Why is Kingdom of Heaven so underrated? It's Scott's best no doubt, better than Gladiator

Why is Kingdom of Heaven so underrated? It's Scott's best no doubt, better than Gladiator

Other urls found in this thread:

pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-preface/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot-in-pot_refrigerator
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

does anyone know where to get the directors cut online

Amazon.com

i meant for free nigga

rekt

The internet, its everywhere

Sup Forums circlejerks this movie so much that its now overrated

not if you don't let Sup Forums tell you what and what not to like

It's probably worth a rewatch, but desu Bloom killed a lot of it for me and I didn't feel that the action sequences were nearly as exciting as Gladiator.

>Bloom killed a lot of it
came here to say this. i won't even rewatch it because of that fucker. ruined LotR for me a bit, too, but at least those movies made up for it

It's good though

still has some major issues

1 - Bloom is a terrible lead with no charisma

2 - The decision to have everyone speak English and not their native languages even when speaking to each other is distracting and ruins the authenticity. Too Hollywood.

3 - The film misses many opportunities for action scenes and battles, skipping everything to save it for the big final siege, which is pretty underwhelming in this day and age. after over three hours and all the buildup, it doesn't deliver.

A big historical epic pushing 4 hours with this much attention to detail and this much talent is actually pretty infuriating because of what could have been. But some really bad decisions just killed it.

I may need to watch it again, but all of your complaints sound really pedantic.

was it autism?

We need a best Mask thread is what we need OP.
Wood to Metal, Metal to Latex, Latex to Leather.
Even the magical sort is allowed.
We need a good ole Mask thread.

>1 - Bloom is a terrible lead with no charisma
so youre shocked that a simple blacksmith doesnt have the same charisma has knights and noblemen who have been trained to be leaders their whole lives?

Is it overly positive towards muslims?

I mean I'm not Sup Forums, I just hate when movies patronize some group. It's kills the narrative for me

he thinks that he has a valid point

bitch we dont even give a fuck what professional critics think, why do we need to give a fuck about what you say. please fuck off with your retarded opinion

It's only overrated when reddit likes it.

What is Ridley Scott most overlook film and why is it the White Squall?

He better have some sort of charisma if I'm gonna have to watch him for 3 hour uninterrupted.

Great music, great sets, great battles, great acting. Saladin's theme is one of the most haunting pieces of music I've heard and really captures his essence

Aside from Orlando but even then I think it's one of his better roles

Because most people never saw the director's cut of the film.

All death is certain.

Not really
Both the Christians and Muslims were pretty horrible

Whenever I've told anyone even vaguely hipsterish about this movie I could tell they got turned off as soon as I tell them the title, as if they think it's going to be like passion of the christ or something. I've reached the point that I'm pretty sure that it was held back in part by that.

>main character is an atheist, pretty much all "good" christians in the movie also sneer at evil, barbaric christendom
>every christian priest is a cartoony sadist pedophile
>Saladin and muslims are noble, valiant folk, who respect their enemies, dindu nuffin and just want their city back
What did Scott mean by this?

He's not an atheist, he's a man struggling with his faith and seeing how corrupt men can be. The good Christians sneer at the evil, barbaric Christians because that's what they are. None of them ever said that Christianity was even or even Christendom. There's only two major priests, the town priest, and the bishop, neither are pedophiles and are simply just corrupt. Saladin is the only noble Muslim because that's how he was portrayed historically; his advisors are not particularly noble or valiant, and there was never any pretense they wanted the city for anything other than political reasons.

Because the theaterical was shit, and the directors cut run time scares a lot of people.

the extended cut is too fucking long

GOD WILLS IT

You say it as a meme and because it's fun to say, but I hope you realize the movie makes a point that fanatical men who justify their insane actions with "because God wills it" are the bad guys.

we are the bad guys, you'd have to be pretty delusional in the first place if you didn't acknowledge that

>i'm a pretentious contrarian faggot that can only set myself apart by disliking what's popular

Because only you and I saw White Squall and that was while it was still on VHS.

>I'm a liberal retard who can't into historical perspective

I said that's what the film is making a point of, not what I believe. But regardless, it has nothing to do with historical perspective when you realize that someone saying God wills it doesn't mean it's true or that they have any idea what God wants.

How many millions of Y IS KINDUM OF HEVEN SO UNDERRATED threads need to be made until you idiots realize that a pocket of teenage genrefaggots on fucking Sup Forums is exactly why this film is not underrated? It just has a dedicated following of plebeian fucking autists, that coincidentally probably haven't even seen Lawrence of Arabia or Ben-Hur or anything of the like, so this mediocre piece of shit is actually new and exciting to them

It's a fucking medicore piece of shit.
It's rated as a mediocre piece of shit for this fucking reason
It's not underrated
It's appropriately rated

stop
fucking
making
this
thread
you
fucking
plebs

Guy de Lusignan did nothing wrong

>the character being a blacksmith explains bloom's emotionless performance

>it's a christians were the bad guys episode

>that coincidentally probably haven't even seen Lawrence of Arabia or Ben-Hur
>tfw I like these types of movies because Ben-Hur is my favorite movie
Why the fuck else would I be into period pieces? Without something like Lawrence of Arabia, Ten Commandments, Fall of the Roman Empire, The Robe, or Ben Hur is a base for interest, why would anyone take the time to watch the modern epic period piece? Doesn't make sense to me at least.

>All of those cities became Christian through entirely peaceful means and not because any other religion was illegal
>Dey dindunuffin, dey was peaceful monks, praying and giving alms every sunday

islam literally did the same thing and are continually doing it to this day

The movie paints christian templars as evil mass murderers who slaughter poor innocent muslims. It paints Islam as a rational religion of peace. It's definitely biased as fuck.

>It paints Islam as a rational religion of peace

thats wrong as fuck

So don't pretend like one are clearly the bad guys.
>doing it to this day
>a warlord group of 20k is indicative of Islam and not the dozens of Muslim countries who aren't invading their neighbors.

Its definitely not underrated here, I see a thread about it almost daily. Is it always the same OP? I've seen it a long time ago and remember it as pretty dull even though I generally like action movies and wuxia etc

>saladin dindu nuffin he just fightin for what belongs to islam
>da city those evil racist white christians took 100 years ago when dey killed and raped us all!

wheredoyouthinkweare.jpg

With that said, some passages from the Quran are really fucked up and the fact that its supposed to be the literal words of god means you can interpret it freely.

Yes because 90%+ muslim nations are the pinnacle of human achievement.

>didn't watch the movie: the post

>movingthegoalposts.exe

They are fucked up, so are plenty of nearly identical passages from the Old Testament that Jews and Christians still believe is the word of God.
That majority of nations in general are shitty. The Middle East is a fucked up region, it doesn't have to do with their religion.

what are you talking about? that's exactly what the movie is.

wow you definitely weren't paying attention. Sallahadin was talking like he didn't believe in any of the Allah Allah bullshit. His creepy ISIS looking henchman was representative of the fanatics on his side and he didn't like the fucker too much. Plus when Balian asks what Jerusalem is worth at the end, he blurts out his true feelings:

NOTHING
O
T
H
I
N
G

Because it's a pile of ancient rocks on Barely fertile land with no real strategic value for his purposes of expanding the Ayyubid dynasty. He only fought for it because the rest of the fanatical Muzzies wouldn't follow him if he didn't respond to Templar raids and shit.

Read into the politics of the move a bit better before posting dumb shit like this

>Ridley Scott most overlook film
>White Squall

No.

Ill battle you nigga
The old testament may be fucked, but the new contains nothing like some of the gnarlier passages from the quran, and it was written 600 years earlier

In typical retard libcuck fashion, you completely failed to refute the point I made. Are you illiterate? Nothing you just said has anything to do with my point. My point literally still stands completely untouched by your reply.

No it isn't.
Both sides were monsters and none of the priests did anything pedophilic.

>comparing religious texts in a vacuum like they're fucking pokemon or something

Nigger you're on a television and film discussion board you stupid fuck. The point is discussion. How fucking thick are you?

Image board with discussion.
If you're going to nitpick, be specific.

That's true, but that doesn't change the facts that Christians and Jews believe it's not any less valid. Yet for some reason you don't hear most Jews or Christians talking about those passages very often. For Jews it's especially relevant, since the Tanakh is their holy book and it's not very different from the Quran, yet Israel doesn't stone gays or kill Jews who work on the Sabbath.

It was a load of christian propaganda

The thing with the quran is that youre not allowed to do that. Its supposed to be the literal, exact words of GOD, the eternal all-knowing God, not a product of its time and enviorment

Saladin's "Nothing... everything" comment put a lot into perspective about religion for me

So are plenty of passages in the Old Testament, specifically the laws and their punishments. Religious people have a habit of applying and forgetting the parts of their religion that they like.

What are Kingdom threads worth?

Alex McKidd should've been the Balian instead of just a bit part.

>nothing
>everything

What did saladin "the KKKrusader killer" mean by this

literally what did he mean by this

What did he mean by this?

>The Middle East is a fucked up region, it doesn't have to do with their religion.
Kek

pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-preface/

>A majority of Muslims in several countries think adulterers and apostates should be put to death

>Only 29 percent of Lebanese Muslims said they wanted Shariah, or Islamic, law as the law of the land.

>In contrast, in every other Arab country surveyed — Iraq, the Palestinian territories, Morocco, Egypt, Jordan and Tunisia — a majority of Muslims indicated they supported Shariah.

>Muslims are more concerned about Muslim extremism than Christian extremism

>Forty percent of Muslims in the Palestinian territories and 39 percent of Muslims in Afghanistan said attacking civilian targets to defend Islam is often or sometimes justified.

>Further, 18 percent of Muslims in Afghanistan and the Palestinian territories said such actions are “often” justified.

The OT laws don't apply anymore

The sacredness of Jerusalem or some shit senpai. I'm sure its supposed to mirror Balian's lack of belief as he talks about the city as rocks and stone

Worthless in reality
But the muslims will die for it because of their shitty religion regardless

You just ignored everything else I said. People choose what of their religion to believe, and people are products of their environment, and the Middle East is a shitty environment. Not to mention Sharia isn't just hijabs and beheadings, it's a entire legal system that governs every aspect of life, and there's plenty in it to pick and choose, so while they say they support Sharia, there's no telling how much they support or what.
To Jews they do. And to Christians they're still the words of God, just a god that's figured out a better system to fix shit.

Worth noting because the reasons are made up stuff people choose to believe, more often than not to cynically exert power over other people.

Worth everything because just because it's made up, that doesn't mean it's not real, and doesn't mean it lacks greater meaning :^)

Basically subverting a lot of the fedora tipping they do in the movie, or highlighting religion as a lever of power, depending how cynical you're feeling.

more importantly how the fuck did saladin have ice in the desert?

My dick was up when she cuddled with that cute little shota

Collecting from the mountains and transported in primitive iceboxs like en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot-in-pot_refrigerator

>christian wearing henna

>no real value
It was an incredibly important centre of trade so that's nonsense.

The film paints all of the sympathetic characters as heavily questioning their religion, verging on agnostic or atheist. It tries to deny that anything was ever really done for pious reasons and there was always some sinful, ulterior motive or, in the case of sympathetic characters, a humanist compassion.

I like the film, but it's complete nonsense.

>Compassion is component in the person's religion
>but to make my argument valid I'll say it was HUMANIST compassion
The David Thewlis never shows any doubt in his religion, just simply says what is right is what is right and men will use religion to justify their actions. Jeremy Irons is against the fanatics for trying to ruin the peace. And the king also says that what is good is good, no matter if it's inconvenient or if someone told you to do something otherwise.

Orlando Bloom is the only one heavily questioning, and that's just an aspect of his character.

The difference being that the Quranic equivalent of the old and new testament, Muhammad in mecca and then medina, is that it flips that concept around and more barbarous passages supercede, and are conceded to do so, the previous more generally peaceful approach.

It means he, in the context of this film, is an idiot who doesn't think a major centre of trade and pilgrimage is of physical worth.

Agree completely.

So, what you're saying is the Quran regresses to the same level as the Old Testament? Not exactly seeing the point.

Are you retarded?

Let's be honest here, killing jews is justified no matter their combat status or age and gender.

If the old testament was the new testament they'd be comparable. Chronology is important, notably so in Islam. I'm not a Christian and I think there's an argument that many do cherry pick and ignore that much of the old testament isn't made redundant by the new. I'm also neither Christian nor Muslim. However, I would prefer a Christian fundamentalist than an Islamic one and I think it's disingenuous to try and make the claim that their textual bases are comparably immoral.

Most people who seem to like to talk about these particular religious texts seem rarely to have bothered reading either. That goes for the religious and non-religious alike.

While a comparison between Christianity and Islam might not be comparable, it certainly is between Judaism and Islam. With the Tanakh and the Quran they are comparably immoral, yet one never hears about a Jewish fundamentalist.

I just watched a film that's very loosely related but I thought it was good so I'm gonna blogpost here and say that Black Death was a quite good movie. The ending actually made me say "Damn..." Good acting. Good story. A surprising twist.

8/10. Ty for reading my blogpost.

You're welcome.

Can I get recommendations for movies set in 1000-1400 time period?

joan of arc (48)
saint joan (57)
joan of arc (99)
the messenger: the story of joan of arc (99)
the passion of joan of arc (28)
joan the maiden part 1&2 (94)
joanne d'arc, le pouvoir et l'innocence (89)
the silence of joan (11)

Thank bruh, I've only seen two of these