youtube.com/watch?v=HigYN13ALvk
youtube.com/watch?v=iWYchJI0Cv8
youtube.com/watch?v=2A0wGO3c2T8
youtube.com/watch?v=PNVCDzW2EK0
youtube.com/watch?v=HV3zWSawJiw
youtube.com/watch?v=6Cd9YJvoQIg
youtu.be/dimyNC1BytY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Great timing, been listening to their first five albums relentlessly for the past week.

>that Dylan imitation on Barrytown
>baaad sneakers and a piiina coladamyfriend
>spending four minutes of Show Biz Kids anticipating the bit Super Furry Animals sampled
>everything about Charlie Freak and Rose Darling

Still haven't sat down and listen to Aja though, kind of saving it for when I'm in the mood.

"Sardonic Los Angeles transplants from the '60s/'70s with non-rock backgrounds" is an all-time great microgenre imo
Warren Zevon, Randy Newman, the Dan guys, Van Dyke Parks, Joni Mitchell, etc.

I've never heard of the show biz kids super furry animals thing what are you referring to?
Also I agree with you about all the other stuff, especially Rose Darling and Charlie Freak.

I've only listened to Aja and Gaucho, should i give the others an try?

yes.

Absolutely

listen to this right now.

DID YA FEEEEEEEL LIKE JESUS?

They had a song where the hook is just a loop of "They don't give a fuck about anybody else"
youtube.com/watch?v=CzHLTy33qWM#t=1m

Fagen was pissed off and ended up demanding 95% of the track's proceeds for them to use it

I'm never gonna do it without the fez on

Oh nice. I like this song.
I wonder how Fagen even ended up hearing about it.

Wasn't Fagen quoted saying this was one of the worst album covers of the 70's?

I'M A BOOKEEPERS SON I DON'T WANNA SHOOT NO ONE

Yes, but iirc he correctly recognised that the Can't Buy A Thrill cover is even worse

Indeed. When it comes to album artwork Steely Dan obviously didn't really give a shit (same thing with the name) but there music is immaculate so it doesn't matter honestly.

Lol yeah that's a horrid album cover.
Its a GOAT album though.

Literally only track I know by them is Riki don't lose that number. Where do I start?

If you want more rock sounding stuff do Countdown to Ecstacy and if you want to start with their more jazzy stuff I'd recommend Aja. Katy lied is sort of right in between those two spectrums (my personal favorite).

Neat, thanks.

in the linear notes of the remastered RS CD i believe this happens . when i was just getting into the dan the RS album art honestly put me off to the album when i was still in my aja lane but it quickly became a favorite and now i love the album art.

AND THEY WANDERED IN
FROM THE CITY OF ST. JOHN
WITHOUT A DIME

ill post a favorite from each album

can't buy a thrill - reelin in the years
youtube.com/watch?v=_bwHK1xkgJA

countdown to ecstasy - pearl of the quarter
youtube.com/watch?v=OMeTwFKbgsI

pretzel logic - pretzel logic
youtube.com/watch?v=I0mlaH0ANdU

katy lied - rose darling
youtube.com/watch?v=HigYN13ALvk

the royal scam - haitian divorce
youtube.com/watch?v=iWYchJI0Cv8

aja - deacon blues (the GOAT)
youtube.com/watch?v=2A0wGO3c2T8

gaucho - time out of mind
youtube.com/watch?v=PNVCDzW2EK0

also don't miss FM which was only a single
youtube.com/watch?v=HV3zWSawJiw
and the nightfly is p-cool too
youtube.com/watch?v=6Cd9YJvoQIg

You literally share all the same favorites from each as me except for countdown and can't buy a thrill. I would say Boston Rag and Do it Again for those.

We have the same favorites for Aja, Gacho, and Countdown to Ecstacy. My favorite for Can't Buy a Thrill is probably Brooklyn or Do It Again.

cant buy a thrill is still my favourite

WEARING COATS THAT SHINED BOTH RED AND GREEN FROM THEIR SUNNY ISLAND

great taste senpai. a few of them were tough to choose but honestly each of those albums have multiple songs id feel comfortable listing as a favorite.

SEE THE GLORRRRRRY (SEE THE GLORY)
OF THE ROYAL SCAM

(nice trips)

Undying love for Walter and Donald

youtu.be/dimyNC1BytY

Do yourselves a favour and buy/download the music. Fixed 128kbps YouTube bitrate isn't the way to listen to Steely Dan
Gonna listen to the 2000s material tomorrow, I love their discography

THE CUERVO OLD...THE FINE COLOMBIAN..

Best Steely Dan album

Fagen's individual work is just as good, and sometimes surpasses his stuff in steely dan

So is it true that Donald Fagen and his wife flew to the island of Hispanola for a Haitian Divorce?

Been listening to Aja a lot lately, but Steely Dan never put out a bad record as far as I'm concerned.

>So is it true that Donald Fagen and his wife flew to the island of Hispanola for a Haitian Divorce?

funny. I love SD but always feel that I am listening to a conversation between 2 other people...the lyrics always seem so intimate and personal - like I shouldnt be listening...

They got the idea for "hatian divorce from one of their studio musicians. I don't think Fagen and one his wives got a hatian divorce, correct me if I'm wrong.