Why don't you faggots program in the One True Holy Language of C?

Why don't you faggots program in the One True Holy Language of C?

inb4 c++

kek that's shit

u both are shit python is the way to go

c++ is ugly and unnecessary. the fact that the first c++ compilers really just translated it into c code before actual compilation is proof that anything you can do in c++ can be done in c

You spelled Fortran wrong.

I did, like 4 years ago, but it is no longer the best tool for the job on most things I do.
I now use java, python, rails, sql, and angularjs

python is slow as shit

fuck interpreted languages in general, and fuck java for that matter as well. how you gonna get an executable from writing in python LOL

Name one popular program written in the past 2 years that was in fortran

but i do.

What style do you use for placing brackets?

C++ is really all you need. Even then, it gets pretty superfluous. Just be a man and upgrade to C#. I swear it's identical except no stupid header files or prototyping and IDE's now can handle librarying, compiles, and execution. Leave C where it be

opening { on the same line, always. fuck K&R suggestion on that one.

Same here

K&R actually does do opening bracket on same line, except for the brackets around functions for some reason

HAH I DIDNT ACTUALLY KNOW THAT

why java tho

Does BS agree? Bok doesn't know

kek, kek, kek, kek, and kek.
Why so much web-based? 90% of web-based is shit.

nah we just like it cause it sounds like fourchan.

>C#
>implying I like to code with micro$hits cock up my ass

this

afte years of working low level office, pizza and fast food jobs i'm learning java now at 27. by 28/29 i'll be fully employed making at least 55,000 per year. A few years after that it will be 70+.

feels so good to not have to bother with 4 years of uni to get a decent paying job, the pay of which just keeps going up and up after each year of experience with no sight of demand slowing down any time soon, in fact all signs point to boom boom boom.

too many type modifiers just to get a basic program running

and why compile to bytecode and require java to be installed on anything you want your program to work on instead of just making your code cross platform and compiling to different native executables based on system

>2 years
Name one popular program written in the past years, faggot

Anything you can do in C, you can do in assembly
Why don't you just use assembly, user?

This.
The CORRECT way.

>C#
>.NET
What the fuck?

If it's not a desktop application or system programming, then it's web based. I either use python, which is my go-to interpreted, or java, which is my go-to compiled language.

any ide recommendation?
so far i've just been using sublime text but it's only been good for interpreted langs, that I know of..

I am pythonfag.

kys

Yeah, ugly af though

Do you also like it in the ass?

>Anything you can do in C, you can do in assembly
Why don't you just use assembly, user?

c++ complicates C.
C simplifies assembly.

use vim or GNU emacs

i have trouble working well with non-graphical editors. I can't imagine using one for a large project.

Am i just bad?

this^^

Well put...

once you get the keyboard commands down it's really easy to work with. i usually do smaller programs where using a command line editor doesn't become a huge problem, but if I were to do a big project I'd use atom, or codeblocks if you want a full fledged IDE

Tahnks. Much appreciated.

>22 years old
>got my software engineering degree in 7 semesters a few weeks ago with a business minor so that I can market and sell my side projects
>accepted an offer for 85,000 from Capital One
>kicking ass every fucking day
Feels good, man

Yeah 22 as well. I accepted an offer with the DoD. Cheers man.

>Why don't you just use assembly, user?

With C you get easy readability as well as a moderate idea as to how your program actually runs once it's compiled to assembly. Assembly is only really necessary for lower level stuff.

C++ on the other hand takes all the greatness C has and shits on it with abstract loads of shit that doesn't add anything useful to a program, and in the end will probably just make it run slower

>software engineering degree
>software engineering degree
>not a compsci/maths degree

Because i only really need this

>MATLAB (matrix laboratory) is a multi-paradigm numerical computing environment and fourth-generation programming language. A proprietary programming language developed by MathWorks

>proprietary programming language

>proprietary

have fun paying for software and sucking corporate dick lol faggot

PyCharm

i-i-is fast food jobs my future after college??

Scala FTW

As engineering major, kinda need big coorporation to work on shit like airplanes anyway...not mad

least it's better thank java, i guess

*than

>getting a government job

lol
scala is a gimmick
yeah it maps to JVM woot woot
but it discards so much value gained by other functional languages
might as well use Python
or Rust if you feel adventurous but aren't smart enough to do Haskell

second
nobody in their right mind wants to work for gubment
enjoy your bureaucracy, average pay, good bennies, but shit work

the one true language is machine language

fuck with my 1's and 0's

So you just like to shove any slight chance of code portability up your ass???

what does code portability have to do with machine language?
literally every processor on every platform uses machine language so its actually the most portable language there is?

>K&R actually does do opening bracket on same line, except for the brackets around functions for some reason
i was fairly sure they suggested opening them on the new line, but now that i think about it, the first C standard didn't even allow one-line comments, so it would make no sense, as you couldn't do shit like:
// if (x)
{
}

oh well. i must be confusing it with first C++ spec or something

Dis Nigga don't know it's practically pseudo c for advanced math and analysis. Not fucking webpages.

Don't need to since I'm already an engineer.

you're forgetting that different opreating systems will have incompatible ABIs, let alone the fact that other processors than x86 exist

>want to make my C program i wrote for linux x86 to work on Windows ARM
>literally just need to compile it for that sustem with no questions asked as long as code is cross platform

on the other hand

>want my MACHINE CODE program for linux x86 to work on windows ARM???
>i'm fucking screwed then

Because it depends on what you're doing.

>not gonna compile an exe to manipulate 2 cells in a spread sheet

>can't write industrial controls in c

>not all devices have a compiler for c

However c has its place. Like arduino. Until that lady Ada cunt got it all done in c++ and now it's hard to write 3 lines without maxing something out.

This nigger gets it

>can't write industrial controls in c
yes you can
>not all devices have a compiler for c
then write a compiler for c for that device

Go is the way to go haha

No you can't write industrial controls in c.

All platforms out there use a form a pseudo c for their structured text.

Unless you really wanted to start from scratch but then noone in their right mind would let you put it in a high risk process without alot of certs.

>write a compiler

Nigga I can build a calculator too but I'd rather just buy one.

Here's some sample code from my K&R 2nd edition if it's of interest

No it's not haha
It does have ken's seal of approval tho so might as well consider trying to learn it at least ig

if you woke up 100 years ago then your only option would be to build a calculator from scratch wouldn't it? if your platform doesn't have a c compiler then the same principles apply so do all the developers for that system an enormous favor and write a c compiler for it

>lol guise im an engineer haha programmers are doofus amirite??????

This

Why the fuck would I ever use matlab

/thread

and you don't know C until you can understand this

looks interesting, i'll consider getting that sometime

why is there a blue fish on the cover? why the fuck does every single reference book have a stock image of something completely unrelated on the cover? I had a Java textbook with a photo of sandcastles on the cover, and a precalc textbook with a girl surfing on the cover. Why not do something that's actually related to the content of the book

I eat niggers

precalc with a girl surfing, you can calculate everything about that girls surfing given the right data. sandcastles need to be built; consider the sandcastle a working code and all those little grains of sand are small strings of text coming together to form one functional sandcastle.

that's honestly the only reasonable explanation I can think of

Dude calculators have been around for millenia.

Also I'm not sure you understand the environments I speak of. Maybe if you saw the practical applications of programming you'd understand. Sometimes doing what you say is simply not worth it.

This is the problem with programmers. They always have a huge disconnect between logic and reality. Looks great on screen but shitty on the books. Or on the floor. Or in the field. Or in the wild.

PYTHON ALL THE WAYYYY MY NIGGASS

I meant electronic calculators

Honestly though I was half joking about writing a c compiler for such systems, you raise pretty good points imo

Because I'm wrapping up my first computer science class and it's Python. I have an almost perfect grade though. :^)

>USELESS SLOW ASS INTERPRETED LANGUAGES ALL THE WAYYYY MY NIGGASS

lucky, for my intro to compsci class in highschool we had to use Scratch

I'm not even familiar with that. I'm 35 and this is my second crack at college. I took an intro CS class back when I was like 19 and it was C++ and made zero sense. I think that had more to do with the fact that I was drunk and high all the time than it had to do with the language, but I also hear Python is a far better intro language.

agree
Python is glue
you abandon it when you need to either write a CPU bound application, want stronger guarantees from a type system, or are generally disgusted by the degree of hackery

it's basically PHP for the command-line

because C++ is literally C, but better in 128 ways

do you not like C++ because it's too hard for you? too fucking bad, your C program is a C++ program. fucking owned.

Scratch is pic related

Python is a hell lot more abstract than C/C++ so it's a good language to get a novice programmer acquainted with programming. I tried learning C++ as my first language and it wasn't easy at all considering I was 13 and had no knowledge of pretty much all programming concepts

Damn, that looks rather autistic. But yeah there are some people in my class who clearly just have a hard time grasping the logic behind programming, but I apparently have a good head for that so it really isn't very hard. I'll be taking a Java class over the summer, next.

being this fucking retarded wow

matlab is the most useful piece of software written since SPICE

How expensive is it?

>C++ is too hard for you?
I understand C++ just fine, I just don't see a reason to add so much unnecessary shit to C. Yeah adding classes was nice but beyond that it muddles up the code and adds unnecessary shit that isn't as low level as C just to make it easier for the programmer

>your C program is a C++ program

Not necessarily true. For example only in C can you convert a void pointer to a different pointer type without a cast.

>how you gonna get an executable from writing python LOL

wat
look up Platypus

that's because you've never written anything serious or actually consequential before.

your second point is a DIRE fucking weakness. almost unforgivable. and in C++ 11 pointer casting is even harder and requires things that draw even more attention to the programmer's eye.

I just finished an immersive coding camp. About to have three offers in three different cities. Feels good to finish a program in three months instead of 4-5 years and get job offers above 60k right off the bat.

>JSfag

Just finished a script to spam kahoot rooms in python and selenium

took five minutes, completely human readable, and kind of fun

>Platypus is a developer tool for the Mac OS X operating system. It creates native Mac OS X applications from interpreted scripts such as shell scripts or Perl, Ruby and Python programs. This is done by wrapping the script in an application bundle along with a native executable binary that runs the script.

So it just creates python interpreters that automatically run a built-in python script. That's still not truly native support.

I'm a newfag when it comes to computers and code, bit isn't it so that you can create objects in c?

What program was it? I know several people at Microsoft who all swear up and down that you're in a much better position with an actual four year CS degree, but of course that's what they all did (and a Master's, in some cases) so while I trust they're trying to give me good advice, I have wondered if they're biased. Can you tell me about the camp you did?

New to programming and have never used python but I know what some of this is saying. What exactly does this do?

I do.

So? What's wrong with having an interpreter wrapped as an executable?

this isn't the whole script
pretty much the first lines here ask for the user to enter the pin and desired username.

Then, I use PhantomJS and selenium to grab the Kahoot page, find the HTML element where you enter the pin, and send the pin followed by the enter key. Same thing for the username. The while loops are to wait for the element to be visible on the page for users with slow internet connection

Nothing. It'll be pretty slow in comparison to native code though

please plot a path for learning so i can do this shit too

pic related
made me feel retarded. want to believe its just a shit book but it was probably me