What did he mean by this?

What did he mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oDJ-DP31qAo
youtube.com/watch?v=UYf7q7bpY-0
youtube.com/watch?v=aLJKqdLVG-c
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Put him in a home already

It's mocking the (perceived) simplicity of rap beats. Van Dike Farts is a snarky grandpa

>simple = bad

Why do people think this?

isn't this the dude that wrote all those terrible lyrics for the beach boys?

Because simple music is easily made even by bad musicians who don't have the skill to write more complex music.

because its boring

maximalists, maximalists, maximalists... you're all maximalists... none of you are free of technical elitism.

low iq people desperately wanting to masquerade as something they're not so they mistake technicality for innovation

less is more

I'd much rather listen to some postmodern minimalist deconstructory piece of the same sound repeating for hours than a wanking symphony made by some self congratulatory bourgeois maximalist

the gayest thing ever said ladies and gentlemen

his passive aggressive racism is obvious

Genuine cringe

it's an eternal, dumbass debate which will go on until rock is completely forgotten or rap stops being so popular. people in rap consistently demean rock and vice versa. usually because they know absolutely nothing about the opposing genre. and it's always the absolute most unoriginal and obvious insults. rock is old, forgotten and irrelevant, and it was stolen from black people. rap has zero musical quality, no originality and comes across like bad spike lee dialogue

if you asked charlamagne the god's opinion on post-punk, or david crosby's opinion on illmatic, they would have fuck all to say. their opinion is irrelevant

Go listen to progressive rock or tool or whatever maximalist technical nerd shit cringeboy virgins like

keep going

............____________
...........|........................|
..........|.........................|
..........|..........................|
.........|.......)..=|..>|........|
.........|............................|
........|_______________|
.......|...............................|.
.......|.....F.U.N.E.R.A.L...|
......|_________________|
......|::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
..../././..............\.\.\
..../.|.\.............qp........../.|.\
.././../.\............||........../.\..\.\
../|..|..|.|..\......../..|.|..|..|\
././../.|.|.....\.........../.....|.|.\..\.\
|./.|./../.\......\.__./....../.\..\.|.\.|
/./.\.|../.\..................../.\...|./.\.\
/.|./\...|..\................../.|./\...|...\|.\

sorry but there is nothing more cringe than repetative riffs in rock now

even in metal, i dont care how fast your drummer can kickdrum, if its the same fucking double bass "fast" riff over and over that shit gets lame as fuck and sounds cookie cutter

it doesnt have to be as autistic as meshugga or dream theatre but at least mix it up

someone like Testament is a good example of a a band that is JUST BARELY toeing that line of mediocrity and repetative "complex sounding" riffs, but i still think they're okay

but theres a ton of Nu bands who use those simple type of lyrics based on today's standards of riffs and are popular as fuck

No, less is not more. Less is less, more is more.

youtube.com/watch?v=oDJ-DP31qAo

this

>Because simple music is easily made even by bad musicians who don't have the skill to write more complex music.
literally has no impact on how the music sounds try again
wrong lmfao
this. the illusion of complexity has ruined many people's taste

no idea how that autism relates to my post or anything. i'm just thinking about that dream theatre album promo now

Uptoke

Reddit and Morty

Finding the right balance is everything

>Why do people think this?
>Because simple music is easily made even by bad musicians who don't have the skill to write more complex music.
Reading comprehension, mate.

/thread
Tupac was right

>perceived

this niggas literal top listened to track on spotify is 3 piano notes

youtube.com/watch?v=UYf7q7bpY-0

no you dumb fuck lmao
I have been a metalhead for a regrettingly long time of my life and I've been a hip hop head for a better of my life. That stupid rock vs rap thing exclusively happens in the heads of self proclaimed rock and metal fans. It procreates the whole subculture, I've seen people wearing shirts that say "anti hip hop alliance". The hip hop community has no interest in that. Or maybe they once did back in the early 2000s when hip hop went mainstream. But it moved over that ridiculously fast. It's been years since i've seen anyone diss metal or rock for no reason. On the contrary, hip hop is incredibly dependent and therefore openly celebrates creativity, many producers listen to different genres for inspiration including rock. Hip hop is full of rock samples.

It also happens in the head of hiphop/electro fans. Don't fool yourself.

no it really doesn't actually.

again, no idea how that autism relates to my post or contradicts it any way. you were into metal and now you're into hip hop, that's cool

youtube.com/watch?v=aLJKqdLVG-c

take it to salon.com faggot

it means the debate doesnt exist

obviously overwhelming to his baby ears

>It's been years since i've seen anyone diss metal or rock for no reason.

It must never happen then. Thanks guy.

>I have been a metalhead
>I've been a hip hop head
>I've seen people wearing shirts that say
>It's been years since i've seen

Ever notice how people who argue politics in this way are usually really fucking dumb? That should concern you. Your experience is not necessarily universal, or representative, or even meaningful.

what about kenny west saying we the new rock stars

Rap is cringey shit, r3dditfags. Deal with it.

>NOBODY SAYS THAT STUFF ANYMORE
>says a bunch of that type of stuff

jfc man. your entire post is the type of unbelievably stupid shit metalheads say about rap and fuccbois say about rock music

what a fucking post, top kek

It's true of a lot of rap beats though tbf. Not necessarily a bad thing, but many do just consist of very simple keyboard melodies
Calm down Mike, it was decades ago now

well, is he wrong

Why can't we all love both simplicity and complexity?

desu, it seems like a bit of a joke, but not a petty one or anything. I'm sure he appreciates his work.
I'm not picking anything passive aggressive or racist off of this

hes pointing out 2 black artists in a row and demeaning them

its obvious as fuck

at first the 2pac post could be taken as a general knock against hip hop since hes often the most popular in history and his literally most popular hit Ambitions of a Ridah has a literal 3 note hook/riff that plays thru the entire song

so he had a great point.

but then you go to his twtter and see the tweet just before points out Marvin Gayes biggest hit and earliest hit of his career that sparked his career, and points out that its written by a white man

then you see the obvious passive agressiveness

he didnt post a picture of the writter, instead an image of marvin gaye and the song info

i dont care either way, but its obvious the guy is a old white racist and instead of just coming out, he does it passive aggressively like a shia lecuck

Faggot. You haven't even listened to minimalism you're just making shit up. Even the minimalist composers knew that to make the most out of a simple foundation, they had to build up complex melodies and rhythms to remain interesting or evocative.

>Lamont Dozier
>white
In what fucking universe?

There's nothing racist about this though

>metalhead
>hip hop head
>unironically using these terms

I don't have to read the rest of your shitty post. Remove yourself

that nigga look housenigger as fuck

Well you have to admit that most rappers don't give a fuck about the music. They just call the music "the beat".

>the formatting
>"shia lecuck"

how old are you? i'm genuinely curious

average commie avant-teen faggot

>most musicians don't give a fuck about the music they just call the music the music

>implying a beat encompasses everything you can possibly hear in a rap song other than the vocals

you're making my point for me beautifully

>most rappers don't give a fuck about the music
imagine being this wrong, especially nowadays pretty much every cat in the game is aware that the vocals are one of the least important things on a track

is it okay when the black people are from jamaica

this is fascinating bait my dude,please explain to me how a beat isnt music, and if you think a beat isnt music, please explain what you think a 'riff' or 'lick' or 'tune' is

Go tell someone who gives a shit. No one on this board gives a shit about brown boys. Using the term "shia lecuck" doesn't transform your leftist whining into a persuasive argument.

Agreed.
t. "I don't get Pollock or Rothko and clearly we should go back to artistic standards from 300 years ago" plebs

No, he's praising Lamont Dozier and knocking 2Pac. The message is "black people used to make awesome music, now they don't."

Back in Pac''s day they certainly didn't care much. I think Dr Dre and Outkast cared, but that's about it.

kys mouthbreather

People write music in the style of their time. They write what they know.
A student of 500 years ago could come up with Polyphony. A student 300 years ago would write canons and passacaglias. A student of 100 years ago would be writing Romantic character pieces.

Today, it's Post-Cage piano works.

GET WITH THE TIMES, GRAMPS. BACH IS FUCKING LAAAAME

Bach isn't lame but he certainly isn't objectively a better composer in any sense than John Cage, Morton Feldman, or Karlheinz Stockhausen.

>12 (You)'s

Impressive

Postmodernism was conceived as a way to bend the world to your cynical way of thinking because you don't want to have to learn conventional logic and, in extreme cases, fact.

that isnt an explanation though is it dude, i asked for an explanation

t. STEMfag brainlet too dumb to get Pynchon, Adorno, Derrida, Debord or Foucault so he reactionary kneejerks to a right wing objectivist black and white view

Modernism is/was cynical, Postmodernism is redemptive.
also this

Jordan Peterson please go.

But that's still not true. Wu-tang was carried by RZA who naturally cared a lot about the instrumentals as he produced most. Boot camp clik (heltah skeltah, black moon, smif n wessun) were all carried by and had huge respect for da beatminerz who made their music, half of gang starr was DJ premier, on the west coast the focus on good instrumentals and beats was huge as some lousy one snare one kick beats wouldn't resonate in clubs. Even earlier than this, Jam Master Jay of run DMC is an even earlier examples of the music producer taking a vital part of a rap group.

Maybe you have mistaken that people respected an MC who could do well on any beat with rappers not caring what beats they rapped on?

>implying anyone gets derrida

"postmodern minimalist deconstructory piece"
is as bourgeoisie as it gets nowadays, just not as blatant. read cornelius cardew's "stockhausen serves imperialism"

>is as bourgeoisie as it gets nowadays
...no. Blatantly false.
In a world where Harrison Birtwistle, Wolfgang Rihm, Helmut Lachenmann, and Thomas Ades are around, you cannot say Max Richter, Olafur Arnalds, and Eric Whitacre are bourgeoisie. That's factually wrong.

dude shut your fucking mouth

pleb

enlighten me. I don't know these artists

These are artists reliant upon the older, more Modernist generation.

Obviously, this is an exaggeration: the four of them are all Postmodern in their actual philosophy and approach. But the tonality, the form, the symphonized specifics of their works are just a continuation of Wagner/Schoenberg/Boulez lineage.

They all write LONG works, with questionable tonality. These long works are often intentionally disruptive, intentionally trying to speak to a heightened understanding of counterpoint and polyrhythm. Or, in Lachenmann's case, an understanding of technique.

Richter, Arnalds, and Whitacre are not assuming anything of their audience. They write their music purely based in sounds that they enjoy. There is no weighty rhetoric in Lux Aurumque: it's just pretty choral music.

Does that make it better? No. But it is not bourgeoisie

>especially nowadays pretty much every cat in the game

lmfao

this 100 percent

does that make you sad?

The point is that a lot of hiphop now is less focused on the MC.

What are you even on about? Van Dyke is a cuck lefty who tweets all the time about evil white men and Drumpf. Don't you have a communist manifesto to peruse?

Zero self-awareness

lmaoing @ all those plebbit fags getting baited

When you use terms like "bourgeois," you give these people openings to pontificate their neological scripts.

>read cornelius cardew's "stockhausen serves imperialism"
I just read that (well the portion directed at Stockhausen, at least) really just seemed like a long form of saying "Religion is the opiate of the masses."

lmao! Yes Epic Bait, Bro. hopefully all these dumb redditors will GO BACK! lol

>Richter, Arnalds, and Whitacre are not assuming anything of their audience. They write their music purely based in sounds that they enjoy. There is no weighty rhetoric in Lux Aurumque: it's just pretty choral music.
So in other words, it's just "art for art's sake", am I correct? The book actually discusses this and tries to make the point that there is no such thing as "art for art's sake", since all art is made by humans and therefore born of the human interpretation of the surrounding world. It then states that claiming "art for art's sake" is a form of intellectual dishonesty, and in fact this art is just a reaction to the current state of the decaying bourgeoisie system and does not reflect the class struggle of the proletariat.
I don't fully agree with this and I'm not sure where I stand on this. I don't think I've fully explained it well enough either. I'm interested in hearing your opinion though.

Well I'm not a philosopher, I'm a practical musician. And I can tell you that Minimalist music is not for the wealthy. The 80 year old white men are paying for the other 80 year old white men's complex, atonal music. Not the Minimalist music.

blasphemous comparison

to be fair, the three random piano notes are sort of one of Tupac's musical trademarks. Plus, am I the only one who wants that piano?

>bourgeois maximalist
That is the greatest thing I've heard on Sup Forums for a very long time.

bumping