Hey Sup Forums

Hey Sup Forums.
Im 23 yo and never picked up a skateboard but this year I want to change that.

Im not looking to do tricks and flips and shit, but I just want it to be a secondary mode of transportation to work like a bike.

Where do I start? Shine your light on me

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DOqcU4b_2VM
youtube.com/watch?v=_Hhd9a7c34Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Pick up a gun instead.

Get a bike, the griptape ruins your shoes and the wheels get locked up even if they hit the smallest pebble.

Get a bike, unless you have long greasy hair and where kitchen clothes as a shirt then a skateboard might be better.

go to your local skate shop and ask. big soft wheels and a wide deck should suit your needs

get a longboard if you look like a pothead and if not don't buy one
like this guy said, the smallest bump can send you flying

This. Especially if you live in a big city. But, if it's the suburbs then boarding is great.

23 is over the hump to learn how to even balance on a board if you've never touched one before. Btw this thread is b8

Truth, I skate cruisers personally

what in the fuck is a kitchen clothes

buy roller skates you will be super popular

Do a kickflip

This is now a post your board thread

Custom deck I had made with Paris trucks and tekton seismic bearings and fat ass 77 mm wheels

thats pretty gay

Kinda regretting not buying one with a proper tail end cant slide it for shit

>long board

kys

Don't be a faggot and buy a longboard. Buy a real board, even if it's only for cruising. Buy am 8.75 board and some 56mm wheels and you're set

Log board?

Whats the difference between a long board and a regular one maintenance wise?

Than you need to get a loose long board with big wheels. Its quite and will make no trouble

Started skating at 26 cause went on holiday and hung out with skaters who were like 40, chill as fuck , learned how to Ollie the other day , bought a "FLIP" board the guy in the skate shop said it was a good starter board.

Why would anybody ride this shit?

It's the same, only you wouldn't look like a faggot in a regular board.

Not if you are riding a cruiser

Also it's more fun because you can actually learn to Ollie into curbs and cracks on the street or sewer things. You can spend more time in your board and less time lifting it up the ground to get from the street to the sidewalk

Im 21 and wanna skate too. Do shoes matter or its whatever?

But what if i wanna look like a faggot?

You already do

If yoiu mainly want it for transportation get a cruiser board, OP

Make sure the deck is at least 8.5'', I'd recommend a brand like Welcome or Black Label

Get trucks that are also sized at 8.5", Independent and ace brand trucks are fantastic. Get riser pads for the trucks so the wheels don't rub.

For wheels I'd say get some that are at least 58-60mm, OJ III wheels are fucking wonderful to ride on and they wheel roll over most bumps and pebbles fine.

Any griptape is fine, Mob is the grippiest while Jessup is the least.

Take this list to your local skateshop and they will set you up
OR
This website has everything needed for skating:
www.skatewarehouse.com

Flat bottomed and aside from that it's mainly preference. Vans, Lakai, and Huf are my favorites

skateboards
longboard - easy to learn, forgiving due to large deck area, carves well, turns shit

regular - harder to learn unless from younger age, not forgiving due to smaller deck area, carves ok, turns and pops good

and now for real boards
longboard - used by middle aged fat fucks, lazy cunts, surfers who spend more time 'checking it' than surfing it, kooks who want to pretend they can surf

shortboard - harder to paddle, way less forgiving, carve better and turn/air on a dime, sometimes seen being (poorly) used by learners who don't want anyone to see them on a longboard

if you live near the ocean op and haven't surfed/skated before, start with a longboard, both in and out of the water. you'll look like a hopeless kook for months but you'll get it, retro surfboards like twin stubs and single fin shortys are fun to ride as well.

Also the faggots going on about pebbles making you fall and griptape fucking your shoes can't surf/skate or they wouldn't even worry about that shit.
good luck op, will be hard at your age but fuck what anyone thinks, go have fun

pic is what will get you addicted and keep you coming back for more

Regular boards and cruisers are waaaaaaay more portable too

Thanks man! Ill check it out. Appreciated.

True

I'm going to name my first child Maxresdefault.

Nice

Yeah, then he can skate down the promenade in 80's boxer shorts, tight t-shirts and a rainbow flag attached to the tail like all the other long board fags.

See

I'd recommend a bike honestly. But I have a board that's pretty similar to this and from the same place. Arbor boards are amazing for cruising. Start slow and on flat ground. No bullshit the best way to get comfortable on one is to have a few beers and then ride. Makes you looser and more confident on the board. Be ready to fall though because it's going to happen a few times while you learn.

I love log boarding

Easiest board I've ever ridden in my 54" pintail. The bigger the board the easier it is to ride, provided you don't have $10 trucks on it like me. A regular skateboard like in your picture is terrible as transportation. Those things are more for tricks and stuff. You can be going down the street at a decent speed and a pebble will take it out from under you. For the cost of a good long board you can get a kick ass bike at a pawn shop though.

I get compliments on how awesome it is literally every time I leave the house with it. Troll harder.

I dont slide on mine anyways I'm pretty sure it makes your wheels deteriorate faster.
Why? You have much hate for someone you don't know over the internet. Chill out kiddo.
Because coke is the shit. Get with it.

You're the gayest person on Sup Forums right now

>where (sic) kitchen clothes as a shirt

Is that a common expression?

Kid im cooler than you could ever even hope to be. Stay mad about it.

do it faggot, then post vids of your broken phone once you take a good tumble.

on a side note, I am over 50!
skateboarded my whole life, but I must admit, all youse young faggots are 10x better at tricks than we were.

And yes, fuck pebbles and sidewalk bulges, glad I still know how to roll rather than face plant or break my fucking wrists...

bought my last board when I was 25, bcuz I figured it would be the last board I would ever buy (natas board, sex wheels, fucktheworld), and 25 years later, I still ride it to 7/11 regulary: "hey, look at the old fat stoned dork swerving on that board, fuck you faggot" (that's my younger me yelling at me today).

>I dont slide on mine anyways I'm pretty sure it makes your wheels deteriorate faster.
Oh, you're pretty sure?
>I get compliments on how awesome it is literally every time I leave the house with it.
how long you been riding for bud? not long I think

champion, hope Im still surfing at your age brother

if you want a board for transportation, get a penny board or any Longboard. A skateboard is only good for a skatepark because they have hard wheels which suck ass on bad pavement.

Yeah im pretty sure sliding would cause them to deteriorate faster considering my wheels are two years old and still in great condition

Been riding since 2009 kys kid. Got this board two years ago and literally almost anyone who sees it feels the need to tell me how awesome it is.

You seem envious of how awesome I am. Its okay maybe someday you can be as cool and original as me with your own custom board

>Yeah im pretty sure sliding would cause them to deteriorate faster considering my wheels are two years old and still in great condition
Ah ok good, glad you clarified that, was beginning to think you only used your longboard once a month but you sound like you know a lot about them lol.

that's nice mate, I've surfed for 30 years and ridden skateboards since I was 4, which is 35 years.
little pup with his learners skateboard trying to tell everyone he 'thinks' your wheels will deteriorate and how 'cool' (HAHAHA) he thinks he is!

i would say get a bike. you can get a long board if you don't want to do tricks.

long board

Dubs checked. Nice burn friend

Not gonna waste my time arguing with some 40 year old loser about why I'm cooler than him even if he's been alive longer lmao. Go drink bleach. If that's you surfing NICE bail

that's Andy Irons and that's called a layback, drop wallet amongst other names, a maneuver also used in skateboarding
youtube.com/watch?v=DOqcU4b_2VM
youtube.com/watch?v=_Hhd9a7c34Y

you can't skate or you'd know that, worrying about what people think of you and how 'cool' you think you are shows how young your thinking is

look up the definition of 'kook'. literally you

You act as if I honestly give a fuck about your retarded opinion. Go layback and take some dick you faggot

Did someone say Andy?

kook
1. someone posing very hard as a surfer or skateboarder.

2. someone that goes to every surfing or skateboarding event to hangout, compile pictures, start conversations, and generally be seen with real surfers or skateboarders.

3. also see: gayrab
"Dude, did you see that kook trying to drop in on me the other day?"

It's not opinion, it's fact.

Get rekd poser

>comes into a thread about skateboarding and posts pic of ugly as fuck non practical coke board
>talks about skating and offers advice, mainly centred around how cool he looks
>doesn't know what a layback is

If it's for commuting just get an electric board. Something like a boosted, or on the cheaper end a liftboard dual