This is the stupidest thing I've read all day.

>what is neo-deco
>who was Patrick Nagel
>what is film soleil and how does it relate to film noir
You sound uncultured, user.

oh, btw extend my 80s claim to 1975-1995

If dubs, Bruno Ganz

That was garbage. I'm sorry. I wanted to like it, but it was shite.

There's so many to get through, but I agree that there seems to be less and less quiet thrillers being made. Last time I saw a thriller in the cinemas was Sicario last year.

I don't know what you're talking about but Patrick Nagel's style is the opposite of excess.

>julay productions
cwc reference?

I wasn't talking about excess in the baroque sense, I was talking about people leading lives of excess. Nagel's art goes hand in hand with the excessive lifestyle. FFS, it was published in Playboy. One of his works is a woman sucking two dicks. It wasn't uncommon for people to use his drawings as a table to blow snow on.

Right, and this excess wasn't present in the 60s and 70s and magically went away in the 90s and 2000s?
I still don't see a connection between the 1900s-1920s and the 80s in any way. The early 20th century saw an explosion of the avant-garde and the 80s saw an explosion of what, bigger and dumber action movies?

The kind of excess from the 60s and 70s was pretty different to the ones in the 80s. 80s were the golden age of hard drugs.
Look at how colorful stuff was in those two eras. Of course, this can't be observed on film because it was monochrome, but you can see it on the other visual arts. A sizable amount of classic films were done in that era. Think of stuff like Terminator or Blade Runner.
The capekino from the era bleeds Deco, look at Batman.

Is reviewbrah kino?

You're still missing the point.
The early 20th century was typified by experimentation and radical thought throughout the arts, literature, music and politics.
The 80s were the period when conventionality was solidified to the point of the 90s having the second countercultural movement to that mainstream.

>capekino
Shit, I didn't know I was arguing with an actual teenager.

>Shit, I didn't know I was arguing with an actual teenager.
I only used the term ironically. The movie is a masterpiece though.
>The 80s were the period when conventionality was solidified to the point of the 90s having the second countercultural movement to that mainstream.
I don't see it that way, the 90s were more mediocre in almost every way. Also the 80s pushed a lot of boundaries. 90s (specially late 90s, early 90s still have an 80s vibe to them) were more bland, just look at clothing or cars. 80s were set in a big crime wave, with an ongoing cold war, with people trying to escape from that and live life to the fullest. In the 90s people got more comfy and everything got blander.

>the 90s were more mediocre in almost every way.
I'm not talking about quality (and that's up for debate), I'm only showing how the 80s were about stratifying trends that were then rebelled against, much like in the 60s. Also since we're mostly talking about the US, the culture was more conservative with Reagan so you naturally had the rebellion in the 90s. It's no surprise that the previous decades for both the 60s and 90s had economic growth, leading to the cultural normality.

>Also the 80s pushed a lot of boundaries. 90s (specially late 90s, early 90s still have an 80s vibe to them) were more bland, just look at clothing or cars.
A few minutes ago you said you weren't talking about the baroque kind of excess but now you're explicitly talking about fashion. You seem confused.

>80s were set in a big crime wave,
The 80s saw a reduction in crime before crime peaked in the early 90s.

>with an ongoing cold war, with people trying to escape from that and live life to the fullest
The Cold War had colored every decade after WWII and the escapism was one of the direct causes of the countercultural revolution, growing out of the mania of the 50s and early 60s. The sense of complacency that you say was a symptom of the 90s actually started in the 80s when the US experienced economic growth as the Soviet Union crumbled.

>A few minutes ago you said you weren't talking about the baroque kind of excess but now you're explicitly talking about fashion. You seem confused.
80s fashion wasn't baroque, but it was stylish. In the 90s it became fashionable to dress like a manchild.

This thread has gone to shit fast.

I need a thriller to watch tonight. Don't let me down Sup Forums

>The Cold War had colored every decade after WWII and the escapism was one of the direct causes of the countercultural revolution, growing out of the mania of the 50s and early 60s. The sense of complacency that you say was a symptom of the 90s actually started in the 80s when the US experienced economic growth as the Soviet Union crumbled.
Able Archer 83. Highest tension since the missile crisis.

>80s fashion wasn't baroque, but it was stylish
Just look at this fucking shit

lel you got me good there, but that is red-carpet clothing

Check out The Gift. Everyone is going to probably shit on it because it's fairly recent, but it's a solid Thriller.

Anthropoid is in theaters

>The 80s saw a reduction in crime before crime peaked in the early 90s.
Yes, they started low, but the whole decade had a rising trend. 90s were the decade of dropping crime.

>Using Cory Feldman as an example
That fucker is so out of touch with everything

kek, cut him some slack
poor guy was molested

Holy fuck, is this CIA's dad?

AWYISS 80S
youtube.com/watch?v=snRbau9fQ74

OMG

>miami nights
>vector
based