What's the best way to discover music? Sup Forums clearly isn't

What's the best way to discover music? Sup Forums clearly isn't.

Other urls found in this thread:

allmusic.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

r/music

click random shit on youtube

no

you listen to the essentials for a year, then listen to all new releases for a year, create a top 50 list, branch out from there.

Research artists you like and listen to their influences and so on.

Spotify

yeah i said it

or if you want a specific genre theres a lot of lists for every genre, then just branch out from there.

if you no life Sup Forums and look for quality stuff and actually try everything that people post you can find some good stuff. also do research on people or labels you really like and see what other things they were tied to.

Go on Sup Forums and say "post new music for me to listen to"

I look at the albums under the "related" tab on allmusic:

allmusic.com/

>discogs
>rate your music
>look up favorite album on youtube and look at recommendations
>search random words on slsk

Or if you don't mind basic bitch recs just google "good (genre) albums"

Sup Forums is okay

I actually like Google Play radios a lot. Found a lot of goooood shit that way

this desu

this

This is precisely what you shouldn't do. Waste of fucking time

this

This and Bandcamp

Download all 200+ entries of the Avant Garde Project and go from there

Just dig in the genre you want to listen to.

Cherry pick interesting albums from peoples charts or "god tier [genre] threads" Stay away from the hip hop threads.

The "Discovery" Playlist is kinda shit (for me, anyway), but either way it can give some good recommendations on the recommended section

Metalfag here. I just go on Discogs and filter by Death Metal, Cassette, Newest. That clears most of the chaff out. Then I just open YouTube and search for whatever albums don't sound fucking retarded by the artist name/album name.

>Spotify
>Sup Forums
>other online suggestions/reviews
>the fucking internet in general

don't be lazy

fuck that wtf

Use to be What.CD, goddamn do I miss that.

Have not found a good alternative yet.

Label crawling, check out directly related artists (i.e. side projects, band members)

Reminder to not spoonfeed someone who can take the time to browse Sup Forums and make a post, but not find shit for themselves

LITERALLY THE BEST WAY TO DISCOVER MUSIC:

>Use RYM for genres you already like
>Enable Last.fm scrobbling in Spotify or Music Player (Like MusicBee)
>Go to Last.fm to see recommendations it has based on listening habits (It will recommend a band saying it sounds like bands x, y, and z)

There you go

this

This

RYM is basically the only site I use to find music, except occasionally Shugazi and Metal threads on here

I do this shit as well and it's a great habit to have. Last.fm also has some good reccs on the artist page occassionally. I also like to read reviews occassionally because some reviewers (especially places like Allmusic) will state what/who the band/artist sounds similar to and contain a nice list of genres for identification, Allmusic also will sometimes put who the band was inspired by or side projects on the band's profile page which makes things easier. Discos is great as well for their list of "users who bought this also tried this".

Oh yeah might as well add that sharethreads and blogspots are a great way to find new shit, especially if you want something way different than what you usually listen to. I usually try to listen to anything that has a preview and if it sounds interesting, pick it the fuck up.

community radio

"Sup Forumscore" gets a bad rep because people don't use it right, but going through the Sup Forumscore chart is actually a pretty decent way to get into all sorts of styles of music most people wouldn't be able to get into otherwise. The thing is that it shouldn't be treated as an end all be all. It's just a decent starting point for all styles of "outsider music". From there, if there's a certain style you like, you can research that genre in particular and find out who the most significant/most influential musicians of that style are and then branch out from there. If there are specific artists you like, see who they've collaborated with, what albums they've played on, what artists they've toured with, who influenced them etc.

That's not at all to say Sup Forumscore is the only place you should start with. Surely you already like some music otherwise you wouldn't be posting here. Sometimes out of pure serendipity you can find something great by clicking on random shit on youtube, or sharethreads, or going to a record store and find something with an album cover that grabs your attention or asking for recommendations from one of the workers there, or from your friends, or even Spotify or last.fm or something.

Something I like to do is just browse all the files of a slsk user when I'm downloading an album that I'm looking for and I'll pick something random as well without looking up the artist or anything. I've been pleasantly surprised a few times.

That's a real shot in the dark, but I kind of want to try it now. Who knows what kind of shit you could find.

To be perfectly quite honest Last.fm isn't that great. It always wants to shove the same shit in my face and the layout pisses me off. RYM is really good though.

I don't think Sup Forumscore is "outsider" music, though that's part of the reason I think it's a great launch pad. Sup Forumscore is like 1000 albums you should hear before you die with a more modern bias. But I agree, Sup Forumscore is a great starting point and I found a lot of stuff beyond it by being patient and looking into record labels and musicians.

Back in the early 2000's it used to be last.fm(don't know how it is today) and myspace honestly. Go to local shows. Get friends with similar music tastes. I've been using spotify similarly to how I used last.fm. Don't be a fag, listen to everything. Also follow your favorite bands on social media. they'll post good stuff from time to time