youtube.com/watch?v=RxabLA7UQ9k
youtube.com/watch?v=9UBWgeSJlWw
youtube.com/watch?v=FK-KC2aQpcI
youtube.com/watch?v=I5lgAUHVFC4
youtube.com/watch?v=_GCQ_eAswiM
youtube.com/watch?v=lhrRDlIQ-Sc
youtube.com/watch?v=dsn9LWh230k
youtube.com/watch?v=7Cn7ZW8ts3Y
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jacob_obrecht/de_wereldlijke_werken___the_secular_works/
youtube.com/watch?v=vn9tQPoEV0E
youtube.com/watch?v=OitPLIowJ70
youtube.com/watch?v=bVSS7UF3mbc
youtube.com/watch?v=_EWl_DncXLY
youtu.be/rlH5iOWh1HI
youtube.com/watch?v=unp0spwY6Ww
musescore.com/user/9827641/scores/3298091
youtube.com/watch?v=1_2PF7AC2hI
youtube.com/watch?v=ABDY1qmMGy4
youtube.com/watch?v=2D-y2kJU0lg.
youtu.be/K0Un76AtOX8?t=1415
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ayy
>inb4 how do I into classical
>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Beethoven

youtube.com/watch?v=lvvIjByD7yw

I'm not a huge classical fan, but I'm interested and want to get into it.
can anyone recommend some good flute pieces? my favourites so far are by vivaldi, schickhardt, and Frederick the great. i don't like bach and beethoven for some reason

Mozart - K. 299

youtube.com/watch?v=im4CCu3VzMo
youtube.com/watch?v=q-8ZxCXger4
youtube.com/watch?v=-wuErtpck-c
youtube.com/watch?v=hfJ9-HenydQ
youtube.com/watch?v=hl_vMpcvWKA
youtube.com/watch?v=ad_ty_W4dAg

Zeger Vandersteene in Mahler's Das Lied von der Erde

youtube.com/watch?v=lscdt9fERSQ

Barbara Kortmann can play my flute anyday

What is the best Ravel piece? I know it depends on what you are looking for, but if you had to recommend your ONE favorite, of any type, what would it be?

I know if a piece is generally considered "best" it doesn't mean your personal favorite will align with that selection... bear with me. I guess just your personal favorite piece by Ravel.

valses nobles et sentimentales

wew these are great! thanks!

what do u think of this version?
youtube.com/watch?v=D0zVy1dvbcs
do u have a fav

Miroirs

post some nice little known concerctos

youtube.com/watch?v=oeSQ2DZ_c34

youtube.com/watch?v=JFIGoB7rK70

youtube.com/watch?v=F734PyD3NAw

Orchestral: either Daphnis et Chloe or the G Major Piano Concerto
Piano music: Le Tombeau de Couperin and Gaspard de la Nuite are absolute masterpieces

I'm usually somewhat skeptic of his interpretations, but Bernstein's Ravel is spot on. There are records of his for both La Valse and Valses nobles et sentimentales.
For the piano version (and this apply to every solo piano piece by Ravel), just listen to Perlemuter. He's one of the greatest pianists of the last century, and he manifactured his performances with Ravel himself, by studying them with him. If it is for piano and it is by Ravel, ALWAYS listen to Perlemuter first.

Meh. Not even Ravel liked it that much.

is an conductor's baton a instrument?

What does /classical/ think of Max Richter?

Ravel's own performances sound worlds away from Perlemuter's, though

Is Bach's career proof that slow and steady wins the race?

More like the bow of an instrument.

Ravel played himself only some of his easiest pieces.

I think it's unfair to compare Bach to any other composer.
Though I am biased, I find him to be the greatest, most essential composer of all time.

What makes a good composition?
Does it have to be complex?
Does it have to have a depth-filled form?
Does it need to sound like classical music?
Very rarely a good composer. He makes great pop music though.

i'm pretty classical pleb only listen to Bach and Satie. I'm looking for more pieces like the latter -- discordant but yet still very expressive solo piano pieces very spare, any suggestions?

Debussy, Mompou, Part, Takemitsu, Hauer

ergo, an instrument

it sounds good

then how does techno sounds so good

A-flat major is the best key. Proof? Here: youtube.com/watch?v=m-CKVr6Z1Tw

no, tonality is dead. good bye now

What are your 5 favorite composers?
What are your 5 favorite compositions?
5 favorite conductors?
5 favorite soloists?
5 favorite quartets?

Read anything interesting recently?

>tonality is dead
don't forget to trim your beard and polish your glasses hipster

i like dance of the knights, and have noticed i enjoy other russian composers. where do i get more shit like this?

and if it helps i like judas priest, the chrono trigger ost, tim hecker, death metal, the list goes on.

>blatant ad hominem
>2017

Thoughtful rhythm, harmony, melody, form, dynamics, all around musical depth and sometimes in 20th century music things like timbre. I think the composition should be complex. If it's not complex, then the compositions are lacking serious depth. Even something like Satie might seem simple, but it's deceptively complex. A good composition doesn't need to have all of the traits, but it needs to make good use of some of them.

>Thotful rhythm
>Thotful harmony
>Thotful melody
>Thotful form
>Thotful dynamics
stop anthropomorphizing abstract concpets
none of those things can be thoughtful just like music can't be intelligent

More Prokofiev, especially Scythian suite and Alexander Nevsky, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov's Piano concertos. Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade, Borodin Polovtsian Dances, Glière

Are you saying an unintelligent person could have created something like the Brandenburg Concertos? Are you saying that the use of secondary dominants, circle of fifth sequences, chord substitutions, chord structures and things of that nature are not intelligent traits? Are intelligent traits not thoughtful simultaneously?

Just finished learning the first movement of Appassonata, would anyone here have any recommendation on what should I try to learn next? I am not good enough to learn the whole Appassionata, the 3rd movement is just too difficult. I don't study music at university, it's just a hobby - I visit my old teacher once upon a time where we play the piece I am working on and then I play at a concert where her students play, so nothing too difficult. I was thinking about Chopin's first Ballade, that's about the level of that first movement. Or something else? Really, I am running out of ideas. Everything seems to be too easy or too difficult.

Thanks user

post the best countertenors and pieces you like by them

requiem for a dream theme
moonlight sonata
tales from the crypt theme
that jap guy that does silent hill scores
liszt's faust symphony
beethoven's piano concerto #1
mozart piano concerto #2

I just discovered Arvo Part and I love the pieces Fratres and Tabula Rasa.

Normally I'd just use archive to search for past discussions, but since the archive is down,
what else would I like if I'm a Steve Reich nut and enjoy this guy?

Phillip Glass, try the glassworks collection
Morton Feldman
Keith Jarrett (jk)

Thanks.
I'm more than familliar with Phillip Glass, both Glassworks and Koyaanisqatsi.

I'll check out Morton Feldman. If you have any tidbits about his history or impact on anything, I'm down to listen.

Is John Cage related at all to the school of minimalism that Reich and Part are affiliated with?

Also, is it really true that Part is the most performed living composer?
Does this mean he's extremely well known in this type of community?

Joachim

youtube.com/watch?v=hF6XfABTsQE

I like this because I like creepy music. Similarly minimalist-like like Part. I don't know much about him. Patterns in a Chromatic Field is the piece of his I commonly see mentioned but it never really clicked with me to be honest.
youtube.com/watch?v=7dSPJ2PbyYU
If you like Reich I would check out this by him:
youtube.com/watch?v=1E4Bjt_zVJc
The Kronos Quartet did a lot of pieces by people like Reich.
You're probably familiar with Hans Zimmer?
youtube.com/watch?v=RxabLA7UQ9k
And Basinski?
youtube.com/watch?v=9UBWgeSJlWw
Don't know about your last three questions. Is he well known here on /classical/? I'm not sure how much of a community we have. Probably 80% of the people on here would say he's just a "meme" but I like him a lot personally. I just don't set him side by side with Bach, Beethoven, or Mozart, the same way I wouldn't put electronic music next to them. I think of them as fundamentally different.

You wanna know how I got to Part?
this video
>youtube.com/watch?v=FK-KC2aQpcI
Was on the side of one of my favorite Reich pieces, Proverb
>youtube.com/watch?v=I5lgAUHVFC4

If you like creepy music, you'll like both of those.

I'm all over Reich's Different Trains, that used to be my favorite of his.

Thanks for these suggestions. I'll shop around some of these guys.

I take it /classical/ probably has a lot of assholes running in saying anything from Beethoven to now is a meme, so I will take that with a grain of salt if I run into that considering Fratres and the likes of Part's pieces are gorgeous to me.

my coincidence detector is going crazy on this thread.

still here

Just finished opening night of Cunning Little Vixen. Went well, although I'm having to run about too much to do the final forester scene justice, might just slow things down tomorrow to make it a bit easier. Still, cracking opera

Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=_GCQ_eAswiM

Prokofiev's piano concerti are great, particularly #2

Petzold

Toselli

youtube.com/watch?v=lhrRDlIQ-Sc

Post Bartók

>Are you saying that the use of secondary dominants, circle of fifth sequences, chord substitutions, chord structures and things of that nature are not intelligent traits?
Are you saying a composition without these things (4'33'', But What About the Crumpling of Paper...)

No, 4'33'' and pieces like that certainly have thoughtful traits. I didn't mean that any good music has to have those tonal traits that I listed, but overall they need to have some sort of complexity. Modern music has moved from tonal complexities to other complexities. 4"33" is still thoughtful and complex due to the fact that that piece has a deeper meaning, obviously.

OK, then I kinda get that.

Do you think there's anything wrong with a person who wants to make blatantly simple music?

what is the best form of music and why is it the plainchant

youtube.com/watch?v=dsn9LWh230k

if there is a "normie" gregorian chant I suppose it is this one for its popularity but I do still love it so

>faust symphony

wot?

Pavarotti

Where can i find this particular recording of spem in alium?
youtube.com/watch?v=7Cn7ZW8ts3Y

sounds better than tallis scholar

hes essential in the way that he built the foundations of western armony. but beethoven put the fucking ceiling for us to see the universe and the story of humanity written in the stars.

lol brb kys myself now.

>glassworks
everyone suggests that everytime.

for Glass my fave picks are the Satyagraha opera, the Mishima Quartet (the full OST is pretty crazy too) and Aguas da Amazonia.

The Dutch make good renaissance
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jacob_obrecht/de_wereldlijke_werken___the_secular_works/

sup cantwell

Thanks user I will give those a listen
you're welcome

y3@h

prob because it's a good and accessible introduction and most normies aren't fond of opera or at least they think they aren't and won't give it a try. I still think glassworks is the best suggestion for a beginner.

Grieg bump
youtube.com/watch?v=vn9tQPoEV0E

John Adams
Akhnaten is the best Glass opera.

youtube.com/watch?v=OitPLIowJ70

Who /patrician/ here?

>4"33" is still thoughtful and complex due to the fact that that piece has a deeper meaning, obviously.
>thoughtful
>complex
>deeper meaning

a capella Polyphony > Plainchant.

Great symphony

I haven't heard that much Feldman but one piece that gets a lot of discussion is Rothko's Chapel - and a couple of my favourites are Crippled Symmetry (glock/vibes, piano and alto flute) and Why Patterns? which is like a shorter version of CS

Pavarotti
youtube.com/watch?v=bVSS7UF3mbc

best pianist

youtube.com/watch?v=_EWl_DncXLY

also Feldman was one of the early minimalists, his music moves extremely slowly and his sense of tonality is much less strict as say Glass or Reich's - he usually avoids perfect 5ths (i think)

youtu.be/rlH5iOWh1HI

what about the Scorsese film soundtrack, Kundun was it?

is that shit good?
I hear the film is pretty decent, too. (and i've seen almost every Marty film so why not)

what does /classical/ think of stockhausen?

Will hit both these.

Any particular good place to start for John Adams?

The best

youtube.com/watch?v=unp0spwY6Ww

musescore.com/user/9827641/scores/3298091
Will modern masters ever get the recognition they deserve?

Pretty good for an alien born on Sirius

Jokes aside, no other composer used the spatial element (the direction and position of where the sound is coming from) of music as well as he did. He wrote some very interesting music, some pieces that border more on an experience than a piece of music (like stimmung) and he knew how to foster a public sensation.

Can you imagine going to see a performance, Stockhausen is there yelling at everyone through a megaphone, then 4 helicopters fly overhead, blaring music from their speakers? No one else quite did it like that.

Nixon in China and the Chairman Dances.

Nixon is great - personally my favourite of Adams' is Grand Pianolla Music, which is a double piano concerto with wind orchestra.

What are you listening to on Stravinsky's birthday?

Anything but Stravinsky.

I still can't get over how good this is youtube.com/watch?v=1_2PF7AC2hI
Telemann is gangrenously underrated.

Seems like there's barely any flute in that, struggling against all those strings. Always find Telemann too sting heavy, the Karajan on the 18th century, all detail is swamped under an excess of strings whereas Vivaldi and others bring more out. Maybe it is just the interpretations. Do like his solo flute fantasies though.

Mahler and Haydn :^)

Since someone finally uploaded the SACDs of Furt's 1953 Ring, I gave it a listen again. Jesus christ, the sound quality is quite an improvement in some areas. Unfortunately, though, it has once again reminded me how fucking boring this recording is. Totally flaccid in so many of the scenes. It's hard to believe this is the same conductor that recorded the utterly exciting '50 La Scala cycle. I suppose one must factor in declining health, and the fact that it was studio bound. Still, it's a shame since the overall quality of singing is quite exemplary, and I prefer a Modl in her prime to a Flagstad in her twilight.

I suppose I'll finally give Agon a thorough listen.

Telemann excels at composing ouvertures with strings layered underneath the soloist while Vivaldi excels at composing concertos where the soloist and the continuo speaks back and forth. There's a certain level of expectation you should have for how prominent the soloist is when you read "Telemann" or "Vivaldi", or any other composer for that matter. That said I do think the video should have been titled "concerto for flute and strings in d major" or something like that.
I haven't heard his flute fantasias, but I do like the solo violin fantasias since they bring out quite a bit of the folk influences present in Telemann's compositions. For example gypsy influences are really obvious here youtube.com/watch?v=ABDY1qmMGy4 while it's less obvious in the third movement of youtube.com/watch?v=2D-y2kJU0lg.

What did Haydn mean by this?

youtu.be/K0Un76AtOX8?t=1415