What is it like to be in a mental hospital/psych ward?

What is it like to be in a mental hospital/psych ward?

Everyone definitely had issues there, but mostly kept to themselves. However there were some loud mouths that loved to cause problems. One of them even tried starting a psych ward gang inside with me. 10/10 would go suicidal again

it's nuts

boring. i've been in twice. there were two wards, one for regular people and the other was broken people. regular people are people who threatened someone, said weird stuff, tried to kill themselves, etc. broken people were a bunch of ugly fucks and one time we have "arts and crafts" together and they got all frustrated and demanded to leave even though we were just like, stringing plastic strings through beads.

one chick i met was a former stripper and she had tried to kill herself by drinking a bottle of GHB. she had a giant "bubble" sort of formation on her forehead. i asked her what it was and she was bizarre and ditzy and smiled saying "i don't know". i asked if i could touch it and she smiled and said "sure". it was like... an inch wide water bubble. i also met some weird old lady who would hallucinate and trip out on wall textures on meds.

most of the time, it's boring as fuck. the food isn't bad though...

It gets hectic some days but most of the time it's pretty chill. Normally there's like 1 really bad person and the rest are mild. Bad as in, spreading poop on the walls of their room, or raging around the unit screeching and franticly searching for anything and everything to throw at you.

it was a good place to sober up and get back to normal. man, I could talk for a minute about this. I went to psych twice for alcoholic binges, and the second time I went to 28 day program and sobered up.

How long did you have to stay in?

can't tell the whole experience, still in it.
but hey, we're getting out soon!

Stayed 7 days, but they asked if I needed to stay back longer but I didn't want to stay in there any longer than I had to.

I've been working in one for about a year now.

How did it effect your recovery?

My doctors said that it might make me worse as I would be ashamed that I had to be admitted.

That's subjective, but I will say when I stayed there it didn't really help. I just wanted to get the fuck out of there.

I was there for about 6 days in psych, went to an inpatient rehab program for 28 days

The way I cope with everyday anxiety is to get in my car and go for a drive, so being stuck in psych probably wouldn't help.

I've been offered admission multiple times, but managed to convince drs otherwise.

Preddy good crackers and apple juice.

>Betterthanjail/10

can`t recommend it. If you`re not that fucked up in the head that you really have to end up there than don`t.

No shoestrings. No curtains. No sheets on the beds. I hope you enjoy having people monitor you when you are showering, cause you won't do that again anymore. Hope you enjoy not shaving, cause no. Hope you enjoy dozens of mindless zombies shambling around only half aware they're even fucking alive, yourself included for he first day and a half. Food sucks. People suck. It sucks, OP.

>Suicide watch in a mental hospital in South Carolina about twelve years ago.

I've been to 3 different hospitals and had three completely different experiences. My first time was pretty scary, cause I had no clue what to expect, but once you get used to it it really isn't so bad. Most people are in there just to work on themselves, they don't really give a fuck about anyone else. You do get a big mix of people in there though so there's always gonna be a few oddballs

In hindsight it was probably the drugs I was on that made everyone seem like zombies. I also have/had schizophrenia and it was just a fucking awful experience.

Currently working as a doctor in psych. From what my patients tell me its mostly mindnumbingly boring. If we consider you suicidal we will watch you shower, shit, eat sleep. If not we mostly leave you alone and encourage you to talk about your issues and whatnot. We also annoy you by waking you up early and making you parttake in meals, activities and such. Also we discuss meds a lot, and usually try to convince our patients to take them.

Can vouch for this.
It was a fucking nightmare, and honestly even typing to one of you assholes right now is fucking making me shake. No offense but I can't stand you guys.

Pretty boring. Surreal at times.

I was involuntarily committed because I stopped going to a psycho church with my psycho family. Mother called the police and told them I was threatening to kill myself and that I had a gun.

She was actually tying to get me killed by the cops, but my little sister tipped me off and I went outside and laid on the ground with my hands behind my head before they arrived.

I was kept under observation for almost a week. My guess is that my family had made up several stories about my behavior, none of which was true, and it took that long for the 'experts' at the institution to realize they were dealing with a totally sane man that simply wanted nothing to do with his bizarre family any more.

Everything is sterile. No sharp objects, no sheets, no anything that could be used to hurt yourself or others. Orderlies are huge steroid/fatbeasts, and love to manhandle anybody who shows the slightest bit of resistance.

They had a complete and total meltdown when they found me doing push-ups and calisthenics in my room, and attempted to write me up for "preparing to resist". They acted like I had literally attacked somebody and that I needed to be restrained and drugged....because I was trying to take care of my body and not going to the gym was driving me up the wall.

The worst and scariest part was the extrajudicial nature of the hold. My lawyer could do nothing.

Food was bad, bed was hard, felt very dehumanizing and by the end of the week I was not feeling well at all, physically or mentally. It seemed like a place where crazy people are kept crazy for profit.

I kept my shit together tough, and they realized that they had no reason to keep me there since I showed no indicators of any type of actual suicidal behavior.

Then they tried to charge me for the stay, which is when my lawyer actually got to do some work. Sued the PD and the institution and settled for ~30k.

Just enough to start my life two states away.

Shit situation but I'm sure the 30k is nice.

Whats happened since with your family?

whos in the pic? sauce

TL;DR "the fuck do you mean I can't bring my blanket to group time?"
It isn't bad.

...then you realised that you had been an actor in "one flew over the cuckoo's nest"?

Read Moon Knight. You'll befine.

Lets see
On the second day i was hit with a chair(because some faggot wanted to argue with staff and he threw it and i just so happened to be in the way)
There was this girl who always talked in riddles my favorites were
>lunch brunch captian crunch
>no mam green eggs and ham
And my all time favorite
>el paso,sumbraro man happy
She would go around saying i saw her naked from her window. Which i could vut not clearly. Then she would say we were talking through the vents that dont exist.
Just the worsy oark was waiting around to get shuffled around to the next bit of therapy or whatever

I was having some issues, went in voluntarily, stayed just over 24hrs then got my self outta there thinking "fuck me, I'm absolutely fine and dandy"

Been in a psychiatric ward 6 or 7 times now.

Most boring thing ever.

It sucks I went to psych ward after getting kicked out of rehab for cutting myself. Almost everyday someone would throw a tantrum. Had one guy go in other peoples rooms and piss on their beds.

You're in an environment meant to promote tranquility and sedation. You are supposed to relax. But you are surrounded by people who are either examining everything you do, or they're crazy - one or two might be violently crazy... you never know.

Every conversation you have is either off color - from someone's craziness, or it's fake - someone is testing your thinking, your reactions, your emotions.

Then you have these "group therapy" sessions where you find out who can't think, who can't think for themselves, and who thinks way too much.

Then there's you - and whatever reason landed you in that bizarre place.

like u dont kno

touchstones? lol

Fucking nice work man.

You escaped, survived and conquered. Keep going.

>iseewatudidthere.png

Kek

If you can accept the situation and ALL the people involved then it's comfy as all fuck