I don't get it. Why is her new album getting highly acclaimed? It sounds to me like slightly above average...

I don't get it. Why is her new album getting highly acclaimed? It sounds to me like slightly above average, mostly generic pop music. I like some elements about it but no way it is as good as people and music publications are claiming it is. Am I missing something?

DON'T U HEAR BRAND NEW SOUNDS IN UR MIND?!?!?

>Am I missing something?
no
it's just that mediocre pop is perpetually overrated by anyone and everyone

Paid shills. This happens often, just don't worry about it and keep digging for actual good recs.

Its psychedelic and forward thinking, with lyrics operating as emotional beacons for further sonic exploration.

It's a concept album about partying and love and the emotions that come with it, especially in your early twenties. All coalescing into one unified work that not only defines the artist, but an entire generation at the same time.

I'm so so sorry for your pleb defunct ears. Now fuck off!

It's the songwriting. Best lyricist since Joni Mitchell

Lmao. Listen to more music, nigga.

>Am I missing something?
A vigina

>lyrics operating as emotional beacons for further sonic exploration.
>coalescing into one unified work that not only defines the artist, but an entire generation at the same time.

These sentences are literally meaningless

try harder next time

yah okay. get back to me when you've listened through Missteps III a couple times.

Cringe AF

Pure Heroin >>>>>>>>>> shit >>>>>>>> Melodrama

damn she's ugly af

I love pure heroine, personally I think its okay but what I loved so much about pure heroine is that it had quite minimal beats that allowed her voice to shine but now it just sounds overproduced and me no likey

>forward thinking
Oh my fucking god. Forward thinking music is gone for like 60 years already and you still referencing to something today as forward thinking. How the fuck can I tolerate this shit.

Fuck these 16yr olds.

>forward thinking music is gone for 60 years

you wuz born in da rong generashun

because it's really good

> slightly above average, mostly generic pop music
considering what they will rate average, completely generic pop music, is it any surprise?

Yeah-yeah. I'm already dead.

this. considering what they will rate kanye west trash, is it any surprise?

What's psychedelic about it? I just finished listening to it and you must be talking about a different album.

I haven't even listened to it but I can tell you why. It's because for modern music critics and listeners, the music itself doesn't matter. What matters is """good"""* lyrics, lots of hype, heavily marketing the artist as an """"independent thinker"""" who """""isn't""""" a music industry drone.

As a result you have albums like this one and Damn - both very mediocre sonically and when you take away all the other fluff - getting highly rated by dumbass pseudointellectuals.

"Good" bring defined as being considered good by sub-100 IQ pseuds. e.g., "wow, so conscious, so deep, so meaningful, so poignant, so mature for her age". At least Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys and LMFAO fans didn't claim their lyrics were good.

>Am I missing something?
Context. In the context of A-list pop singers releasing solo albums, Melodrama is probably the best, most tastefully done pop album to come out in years.

>Why is her new album getting highly acclaimed?
who is giving it high acclaim?

Most people so far who've actually listened to it. Are you incapable of reading?

Can you point to anyone in specific?

ultraviolet

Just go on RYM or AOTY and check out the user reviews/ratings

Yes. Here on /mu, or are you talking about outside sources?

In that case, you can click the reviews and read for yourself WHY the album is getting highly acclaimed.

well done, mate. masterful.

Same reason Random Access Memories was so well received by "critics"

Question was already answered desu. See

The opinions of people who actually post reviews on RYM literally don't matter.

>most tastefully

Thats no answer.

Whose opinions on the Internet DO matter - in your opinion?

You can dislike the answer all you want (and even argue against it if you feel so inclined), but that doesn't make it not an answer.

Mine

Modern music journalism since 2012 has been nothing but critics dancing around the obvious and incontrovertible fact that Lana Del Rey is the only truly unique and innovative female artist in the pop mainstream, mostly by boosting an ever more cringeworthy succession of mainstream "alternative" artists; a phenomenon Lana herself seems to have wryly addressed on the track "Fucked My Way Up to the Top"

No one's.

Most reviewers don't know how to talk about music, they just know how to talk about the lyrics, so if they like the lyrical themes they'll praise the album.

Do you really wonder (((who))) is making this happen?

That's true, and critics don't like her because her theme is "Americana".

This objectively true.

...How many of you are there? (I said "opinions" with an 'S' for a reason, user.)

Only one. Mine.